Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

35 minutes ago, TheMoonRover said:

There were no YouTube embeds in the OP of the linked thread. Why are there some now? And it seems to have deleted the Spoiler tags altogether.

Pasting in the URL of a video/image seems to automatically embed it now. Not sure how to prevent that. Perhaps explicitly using the 'link' button?

8 hours ago, Trann said:

It appears there's no "preview" so here goes... Is this pretty much what to bookmark if I want to arrive and see new forum posts?

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/discover/unread/

I'm not a mod but I can answer this one: Yes.

Source: That's exactly what's in my bookmark for the KSP forums. It's the page I go to first every time I visit the site.

1 hour ago, Supernovy said:

Pasting in the URL of a video/image seems to automatically embed it now. Not sure how to prevent that. Perhaps explicitly using the 'link' button?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19i0NsNqWAo

I'm a ninja.

No, the way to do it is to NOT HIT ENTER after you paste the youtube link into the post. How do you get around that? Why, hit enter before, and then go up and paste the link.

This is all assuming the forum won't convert it afterwards, of course. With no "preview" option I'll have to assume that I'll get what I'm seeing.

What's going on re. subscriptions/activity feeds atm? I'm seeing mentioned/quoted/posted notifications from last year popping up as new/unread... while post forum-switch stuff has mysteriously disappeared. 'tis more than a little annoying that I can't rely on the likes of the "Threads I posted in" etc. activity feeds actually catching topics I posted in over the last few days, while getting notifications that someone mentioned me in a post 3 months ago is a rather pointless.

My "Threads I posted in" feed currently contains 3 items - two of which are accurately tagged as "older" seeing as they are from Sept and Oct respectively. With one exception, all the posts I have made in the last few days are nowhere to be seen.
Is there work in progress on this (i.e. something scanning over old posts) or are these bugs I'm seeing?

Where did my subscribed threads from before the big let's-upset-the-apple-cart go? Am I expected to just remember all the threads I was watching?

Other "Activity streams" don't appear to work correctly either - I can't save any preferences (I go back into "Edit this stream" and all fields are reset), and I can't get anything but a list of individual posts in "Threads I follow" - how do I see only thread titles that have new posts - i.e. so I can get status of more than one thread on a screen? As it is, the entire first page is posts from one thread - if I wanted that I'd just go to the thread in question.

Setting "Content I haven't read" seems to work, sort of... it makes everything go away, even things I haven't read.

Am I missing something obvious, or is the activity streams feature completely broken?

Edited by steve_v

@steve_v

Activity streams can be made to just show threads instead of individual posts, see here for how: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126874-miss-the-old-subscriptions-page-try-a-custom-activity-stream/

As for settings on them not persisting, I haven't tried editing the default streams but new custom ones save their settings fine (you do have to click the save button, in case by some chance that was missed).

Subscriptions were moved over successfully but later removed for reasons that are not 100% clear to me. I sympathize with you on that one as I lost a ton of subscriptions too, and am having a tough time getting all the more obscure ones back.

I'm adding "Threads I've posted in" not working correctly to the to-fix list, thank you for reporting it.

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@steve_v

Activity streams can be made to just show threads instead of individual posts, see here for how: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126874-miss-the-old-subscriptions-page-try-a-custom-activity-stream/

That's exactly what I was trying to do, but the settings don't appear to stick to the default streams... It's a one time thing - the filter updates, but if I go somewhere else and come back, or go back into "edit this stream" it's reset to the defaults.

Looks like it does stick to newly created streams, thanks. - Since this appears to be a usable workaround [sarcasm]not that we should need workarounds for this thing, since it's so much better than the old one[/sarcasm], how do I remove the broken default streams?

The Grey Dots are ranks.... a Mod will have X .... a member, fewer... and a new member... even less.

The mods decide who gets how many and at what point.

Imagine it like Star Trek.... a captain has 4 pips.... a Commander 3 pips and a dark pip....

a cadet has 1 pip....

assuming I can still remember the old TNG seasons I watched.

I have used most (as Admin) forum scripts so happy to jump in and help answer questions if the Moderators think that is OK.

I see. :huh: Pretty much what I expected to hear.

Any chance we can, ya know, fix the broken thing then?

I'm trying to like this, I really am... but given all the borkage it's not working out very well so far.