Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Problems within the moderation staff are handled internally, usually just by talking about it. But it almost never comes up. If we weren't pretty even-tempered people, we wouldn't have been chosen for the job. :D 

Oh, and I can't recall a situation where it involved breaking a forum rule. 

45 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Please don't give me an infraction!

I don't know what you're playing at here. If I were in your shoes I would a) stop taking pride in behavior that annoys all the other users and b) stop behaving in a way that annoys all the other users.

How hard is it not to abuse your powers? I recently read a thread where RIC offered a forum user help with an issue, and asked them a few questions to help diagnose it. That user proceeded to call him unhelpful and told him not to comment if he wouldn't help. 

Being a good human being, Red didn't demand respect for his position, and told the user that they could place him on their ignore list if they didn't wish to hear from him.

I wanted to slap them, and Red meanwhile told them how to use a forum tool to block himself.

How hard is it to take that from people? Also, have there been any incidents of mod power abuse?

And max? Change your sig. Most of us like Red because he's so involved and knowledgeable. Consider how few forums there are where you could criticize a mod like that without getting banned.

Edited by kmMango

39 minutes ago, kmMango said:

How hard is it not to abuse your powers?

Not hard at all. We kinda pay attention to what the other mods do and using moderator access for personal reasons is not condoned at all. Plus we try to select people who wouldn't do so in the first place.

I recently read a thread...<snip>... How hard is it to take that from people?

Oh boy, that's minor stuff. :) Some of the PMs we get are hot enough to smelt ore. (By the way, the thread you were looking at must be from before I was a moderator, AFAIK you can't put a mod on your ignore list.)

Also, have there been any incidents of mod power abuse?

Not during my tenure as a mod. If there were before then I don't think anyone would talk about them, just as we don't talk publicly about moderation of individual members.

So you weren't a mod. You had no reason to be as civil as you were, but you were anyway. Respect increased.

Anyway, I'm not surprised to hear that there isn't much abuse. You guys seem pretty levelheaded.

As for individual offenders, say no more. I had ringside seats to a couple of those fiascos in RB. I'm ashamed to say I even participated in it initially, until it got out of hand. I was still new then, though.

How come the 1.1 pre-release forum is still open? 1.1 released already.

Edit I meant why is it still open for viewing, I know you can't post in it.

Edited by Dfthu

3 hours ago, KocLobster said:

How do you un-upvote something? I accidentally upvoted something, and can't undo my mistake. I remember it being possible on my laptop. Is this a mobile phone issue?

The "Like" button turns into an "Unlike" button at all resolutions, should be available everywhere.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

The "Like" button turns into an "Unlike" button at all resolutions, should be available everywhere.

I mean the vote for a post button, above each post, if you think it's a really good answer (it's a triangle shape or arrow pointing up)...not the like feature.

I believe it may only be in the Gameplay Questions forum?

55 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Is there any plans for adding a dislike button?

No, for all the same reasons we didn't enable negative rep on the old forum software.

7 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

I mean the vote for a post button, above each post, if you think it's a really good answer (it's a triangle shape or arrow pointing up)...not the like feature.

I believe it may only be in the Gameplay Questions forum?

Oh that, it's in gameplay questions and the tech support forums. I just tried it and it doesn't seem to be reversible at any resolution now.