Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Why is the word anec...e (a-n-e-c-d-o-t-e) auto-sensored by the forum?

See also my post here.

It seems to be censoring the word d o t. See, I'll try to type it on its own: ... Yup, censored. You also can't talk about ...ing parents or describe a new texture mod as having polka...s. Wow. I don't think it's either profane or vulgar but then again I am nearing my dotage (heh, this is a fun game!) so it could be something I never heard of. Can't think of a code-based exploit it would prevent either.

ETA: wow, Kaspervid fixed it in between my typing 'polkadots' (after which I did a preview) and 'dotage'. Filterninja!

^Why did that happen?

Adding a particular website to the forum filter, and Kasper included "Sitename Dot Com" with it, which caused the filter to erase "dot" from new posts.

I guess it happened halfway through Kuzzter's post because the fix was committed while the post was being processed. A bit of a fluke.

^Why did that happen?

To be clear before anyone gives a definitive answer, [ETA or after--ninja'd again by RIC] I had typed up to "polkadots", then gone to the Advanced editor and asked for a Preview. In the Preview, the 'dot's I had already typed got replaced. Then I thought of one more joke, added the 'dotage' bit, and posted. Kasper must have removed 'dot' from the forbidden list between when I asked for the Preview and when I posted--a space of about a minute.

Have you ever felt bored on the forums (hard to think of, i know)

Bored? Can't say I've ever felt bored while looking at the forums, since there's always something new and interesting to view.

I have, however, occasionally felt exhausted, sometimes due to moderation issues but more often simply due to sensory overload. Only so much stuff you can take in before your brain starts feeling "stretched out."

Can moderators take away a person's rep if they wished?

Yes, it's possible. Just like it's possible to artificially inflate it (such as with a few key accounts). Though there's only a few who can and it stays logged. So no funny business. :P

Assuming the forum assigns a new number iteratively to each thread, then by looking at the urls for This thread started at 11:43am on 9/20 and This thread started almost exactly 24 hours later, there were 134795-134722 or 73 threads started in that span.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised it's that small a number.

This thread started 5 days before the 9/21 thread implies that 134795-134415 threads were created in those 5 days, or 380. That's 76 threads a day. Seems pretty consistent. I imagine that things get busier during release time and just after, but for Situation Normal, 70-80 sounds like it.

That's about 3 threads an hour, or a new thread every 20 minutes.

Edited by 5thHorseman