Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Anybody getting a FaceBook (we change the interface because we know you were happy with the old one) vibe?

I also think the choices for names of the ranks is going to greatly annoy some real world people who work in the space industry.

Quick addition. What is a badge and how do you get one?

Edited by ColdJ

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Anybody getting a FaceBook (we change the interface because we know you were happy with the old one) vibe?

The changes to the forum were the results of Invision software updates. And yeah, I am vocally saying I do not like the changes but also want tor remind folks that our guys who handle this stuff for T2/Squad isn't where our anger should be focused. And yes, now that you mention it, I was quite happy with the the pre-update software. But even where I work, there seems to be this love of redesigning end user interfaces for no other reason than because we can.  That, quite possibly is the worst reason to change a user interface system - even if it is just forum software.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

I also think the choices for names of the ranks is going to greatly annoy some real world people who work in the space industry.

This is a forum for a game. I don't think anyone at NASA, the European Space Agency, or even Elon Musk would mind it too terribly much. Personally, I could do without the forum ranking system, but at the very least, think it should be customizable as it was pre-update.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Quick addition. What is a badge and how do you get one?

Which badge is it you're asking about? Apparently, there are badges for regular users, new users, and moderators. I've not seen any others yet. But then again, with this software change, who knows!?

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Which badge is it you're asking about? Apparently, there are badges for regular users, new users, and moderators. I've not seen any others yet. But then again, with this software change, who knows!?

I would show you the badge thing, but it has literally now disappeared along with that new rocket thing that was in the bottom left corner of my avatar.

It was a line when you hovered over the avatar pics that had posts, reputation, badges. Oh well. Rockets gone but I guess you are still stuck with a shield over the top right side of your pic. My sympathies to you and the fellow moderators.

32 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I would show you the badge thing, but it has literally now disappeared along with that new rocket thing that was in the bottom left corner of my avatar.

It was a line when you hovered over the avatar pics that had posts, reputation, badges. Oh well. Rockets gone but I guess you are still stuck with a shield over the top right side of your pic. My sympathies to you and the fellow moderators.

Our great IT team is trying to fix all the problems caused by the software update. Yes, the rocket is gone. A number of users complained how it was blocking their avatar from completely showing. I am not sure about the other you mention, maybe it was a part of the rocket thing. Thanks for being understanding.

I am glad the icon is off of my avatar! I can see Calvin again! I had to do a lap around my profile and I can see my cwip (thank you @Gargamel for the acronym) in full again. Now they may be cwip but hes right, the are MY cwip :D and I like seeing them! I am sad tho that thanks to yesterdays visually displeasing goof up I missed seeing 1100, but I will get a chance to see 1111! Go me! <grabs his cwip and sits in the corner grinning at his counter like the goof ball nerd he is>

Not for me ( if you mean different glitches on the forum. I wasn't around for it, but I have heard other members talking about it), but I liked the old setup more (Dots, member title above the PFP, location, etc.)

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

3 minutes ago, Deddly said:

If you need to scroll to see a signature, the signature is too big.

Poor Admiral Fluffy will not be pleased by that, good thing all their quotes are on the Quotes thread.

For the folks who aren't a fan of the new forum update:  Totally understandable.  I'm not a big fan, myself.  ;) 

A little bit of context may be helpful in understand how and why the change happened:

• It wasn't anyone at Squad or T2 who changed the look.  The forum software is produced by a completely separate company, and they're the ones who design it and update it.  Squad/T2 are just customers.
  • It wasn't because the folks at Squad/T2 particularly wanted to change the look.  It was just an update to a newer version of the forum software, that's all.  The changes to the "look" just came along for the ride.
  • No, it's not really an option not to update to a newer version.  It's important to keep forum software up to date.  For example, newer versions contain security fixes, and so forth-- it's not okay not to take those.  Yes, it sure would be nice if the company that makes the forum software (which, again, is not Squad or T2) could somehow decouple the "you must take this" update (security etc.) from the "only take this if you want it" stuff (e.g. forum appearance), but that's not how they work.
  • Yes, there are some knobs we can twiddle to adjust some things.  But not all things, and figuring out the "best" settings takes a bit of time, so thank you for your patience in the meantime.  :)
  • The relevant people running this forum are listening to you, and are doing their best.  Knob-twiddling has been happening, and folks are genuinely trying to sort things out to avoid needless user pain.

So, with that out of the way, some good news below.  :)

On 7/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Admiral Fluffy said:

Yeah, what does the rocket mean?

On 7/12/2021 at 9:35 PM, AlamoVampire said:

Is there a way we can turn the icon on our avatar on or off?

On 7/13/2021 at 7:31 AM, Kerb Your Enthusiasm said:

New icons on avatars are awful.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, basically everyone hated those things.  Took a little while, but the Powers That Be™ have figured out how to turn them off.  So they're gone now.  Yay!

(For anyone coming along later wondering what this was about:  the update added little "stickers" onto everyone's avatars, a blue rocket-in-a-circle icon, which obscured the bottom left corner of every avatar.)

On 7/13/2021 at 7:22 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Condensing our rep to “X.Xk” takes away from knowing precisely how much you have. May be trivial to some and less so to others. I giggled whole heartedly when I had 666 rep and took a screen shot, and then again 111 rep later at 777. Or the excitement of watching your rep reach for a specific number like 100 or 1000 or maybe 10,000.

Yah, that's another surprise change that nobody seemed to like.  Also fixed now, your full rep should be showing, at least for desktop.  (Yes, we're aware that mobile has its own issues.  Things are being looked at-- again, please remember that, 1. figuring out what can be changed, and how, takes time, and 2. it is new software and not everything will necessarily be doable.)

12 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

what happened to the ranks!? oh the post above answered my question. thanks. 

The ranks were the cause of the rockets on people's profiles. Ranks have been a part of this forum for as far back as I can remember, but it was a choice between keeping the ranks or removing the rocket pictures. Given the feedback we got, we chose the latter option.

I'm hopeful that we'll find a way to re-add the ranks in a future update without the rockets.

23 hours ago, Souptime said:

oh i noticed a borked thing, you cant scroll on signatures, but you can still click any clickable things on them

It's actually an unborking- signatures were never supposed to be scrollable, but we were able to restore their previous functionality in this round of updates.

Edited by Dman979
Edited for clarity.

5 minutes ago, tomf said:

What are the little badges top right of the avatar? The shield appears to mark moderators but I've seen a hand too.

What others exist and what do they mean?

The hand is a newer member. I haven't seen any others. 

On 7/14/2021 at 1:56 AM, Deddly said:

If you need to scroll to see a signature, the signature is too big.

Yes, I agree. Long signatures can be annoying.

However, I have been thinking of this for a while. One of the things our forum software is missing is a fully customizable "about me" page. In my mind's eye, it is where folks could share more about themselves, within the scope of the forum guidelines, but without bogging down the signature area.

One of the best ways to create a "profile page" where folks can create a brag page. Here's how you could do it:

1. Go to your profile page and activate status updates.

Spoiler

SbwBLr0.png

RQzR0xR.png

2. Go to the status update you want to use as a static page, sorta like an extension of your profile page or Facebook "about me" section. Click on the date of the status update.

Spoiler

wwbW9CE.png

3. The forum software will now open the status update as a single page with its own URL:

Spoiler

5j2AOBP.png

You can now use that URL in any part of the forum (for example, as a link in your signature), and any other place externally, that allows for URLS to be entered. It will always direct to the singe status update and not to your activity feed.

I hope this helps some of you who want to have the "brag page" in the signatures and just cannot confine it to the abbreviated version. :)