Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

We don't live in the age of the typewriter anymore, single line breaks have been dying for a while (see MS Word defaults and those of other word processors). Just something to get used to, I guess. Personally I used double line breaks in my posts on the old software far more often than singles, for paragraph spacing, but of course YMMV.

Double spacing is a typewriter thing. Real typography is virtually never double spaced, and if Word does it, it's just another example of Word adding new features without being able to do text properly. 

I made my judgement based upon the claim up the thread that line spacing was defaulted to double, however. A quick look at actual text shows that this is not the case anyway, and it is only double-spacing on a carriage return (line break). This is NOT "default double spacing," though, that implies a global leading setting of something like 200-240% of font size, so that even flowed text would be double-spaced (which would be awful to try and read). Bottom line is that the forum flows text at normal spacing, and a line return adds a line.

The last paragraph, actually double-spaced (to see how awful real double spacing would be):

I made my judgement based upon the claim up the thread that line spacing was defaulted to double, however. A quick look at actual text shows that this is not the case anyway,

and it is only double-spacing on a carriage return (line break). This is NOT "default double spacing," though, that implies a global leading setting of something like 200-240% of

font size, so that even flowed text would be double-spaced (which would be awful to try and read). Bottom line is that the forum flows text at normal spacing, and a line return

adds a line.

Edited by tater

Pardon my misuse of the term. Typewriters required single carriage returns at the end of every line, then a double carriage return at the end of each paragraph. Since auto word wrapping has virtually eliminated the need for single carriage returns, having one do the end of a paragraph double carriage return is the idea.

At any rate, this is a fairly minor issue compared to some of the others that are being worked on at the moment.

2 hours ago, Sampa said:

so, are we no longer able to know when a given person is online other than on the home page?  Is this something being dealt with?  I am SO confused?  Having to relearn everything...

You mean the status dots that show your online/offline status? If so, I can't seem to find them on any posts at all  and I can't imagine there being a setting for them.

16 minutes ago, Sampa said:

ok

On another note, I just noticed that Rocket Builders survived and that only my dead thread is the sole survivor.  How did I get that honor?  :P

You didn't, the RB part has been wiped out, but for some reason users can still see their (last?) thread(s) posted in there. I can see an old thread I made some time ago there, but that's it.

The thread appears locked, but it seems like you can still edit it.

Also, that thread is the only one I made in the RB, so could someone please confirm if you can only see your last thread, or all of the ones you wrote.

Edit: I can see only the two first replies from the thread, I'm pretty sure there were more...

Edited by Gaarst

Will you re-add pre-set tags? Like remember how in the suggestions section you could pick [Discussion] or [Suggestion], and in the Spacecraft Exchange there was [Stock Craft] and many others I believe.

I see you can add custom tags when creating a thread, but without the preset drop box there will be separate tags for the same things. for example : Stock, Stock-craft, Stock craft, Vanilla would all be the same thing to us, but different tags to the forum. So if i search for all posts tagged "stock craft" I might not get them all.

22 minutes ago, r4pt0r said:

Will you re-add pre-set tags? Like remember how in the suggestions section you could pick [Discussion] or [Suggestion], and in the Spacecraft Exchange there was [Stock Craft] and many others I believe.

I see you can add custom tags when creating a thread, but without the preset drop box there will be separate tags for the same things. for example : Stock, Stock-craft, Stock craft, Vanilla would all be the same thing to us, but different tags to the forum. So if i search for all posts tagged "stock craft" I might not get them all.

Those were prefixes, not tags. It seems like prefixes in IPS are just special kinds of tags.

It also seems like we can define tags, but not on a per-forum basis.

I'm still working my way around this beast, I'll post again if I figure out anything.

Edited by Supernovy

Posting from an iPad, the quote function appears broken. Trying to quote one post results in a quote of all posts on that page, and it does not appear to be possible to delete or edit the quoted material.

Edit: not consistent, does not always occur.

Edited by Wanderfound

I have found a number of bugs on mobile making it basically un-usable for me (had to post this from a desktop):

• Clicking on the follow button at the bottom of the page freezes the page, requiring a restart of the browser.
  • Backspace doesn't work, not letting you delete any text in the post as you type it, sometimes results in a page freeze.
  • Cursor keeps jumping back in to quoted text, sometimes re-quoting, sometimes freezing the page.
  • When clicking on the "quote" button to start a reply with a quote results in sending you back to the top of the page, requiring you to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to start typing. Becomes really annoying when you have to do that multiple times just to write one post, see above bugs.
  • Refreshing the page or navigating of and back again in an attempt to remove a half typed post that is bugged (see above) doesn't remove the post and let you start again. You have to submit that reply to start a new one, even if that post is a mess.

Desktop bug: When trying to follow a thread the option box gets stuck on the spinning blue wheel, requiring a refresh of the page.

Edited by Falcon Coupe
More bugs

Are there any plans to bring more options to the WYSWYG editor, such as horizontal lines, tables, and text wrap around images? Even if all we were to gain were tables, it sure would help me to make my posts more aesthetically pleasing and without the excessive white space, sort of what happens now, when I share images.

Edited by adsii1970

7 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Are there any plans to bring more options to the WYSWYG editor, such as horizontal lines, tables, and text wrap around images? Even if all we were to gain were tables, it sure would help me to make my posts more aesthetically pleasing and without the excessive white space, sort of what happens now, when I share images.

Not immediately. The base functionality of the forum is still being fine-tuned, after that we may look at adding editor plugins (some of them look really nice, but one step at a time :)).