Dman979

Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, The_Arcitect said:

Good, good, looks like they want to keep it a secret.

Good, you're on the right track. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good, all the mods are now Nyan cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why must there be a like limit? I want to like something, but the forum tells me that I have reached my daily limit, despite only liking like, 7 posts. ;.;

22 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

I am too. We should all be Nyan cat.

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

why must there be a like limit? I want to like something, but the forum tells me that I have reached my daily limit, despite only liking like, 7 posts. ;.;

Your like-cycle runs on a floating 24-hour clock, in 24 hours, your 24-hour-old like will reset and become available again. 
If there were no like limit, likes themselves would lose all meaning. Like rampant inflation, like counts would skyrocket out of control with no sense or reason eventually leading to a cascading quantum singularity and the end of life as we know it. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Your like-cycle runs on a floating 24-hour clock, in 24 hours, your 24-hour-old like will reset and become available again. 
If there were no like limit, likes themselves would lose all meaning. Like rampant inflation, like counts would skyrocket out of control with no sense or reason eventually leading to a cascading quantum singularity and the end of life as we know it. 
 

makes sense

 

also, you must now change your profile picture to a nyan cat gif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

also, you must now change your profile picture to a nyan cat gif.

Yeah, what the heck, @CatastrophicFailure? Get with the times, man. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this is wrong thread (probably it is), but since today morning all forum pages are hanging with repeatable "connecting to s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com" message, so almost no page is loaded to the end.

Mozilla Firefox, Windows-7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the last couple days if you post a tweet it automatically embeds the tweet, whereas in the past you had to explicitly select
"Paste as plain text" to get it to link.

Happens long enough I am retrained to NOT paste as plain text... and it's back to paste as plain text. One, the message is absurd ("plain text" embedding, after all), two, why would it change back and forth?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our IT guy has been working on it. 

Or at least I thought he was. Anyway, he's looking at it now. 

Edited by Vanamonde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wasn’t @Deddly lead at some point?

(for these you don’t need to name names)

Has a mod ever been demoted/banned? Has anyone been permanently banned? What happened to @sal_vager, why do people miss him so much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

wasn’t @Deddly lead at some point?

I was, but I stepped down because of real-life responsibilities. I couldn't devote enough time and emotional energy to volunteer here very much anymore, so I felt that it was best to relinquish my role as lead moderator rather than just have it as a title.

3 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

Has a mod ever been demoted/banned? Has anyone been permanently banned?

Please see back a couple of pages for a long discussion about why we will never be able to answer questions like that. Long story short: no answer does not mean "yes".

3 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

What happened to @sal_vager, why do people miss him so much?

Sal is just a really great guy who devoted more time to this community than pretty much anyone. He was eventually hired and led the QA team, later also taking over the role of lead moderator when @KasperVld left. Few, if any, of us put our heart and soul into this forum like Sal did. See this thread for information about where he went:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was reading through the forum guidelines today and found a rule that says "Only one person may use an account, and you may only create one account on the forums."  A while back I had an account with username @MunsterIII, so...

Is that bad?

Am I going to die for my sins? :sealed:

Can we do a quick merge of accounts and say nothing happened?

Let's see if I can remember the password and give a little proof of concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RoninFrog said:

I was reading through the forum guidelines today and found a rule that says "Only one person may use an account, and you may only create one account on the forums."  A while back I had an account with username @MunsterIII, so...

Is that bad?

Am I going to die for my sins? :sealed:

Can we do a quick merge of accounts and say nothing happened?

Let's see if I can remember the password and give a little proof of concept.

Taken care of, and thanks for abiding by our rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Taken care of, and thanks for abiding by our rules.

Thanks.  I wasn't ever on both at the same time, as I transitioned to a new account after buying a new laptop.

P.S. Hey! I got my 3rd dot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Whats up with the “Guests” posting? I’m sure they’re not actual guests, but when I click on their profile, the forum enters an error. Is it the Forumkraken like  that one time I quoted Dirkidirk above the post I was quoting or what...?

 

also, when will I get my fifth dot/what are the dot milestones? Are the ranks based on posts or rep?

Edited by HansonKerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

also, when will I get my fifth dot/what are the dot milestones? Are the ranks based on posts or rep?

Posts. I think it’s for 1500 posts. Don’t @ me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fraston said:

Posts. I think it’s for 1500 posts. Don’t @ me.

sounds about right, imma go thread diving 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

 

Whats up with the “Guests” posting?

EU law requires provision for the deletion of accounts, but the posts remain because threads would be garbled without them. So the name of the poster is deleted and replaced with "Guest." Some other forum software weirdnesses can occasionally cause that, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

EU law requires provision for the deletion of accounts, but the posts remain because threads would be garbled without them. So the name of the poster is deleted and replaced with "Guest." Some other forum software weirdnesses can occasionally cause that, too. 

ok. Still tho do you know if the dot milestone is 1500 or not? Also, why are very old threads almost exclusively made by “Guest”s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forum's info has been transferred between several generations of forum software and some of the older material loses details or gets scrambled in the process. This is the origin of some of the guest accounts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

why are very old threads almost exclusively made by “Guest”s?

Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. These are the Great Old Ones whose times have come and gone, their memory faded to legend and myth and finally just... guest. Because computers aren’t very poetic... 
...or maybe it’s just that boring stuff @Vanamonde said...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. These are the Great Old Ones whose times have come and gone, their memory faded to legend and myth and finally just... guest. Because computers aren’t very poetic... 
...or maybe it’s just that boring stuff @Vanamonde said...

no no... I like this one better. Okay, why is the las post in games “Forum Rules” by Guest, written in JANUARY 1969?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.