Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

The fault vault is a fancy name for a sub-forum where all the supposedly deleted threads and posts go, while hard deletion is possible it's avoided, and when dealing with a breach of the rules the moderation team can go over the removed thread/posts and come to a decision.

It's also used for temporary quarantine of suspicious posts, and stuff can be moved back to the main forum if required.

Not sure what you mean about fake sites, the moderators only deal with the Squad sites, and fansites are welcome, but straight rip-off sites claiming to be the official sites would be dealt with by Squad in an official capacity.

So the fault valut is basically : trash bin is it?

do some signatures / profile pcitures get offensive? What do you do with them?

Another one. Why do some mods have low level of rep? Won't the users would thank them and give rep?

Also is it possible to change usernames?

Edited by Joshwoo69

So the fault valut is basically : trash bin is it?

do some signatures / profile pcitures get offensive? What do you do with them?

Another one. Why do some mods have low level of rep? Won't the users would thank them and give rep?

Also is it possible to change usernames?

Or a museum of urgh why, what were they thinking...

Or an evidence locker.

Offensive pics get removed, it's just a link so it's edited out.

Not everyone remembers the rep button I guess.

Yes, I can do that for you.

We're online friends, r4pt0r, but scattered all over the world. Few of us have met any of the others in person. I think the closest one to me is 10 or 12 freeway hours, and visiting most of the guys would require a trans-oceanic flight. :D

Also, in all curiosity, have you ever felt bad for banning/giving an infraction - Or is it part of the job?

One of my infractions was for a reaction image, and the mod even said "even though I agree with the sentiment, and thought it was kinda funny..."

IDK if they felt 'bad' per say, but they still slapped me with 5 points :rolleyes:

What sort of experience did you need to have to be a moderator.

Basically, you should be a positive contributor to the forum and be reasonably active here. If you are friendly and helpful with others that goes a long way toward being considered. Language skills are helpful, too.

'Nother question, what's been the funniest thing you've seen as a moderator?

Supernovy's tent. I can say no more. :X

Also, in all curiosity, have you ever felt bad for banning/giving an infraction - Or is it part of the job?

I feel bad every time. I take no joy in applying punitive measures, especially when it's someone I'm friendly with on the forum. Even when it's well deserved and we've tried every other avenue, I still feel a bit of "sorry it's come to this". I think if someone enjoyed infracting or banning people they wouldn't be well suited to being a moderator.

An exception is spammers and duplicate accounts, they get no sympathy, pity, or mercy.

One of my infractions was for a reaction image, and the mod even said "even though I agree with the sentiment, and thought it was kinda funny..."

IDK if they felt 'bad' per say, but they still slapped me with 5 points :rolleyes:

That's one of the rules that we discuss semi-regularly, actually. There are many times when a reaction image is both appropriate and funny, but when reaction images are unrestricted it leads to every thread with a large craft filling up with that 50 megapixel "Mother of God" meme image, and many other memes get overused, too. It wouldn't be fair to allow some and remove others (how could a user know what will be moderated and what will not?) so the blanket ban on them was enacted.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I hate it, I absolutely hate it, I wish I never had to do it and that a PM or post in the thread was always enough to keep things smooth here, seriously that's all any of us should really need to do.

But there's rules and some people don't like rules, they mostly boil down to "don't be an ass" but some people don't even like that.

Spambots are shoot on sight though.

How do you guys go about their daily life? Wouldn't being a mod eat up your time?

Not really more than using the forum in general. Some of us are able to commit more time than others to moderating, some less. It's not a full time job or anything, we're all volunteers who moderate when schedules permit.

Aww :(

Okay back to the questions!

How do you guys go about their daily life? Wouldn't being a mod eat up your time?

I check in to see what's exploding throughout the day (1/2 two minute checks), and when I get a bit more free time, I float around the forum doing my stuff.

It probably eats up more time for the higher-ups though.