Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

What can I do to increase my chances of becoming a moderator, should the opportunity arise?

I would infer from previous discussions that not asking about it would help. :P That's just me though, and I'm not a mod so I don't really know exactly what they want.

Just now, cubinator said:

I would infer from previous discussions that not asking about it would help. :P That's just me though, and I'm not a mod so I don't really know exactly what they want.

One of the reasons I ask that is, well, to be honest, I've got the type of personality where I do better when I know what is expected of me. It doesn't matter what it is, I want to know how to be the best that I can and what I need to do to meet expectations - and then I want to exceed what is expected. By no means did I mean it as "pick me, pick me..." but as in hey, what do I need to do that I am not already doing... Does that make any sense?

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

One of the reasons I ask that is, well, to be honest, I've got the type of personality where I do better when I know what is expected of me. It doesn't matter what it is, I want to know how to be the best that I can and what I need to do to meet expectations - and then I want to exceed what is expected. By no means did I mean it as "pick me, pick me..." but as in hey, what do I need to do that I am not already doing... Does that make any sense?

Yes it does, but sometimes statements and questions can be interpreted in many different ways, especially when there isn't a context (which was the case until you posted this). But I still think the question you want to be asking is not "How do I become a moderator?" but "How do I become a better forum user?" because that is what can really get you to where you want to be.

1 hour ago, Sampa said:

Hey...I did absolutely nothing and my entire followers list is gone!  Help!

Yup, mine too, might be everyone.  I assume some sort of shenanigans are up with the forum software.  Presumably the matter will get sorted out at some point.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

What can I do to increase my chances of becoming a moderator, should the opportunity arise?

Well, as it happens, there's been a discussion about that recently:

12 hours ago, Snark said:

Yup, mine too, might be everyone.  I assume some sort of shenanigans are up with the forum software.  Presumably the matter will get sorted out at some point.

I was wondering if there was some sort of pattern with the follower purge, like peoplle with more followers would have more left. This probably would determine whether or not the purge was the result of hackers. Nada. It seems to be completely random. 

Also, to keep this thread more or less on topic, how do moderators move and lock threads? Another question: why can't anyone vote on or start polls anymore? I just noticed that yesterday.

7 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Also, to keep this thread more or less on topic, how do moderators move and lock threads?

There are buttons just for that added to the regular forum UI, visible only to moderators.

7 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Another question: why can't anyone vote on or start polls anymore? I just noticed that yesterday.

I just tried both with a non-moderator account, seems to be working fine.

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I know I have asked before but have never seen a response from a moderator, but is there a way we can get a horizontal line added to the WYSWYG editor? It would really be a help for me.

Outside the scope of what moderators can do. You could embed a wide image of a line as a workaround, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I know I have asked before but have never seen a response from a moderator, but is there a way we can get a horizontal line added to the WYSWYG editor? It would really be a help for me.

Is this horizontal enough?

:)

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Outside the scope of what moderators can do. You could embed a wide image of a line as a workaround, I suppose.

Ok, hope I didn't step on any old toes.

Guess that will work, too... just not as easy as a button click!

Any word about the borked IMGUR album problems? Is there a work-around? If there is a thread about this, just point me to the right direction... :D

29 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

HTML is cheating, though.

Which reminds me, what are the objections to having an alternate editor layout that uses HTML, Markdown (as used by Reddit and GitHub) and/or BBcode?

To clarify, this would be an "Advanced" option or something in the standard editor, where one could switch modes.

Edited by DaMachinator

4 minutes ago, DaMachinator said:

Which reminds me, what are the objections to having an alternate editor layout that uses HTML, Markdown (as used by Reddit and GitHub) and/or BBcode?

To clarify, this would be an "Advanced" option or something in the standard editor, where one could switch modes.

Right now the only options we have for the editor are the WYSIWYG that we're all familiar with and unrestricted HTML. Unrestricted HTML for all users is a Bad Idea for reasons that should be obvious. 

18 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Right now the only options we have for the editor are the WYSIWYG that we're all familiar with and unrestricted HTML. Unrestricted HTML for all users is a Bad Idea for reasons that should be obvious. 

Hence my suggestions of BBCode or MarkDown. The only thing unrestricted HTML allows you to do that could make it a bad idea (that I am aware of) is embedded objects.

58 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, hope I didn't step on any old toes.

Guess that will work, too... just not as easy as a button click!

Any word about the borked IMGUR album problems? Is there a work-around? If there is a thread about this, just point me to the right direction... :D

Workaround is to use a different image hosting site. I like u.tylian.net + spoilers to pretend that I have an album and not several embedded photos.

1 minute ago, DaMachinator said:

Hence my suggestions of BBCode or MarkDown. The only thing unrestricted HTML allows you to do that could make it a bad idea (that I am aware of) is embedded objects.

Neither BBCode nor Markdown are options with the editor right now, as I mentioned.

6 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Well, there actually is an option for it in IPS.  @KasperVld - the page button which looks like this 1l75gyU.pngwill allow users to add a horizontal line. :wink: 

21 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Grovel! :)

7 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Some say having Mods in KSP is cheating... I therefore I suggest we all take your answer with a pinch of salt... :)

Edited by kiwi1960

18 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Hi guys,
Yep same question as adsii1970. Mods, what do we know about the imgur album button vanishing? And do we know yet if it will be back anytime soon? 

Right..... I have a serious question for the moderators.

Keep in mind that I am 56 and no child or young teen that is titillated (is that word allowed?) with silly child sexual talk....

This forums is becoming a joke...... seriously...

When I talked about a B O O B Y prize.... the word was censored to "Bloby" which isn't even a word... I corrected it twice only to have the same thing happen... I thought it was me with my double vision making the typos but then I twigged that it was the word censor. B O O B Y is a legitimate word... when talking about a B O O B Y prize, there is no alternative.... but that word is censored... it shouldn't be! I know this is a family site, but you would have to be.... strange.... to consider that word needed to be censored.

This site is fast becoming a joke... there are rules to tell us what we cannot talk about... words we cannot use.... and fair enough IN SOME CASES.... but NOT that word.

There is a bird called the Red-footed b o o b y (Sula sula) ..... we cannot talk about that bird either!!!

My question is.... why does this site act like a nanny with such an overly strict word censor... there is no need for it surely.... some words... YES.... but dammit (is that word allowed?) its TOO STRICT!

However..... the word you are thinking of ends in an IE .... not a Y .... seriously.... its getting to be like a Kindergarten here.

Edited by kiwi1960