Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

2 minutes ago, tater said:

I can split them only if the quoted post has a return in it.

Testing that...

2 minutes ago, tater said:

If someone writes a paragraph, it cannot be split.

I did that by highlighting the relevant text and clicking "quote this" in the little black box that appears.

3 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Testing that...

I did that by highlighting the relevant text and clicking "quote this" in the little black box that appears.

I get no such "quote this" box. If I hit the quote icon above within a quote, it quotes it out as a nested quote.

Tried in 3 different browsers.

$#@Q$#@!%$#!

Who would ever think to do that? Seriously, THAT is the solution, instead of just letting us mark up the posts?

I feel like throwing my keyboard at the screen right now.

Why bother with the "+ Quote" link at the bottom of every post? In every forum I have used for decades now, you "quote" the entire post you are replying to, then add breaks as needed. I would never have thought to highlight text in an unquoted post minus this discussion. Not ever. What a $#@!$ UI.

/rant

1 minute ago, tater said:

$#@Q$#@!%$#!

Who would ever think to do that? Seriously, THAT is the solution, instead of just letting us mark up the posts?

Why bother with the "+ Quote" link at the bottom of every post? In every forum I have used for decades now, you "quote" the entire post you are replying to, then add breaks as needed. I would never have thought to highlight text in an unquoted post minus this discussion. Not ever. What a $#@!$ UI.

/rant

Ummm, new technology has new ways.  I've been around for a very long time, since before the internet was even a glimmer.  And yes, the older software works that way, but I actually like this, it is (in most cases) more efficient

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, new technology has new ways.  I've been around for a very long time, since before the internet was even a glimmer.  And yes, the older software works that way, but I actually like this, it is (in most cases) more efficient

4 minutes ago, tater said:

$#@Q$#@!%$#!

/rant

The "+" bit at the bottom is for quoting multiple posts like I just did. It's a QoL thing. Keyboards are good for screens. Go for it :wink:

Wouldn't highlighting also work for multiple posts? The existence of the quote button, that looks like all past quote features, including those on this very forum before, suggests that that is how one quotes.

More importantly, where is the UI cue that this is a thing? Where is the manual for this forum? If you have to ask someone how a UI works, it's a bad UI. (and I've been around since DARPANET, myself)

Also, if splitting a quote with a couple carriage returns works for text separated by a return, why not make it work for any 2 carriage returns? Until I sat there and experimented a few minutes ago, I just assumed the forum was flakey, and would sometimes split a quote, sometimes not.

I just noticed that the + and Quote were not the same. Never hit or even moused over the + before. (again, why would I?) The + has a tooltip, the Quote doesn't. Perhaps it needs to have one that says that hitting that quotes the entire post, which cannot be split, and to seek help somewhere for selectively quoting?

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If there was a wall of text post, wouldn't it be more efficient to quote the entire thing, then split out as you reply to each subset of text? The select and quote line by line would pretty much require opening the post to be quoted in another window, then move back and forth (say it's on the top of the page).

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It stinks on mobile, tho. Getting iOS to highlight what you want is... an adventure. I’ve accidentally quoted entire threads before. 

1 hour ago, tater said:

I can split them only if the quoted post has a return in it.

1 hour ago, tater said:

If someone writes a paragraph, it cannot be split.

The easiest way that I've found is to press enter twice, and then click in the gap, then press enter again. It just worked for me here.

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

The easiest way that I've found is to press enter twice,

and then click in the gap, then press enter again. It just worked for me here.

Huzzah!

Odd that when it's 2 lines, the double-click on "return" alone does the job without having to go to the mouse.

Just now, tater said:

Huzzah!

Hip hip hooray!

Just now, tater said:

Odd that when it's 2 lines, the double-click on "return" alone does the job without having to go to the mouse.

Not really. I just was playing around with your quote, and it seems like they both end up with the same result, which needs a double-enter between the two lines. The difference is where your cursor goes. :)

Hip hip hooray!

Not really. I just was playing around with your quote, and it seems like they both end up

with the same result, which needs a double-enter between the two lines. The difference is where your cursor goes. :)

Oh yeah. Duh :)

How do you change the tiny characters under your name that often say "capsule communicator" or "bottle rocketeer"?

Also, how to you edit your signature?

Edited by DAL59

For the user title text go to your profile, click to edit profile on the upper right, and change the text in the first box. For the signature, go the dropdown menu under your name on the upper right and click on account settings, then choose signature from the bottom of the list on the left. 

We used to divide the forum into areas of moderator responsibility, but some of the more experienced moderators oversaw the whole "global" forum. We're less formal now, and it just means the more experience guys to whom the others refer policy decisions and stuff. 

On 11/29/2017 at 1:09 PM, tater said:

More importantly, where is the UI cue that this is a thing? Where is the manual for this forum? If you have to ask someone how a UI works, it's a bad UI. (and I've been around since DARPANET, myself)

Yeah, I hear ya on that one!  You're preaching to the choir, in my case. :wink:  Lack-of-discoverability in UI has long been a pet peeve of mine, made particularly irate by the fact that software is what I do for a living.

It's worth noting, though, that Squad didn't write the forum software here and has little control over the UI.  It's third-party software.  If you'd like to complain express justifiably righteous wrath about it here, that's fine-- but please understand that doing so is basically just venting (not that there's anything wrong with that). Notably, it's  not providing feedback to anyone who can actually do anything about it.

If feedback is the goal, then you'd best talk to the folks who make the software.  I have no idea if there's a manual anywhere... but if there is, they'd be the ones who would have it.

I hear ya. Hence my /rant, I knew it wasn't Squad's doing, but it's bizarre to me. I'm militant about UI things, if I have to google how to do something, the person responsible failed. I used to tell people (like my parents) to just mess around, everything makes sense, you can't break anything. I don't say that any more.

12 hours ago, a_space_oddity said:

Do Mods have limited likes also? Or can you just like indefinitely.

What @Vanamonde said.

Though I might tactfully suggest that one would be better advised to be concerned about moderators' dislikes... :wink:

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

What’s the difference between a global moderator and a more moderate... moderator?

Global moderators are grumpier.

22 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

There's an option to follow members, and to receive notifications when those people post stuff, but is there a way to receive notifications from only certain people, and not all of them?

Thanks in advance :D

I don't think so... but why follow a person if you don't want updates from their activity?

4 minutes ago, Deddly said:

I don't think so... but why follow a person if you don't want updates from their activity?

Primarily because I want to receive updates from people like HatBat, but not necessarily from people that post four or five times a day :D Too many notifications, and all.....