Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

36 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Now if only I could stop being such a hothead, everything would be peachy.

I'm making progress... sorta...

I'm a hot head too, we're human. I find that communicating by written word helps a lot in comparison to face to face. More time to think about what you're going to say

Just now, monstah said:

I'm a hot head too, we're human. I find that communicating by written word helps a lot in comparison to face to face. More time to think about what you're going to say

Shewt, out of likes again! So when are you guys gonna give us more likes to give out? This limit would be nice if it actually just limited the likes in a 24 hr period. What happens instead is that I run out of likes cause there are so many great posts but then instead of giving me 25 likes the next day, it gives me only like five. The next day I might have 15 or so, but it only goes back to 25 after a couple of days. This is getting annoying. Does anyone else have this problem/know if it will be fixed?

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

Shewt, out of likes again! So when are you guys gonna give us more likes to give out? This limit would be nice if it actually just limited the likes in a 24 hr period. What happens instead is that I run out of likes cause there are so many great posts but then instead of giving me 25 likes the next day, it gives me only like five. The next day I might have 15 or so, but it only goes back to 25 after a couple of days. This is getting annoying. Does anyone else have this problem/know if it will be fixed?

This is not a problem that needs fixing, just a misunderstanding of how it works. Each individual like counts against the 25 limit for 24 hours. As one passes 24 hours, it expires and another like becomes available to use within the limit. If you then use it immediately you're back at the limit until the next oldest one hits 24 hours and expires.

We won't be upping the 25 likes/24 hours limit, sorry. I personally would argue it's too high as it is.

16 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

This is not a problem that needs fixing, just a misunderstanding of how it works. Each individual like counts against the 25 limit for 24 hours. As one passes 24 hours, it expires and another like becomes available to use within the limit. If you then use it immediately you're back at the limit until the next oldest one hits 24 hours and expires.

We won't be upping the 25 likes/24 hours limit, sorry. I personally would argue it's too high as it is.

Ohhhhh that explains a lot. I will say that how the system works isn't immediately apparent. But thank you for explaining it. Oh well it was worth a shot at seeing if it was gonna be expanded. Preciate it.

19 minutes ago, monstah said:

I think each one expires after 24h individually, so if you've been late and have likes at 2am, you'll have to wait more than you expected. 

*sigh*

Dont ninja me, Red :( 

Lol happens to me all the time. :) 

19 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I'm just wondering, why are we allowed to only give 25 likes per day? Forum software limitations?

EDIT: Also, if someone unlikes a post that you made, does the rep count decrease or stay the same?

We had already issues with users spamming rep in the old forum era, allowing more likes would certainly be a recipe for spamming. That's why the limit.

Mind telling me where's the unlike button? I truly need it :wink:

Just now, diomedea said:

Mind telling me where's the unlike button? I truly need it :wink:

Not sure whether you're joking or not :P, but the unlike button appears when you like a post. It's at the same place as the like button. :)

Also, I just answered my second question by liking and unliking your post. It appears that unliking a post descreases the rep count. :) 

2 hours ago, monstah said:

One thing I've found helpful is to avoid responding in haste. What I do when a post irks me is write out my reply in a word document, and leave it for a few hours. Then I come back to it and look at it with fresh eyes. Most of the time, I delete the draft and don't respond because it is too angry/insensitive. If I think I should still respond, I edit what I've written to make it calmer.

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I agree, and support that decision. On the old forum, we had 5 reputation to give each day. Each one was worth 5 rep points. Now we have 25 rep to give, each worth 1 rep point.

The math stays the same, right? 25=5*5= 25*1

But I think that we've gotten a bit of Rep inflation here, in the economic sense. Can we decrease the limit to make it more meaningful?

29 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

It appears that unliking a post descreases the rep count. :) 

Yes, it does. It's quite fun to play tricks on people that way.

Don't worry, I give it back at the end.

36 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Also, I just answered my second question by liking and unliking your post. It appears that unliking a post descreases the rep count. :) 

I just did the same to yours. Did you receive any notifications?

2 hours ago, monstah said:

Yup, I'm one as well. Add that to my other vice - the fact I excel in sarcasm, and... well, it is a dangerous combination!

4 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Recently I have noticed a delay in receiving notifications. Not all the time, though. I haven't discerned a pattern to it. 

I get the notification about a minute or so on mobi than when I am actually on-line on the forum.

15 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

No, I didn't. :/ Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I think it's a good thing. I've liked posts by accident in the past and unliked them in a hurry, worried the user would get a notification but check and not see my name in the post, and think I was trolling them.

8 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Why do I not get notifications when someone does @HoloYolo

Check your notification settings, you may have inadvertently turned off those.

2 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Another question: have there seen been any cases where a thread was closed, and then re-opened for whatever reason? If so, are you allowed to give us examples? :) 

Yes. One example would be the MechJeb thread, which is often closed after a KSP update then reopened.

18 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Another question: have there seen been any cases where a thread was closed, and then re-opened for whatever reason? 

When a thread is going bad in a really rapid way, we will close it to prevent the problem from getting worse while we sort out the mess, then open it again when (we hope) tempers have cooled. Occasionally, someone also gives us a well-reasoned argument as to why we should change our minds and re-open something. 

If so, are you allowed to give us examples?  

Allowed to, yes. Do I remember any right now, no. 

1 minute ago, worir4 said:

Am i allowed to report a post if it is using Comic Sans?

By that logic, report yourself immediately so you can receive the proper punishment.

But in actuality, nope. Personally, I don't even mind the font, though I do hate on it socially.