Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

ManeTI is still tweaking it

As interested as I am in graphic design, I am not super sensitive to what "look" anyone goes for, all I care about is legibility, and readability. hopefully it can improve.

What does Supernovy do. I don't see him that much everywhere. Is he one of those quiet moderators?

(of course I don't want to edge into his lifestyle so a no comment is ok)

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

What does Supernovy do. I don't see him that much everywhere. Is he one of those quiet moderators?

(of course I don't want to edge into his lifestyle so a no comment is ok)

He drinks coffee and watches a lemon tree. 

Are the 'rep powers' I've read about near the beginning of this thread still a thing in the current forum software, or were they removed when it transitioned to Invision? For example, if a new member with 1 rep and me with 4k rep both liked the same post, would the poster get more rep from me liking their post? Just curious.

54 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Are the 'rep powers' I've read about near the beginning of this thread still a thing in the current forum software, or were they removed when it transitioned to Invision? For example, if a new member with 1 rep and me with 4k rep both liked the same post, would the poster get more rep from me liking their post? Just curious.

A like is a like.   No more, no less.     We encourage people to like posts, as it shows the poster that people appreciated their contribution, everybody enjoys a little recognition.  Heck, even on my stupid little "Thread has been moved to xyz" posts, I still get a little smile from getting a like. 

Any other system that weights the users like count to counting more than others would just lead to various forms of e-peen contests.   Certain cliques could end up running the show here, and that's not what we're after.   Our entire forum ethos, and it's rules, can be simplified down to "Just be nice to each other".   Any system other than one person's like counts the same as everybody else's only leads to issues that go against that simple ethos.   For the same reasons, we only have a like reaction, no dislikes or laughs or anything else. 

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

For example, if a new member with 1 rep and me with 4k rep both liked the same post, would the poster get more rep from me liking their post? Just curious.

Wait, that's a thing on other forums?  Sounds like self-perpetuating nonsense to me, right up there with "trending" posts on social media only trending because people were told they were trending and therefore clicked on them.

I'd rather the rep system just not exist over something like that.

50 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Wait, that's a thing on other forums?  Sounds like self-perpetuating nonsense to me, right up there with "trending" posts on social media only trending because people were told they were trending and therefore clicked on them.

I'd rather the rep system just not exist over something like that.

Near the beginning of this thread (back in 2015) apparently that was a thing on this forum as well. I'm the same as you, happy that that doesn't exist anymore.

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

Dear moderators, just a short "thank you" for maintaining a polite, helpful and respectful atmosphere here in the forums for all the years, keeping it a welcoming, friendly place.

You're welcome. We're volunteers, so we wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun. :)

On 10/21/2020 at 10:30 AM, Delay said:

The notifications are green now. Personally I don't like that a lot, or maybe I'm just used to red. Green just doesn't fit on a blue background in my eyes.
Might it be possible to look into that?

I haven't seen that happen to me.

@Vanamonde, who is the truly lead mod, you or @Supernovy?? You have the same title, but there can only be one.

39 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

I haven't seen that happen to me.

The blue-green notifications were a thing for less than an hour. It was a part of a recent upgrade to the forum's software. But now the red notification is back.

@Vanamonde, who is the truly lead mod, you or @Supernovy?? You have the same title, but there can only be one.

If you look at these -

You'll notice there's a rationale behind how the moderation team is constructed. :)

Underneath the profile picture, there is a little thing saying what someone does on the forums, such as "KSP Team" or "Moderator".  But why is "Members" plural and "Moderator" is singular?  It seems like it would make more sense to say "Member" instead of "Members".

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I have a question, regarding the rep system. Is it possible to have something analogous to the Love reaction on facebook? Maybe have it count for, say, 5 likes for the person who got it?

I believe it's possible, and it's been brought up before, but don't expect anything like this to happen.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

don't expect anything like this to happen

And a good thing too. Internet e-peen points systems are ridiculous.

A simple "I agree" or "Useful post" button avoids the usual "+1" or "^^" reply for sure, but anything beyond that is totally superfluous.

Edited by steve_v

11 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I have a question, regarding the rep system. Is it possible to have something analogous to the Love reaction on facebook? Maybe have it count for, say, 5 likes for the person who got it?

I made a pretty decent answer to this question a couple days ago in this very thread.   Just scroll up a bit.