Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

46 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Custom logos and such aren't usually considered add-ons so the Add On Posting Rules don't apply (including the requirement for a license). That said, they are your work so it it would be courteous to lay out for users how you would and wouldn't like for them to be used, whether that's through a formal license or just through a statement in the OP.

Thank you for the information. As I stated before, I just do not want to "earn" any infractions this year.

19 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

We will have to refer this sort of technical question to @KasperVld. What can you tell him about what you're looking for? The more specific the better. 

It was a screenshot of a rendezvous performed in 0.18 between two mk1-sized capsules. I posted it using this account name, but a different account since I'm sure there was a major forum crash that reset everything.

11 minutes ago, Laughing Man said:

It was a screenshot of a rendezvous performed in 0.18 between two mk1-sized capsules. I posted it using this account name, but a different account since I'm sure there was a major forum crash that reset everything.

Hm. Technically, no one really posts a screenshot to the forum, right? We post a link to an image file hosted elsewhere, and the forum software embeds the linked images in our posts. So, is there any chance you can track down the hosting site where you originally posted the image? If it still exists there, then you're all set. If it doesn't exist there, there may not be anything any mod can do for you. /notamod /butpostsalotofimages

2 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hm. Technically, no one really posts a screenshot to the forum, right? We post a link to an image file hosted elsewhere, and the forum software embeds the linked images in our posts. So, is there any chance you can track down the hosting site where you originally posted the image? If it still exists there, then you're all set. If it doesn't exist there, there may not be anything any mod can do for you. /notamod /butpostsalotofimages

See that's the thing, I can't remember which site I uploaded it to. I was hoping that by finding it here I might be able to track it down and recover it. XD

3 minutes ago, Gauga159 said:

Could there be a separate website with the vBulitin forums? :mellow:

No, keeping them synchronized would be a nightmare if it was even possible, which I suspect it isn't. And those security flaws which prompted the move to IPS still exist, so we'd have gained nothing.

52 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

No, keeping them synchronized would be a nightmare if it was even possible, which I suspect it isn't. And those security flaws which prompted the move to IPS still exist, so we'd have gained nothing.

OH, gawd... could you imagine the nightmare that would create? I am certainly glad this is NOT an option - at all! The whole thought of this brings shivers to my spine...

Whenever you guys lock a post, can you moderators/staff add a comment to locked posts? And if a thread was locked due to the OP Author wanting it locked and not because it broke rules, could you unlock it?

Also, why is ":D" not "XD" and":D" not something else?

Edited by Spaceception

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Whenever you guys lock a post, can you moderators/staff add a comment to locked posts? And if a thread was locked due to the OP Author wanting it locked and not because it broke rules, could you unlock it?

Also, why is ":D" not "XD" and":D" not something else?

1. Yes, we can.

2. Yes, we could.

3. I don't know.

Yesterday I was on a job training for work. As a result I only had mobile access to the forum. Everybody knows the regular forum is BAD. To my utter surprise the mobile forum is infinitely worse. It is horrible, an absolute and utter nightmare.
I gave up hope on improvements on the regular forum long ago. But are there any plans in the foreseeable future to do something about the mobile forum?

8 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Yesterday I was on a job training for work. As a result I only had mobile access to the forum. Everybody knows the regular forum is BAD. To my utter surprise the mobile forum is infinitely worse. It is horrible, an absolute and utter nightmare.
I gave up hope on improvements on the regular forum long ago. But are there any plans in the foreseeable future to do something about the mobile forum?

That's not overly constructive. Please add specific feedback to the Forum Feedback thread, detailing which parts you find unsatisfactory.

If someone is reading a post, and it gets locked as they're reading it (Not even the Moderator has gotten to it yet), and they decide to comment (Since, when the page loaded, it was still unlocked), would they be able to comment, or when they try to comment, it doesn't let them?

4 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

If someone is reading a post, and it gets locked as they're reading it (Not even the Moderator has gotten to it yet), and they decide to comment (Since, when the page loaded, it was still unlocked), would they be able to comment, or when they try to comment, it doesn't let them?

When it attempts to save the comment to the forum database it will give an error saying that the thread is closed.

33 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

When it attempts to save the comment to the forum database it will give an error saying that the thread is closed.

Sometimes - last week this exact thing happened to me, but instead of showing a thread closed error, it sent me out of the forum to the dreaded 504 error. Being the stubborn, hard headed person that I am, I tried it three more times, received the 504 error once more, then eventually got the "Thread is closed" message.

So I earlier today I got a notification saying:

[user] posted a topic in the Fault Vault: HACKED

(name redacted for privacy reasons just in case)

I know what the fault vault is but that just makes it more mysterious. What the heck? Did everyone get this?

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

9 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

So I earlier today I got a notification saying:

[user] posted a topic in the Fault Vault: HACKED

(name redacted for privacy reasons just in case)

I know what the fault vault is but that just makes it more mysterious. What the heck? Did everyone get this?

I didn't get a notification, but I did see a thread titled 'HACKED' in the announcement section briefly earlier today.

What is the 'fault vault' though?

Edited by smjjames

6 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I didn't get a notification, but I did see a thread titled 'HACKED' in the announcement section briefly earlier today.

What is the 'fault vault' though?

On 11/14/2015 at 9:17 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

"Fault Vault" is a place we can move threads/posts that break the rules. [...]

I'm following the Announcements board so that explains the notification part, sort of.

Still have no idea about the origin of the thread

Edited by KerbonautInTraining