Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

7 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Eh, the forum doesn't need any random extra stuff.

That's been the general feeling from most of the forum about updates so far. The userbase doesn't seem to want large changes, and in general I feel that our community is a good enough reason to stick around without having a badge for it.

Can you ask for a temporal ban? I had a friend who had to study for a group of exams some years ago and because he didn't want to lose concentration he asked the mods of another forum for a 1 week ban until the studies where over .

I don't know if they gave him the ban but he passed the exams

2 minutes ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Can you ask for a temporal ban? I had a friend who had to study for a group of exams some years ago and because he didn't want to lose concentration he asked the mods of another forum for a 1 week ban until the studies where over .

I don't know if they gave him the ban but he passed the exams

We have done that in the past for a variety of reasons.   If anybody feels the need to step away from the forums, and doesn't feel they have the will power to do so, drop one of us a PM, and we'd be happy to work with you to find a solution that fits your needs.  We'd much rather see somebody willingly be prevented from accessing the forums for a short time, rather than let them get overwhelmed with real life issues and lose the means to ever come back. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

We have done that in the past for a variety of reasons.   If anybody feels the need to step away from the forums, and doesn't feel they have the will power to do so, drop one of us a PM, and we'd be happy to work with you to find a solution that fits your needs.  We'd much rather see somebody willingly be prevented from accessing the forums for a short time, rather than let them get overwhelmed with real life issues and lose the means to ever come back. 

Yet another reason why the KSP forums are the best social media site.

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

The only other form of social media that I have is Discord and I only use it on the weekends now.

Im on Discord, too. Use it for keeping in touch with some acquaintances, family, friends, and pesky students. 

Searched for the whole forum, but could not find an answer: is there a way to participate in KSP localization? I see some misprints, mistakes and even untranslated text in Russian translation and would like to contribute. Have an experience in translating another game in the past.

54 minutes ago, Stormbird said:

Searched for the whole forum, but could not find an answer: is there a way to participate in KSP localization? I see some misprints, mistakes and even untranslated text in Russian translation and would like to contribute. Have an experience in translating another game in the past.

Hi Stormbird! It's nice of you to want to help out. There was a post by one of our community managers here. It's a few years old, but he gives an email address you could try writing to.

15 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Question: How does somebody like @[email protected] get negative reputation?

There was a bug in the forum software at some point. On some other forums, you can also click "dislike" instead of only "like", and so this kind of thing would be much more common if we allowed that here.

9 minutes ago, Deddly said:

There was a bug in the forum software at some point. On some other forums, you can also click "dislike" instead of only "like", and so this kind of thing would be much more common if we allowed that here.

Thanks!

Glad to see we're a j6sGDKQ.png forum.

16 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

What happened to the scrollable forum signatures?

I am glad they are gone for a variety of reasons, the most obvious is they add extra length to posts.

Sadly, we have some forum members who would want to see how long they could make their signatures. Signatures are supposed to take up a very small amount of "visual real estate" essentially enough to tell the person viewing it a little more about you.

A few posts back in this thread, I discuss setting up a status update and using it as a static page that you could paste the link to it in your signature. The status update can be updated can be updated just as any other forum post can be updated.

Edited by adsii1970
Added hot link to the related post

On 7/15/2021 at 9:04 AM, adsii1970 said:

Yes, I agree. Long signatures can be annoying.

However, I have been thinking of this for a while. One of the things our forum software is missing is a fully customizable "about me" page. In my mind's eye, it is where folks could share more about themselves, within the scope of the forum guidelines, but without bogging down the signature area.

One of the best ways to create a "profile page" where folks can create a brag page. Here's how you could do it:

1. Go to your profile page and activate status updates.

Hide contents

SbwBLr0.png

RQzR0xR.png

2. Go to the status update you want to use as a static page, sorta like an extension of your profile page or Facebook "about me" section. Click on the date of the status update.

Hide contents

wwbW9CE.png

3. The forum software will now open the status update as a single page with its own URL:

Hide contents

5j2AOBP.png

You can now use that URL in any part of the forum (for example, as a link in your signature), and any other place externally, that allows for URLS to be entered. It will always direct to the singe status update and not to your activity feed.

I hope this helps some of you who want to have the "brag page" in the signatures and just cannot confine it to the abbreviated version. :)

I'll have to do this some time!