[1.1.3] Contract Pack: Historic Missions [V2.3.0] 23/07/2016 - Display Updates and Mars exploration!

Whitecat106

How should the pack be separated? (In addition to the Full Pack)  

236 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like the pack divided?

• Agency Based
    • Chronologically Based
    • Country Based
    • Era Based (1945-1975, 1976-1996, 1997 - 2017)

There are many repetitive missions in your pack, but thats pretty good, since i disabled almost every stock contract. so basically you're funding my Spaceagency^^

(I is way mor fun to crash things into the mun, than testing jetengines without airintakes on the launchpad.....)

And im learning something new with every contract, good idea to take those advanced descriptions.

I f you havent done so already, in the ckan userguide there is a link to their IRC chat I, with no experience in modding, did get my mod up and working because of those guys helping me. What ever the problem is they know how to help.

If anyone knows what happened please help me. I play on a Mac (sometimes that causes problems) and I saw there was a new update to KSP, 1.0.4. I updated then installed this mod for the first time. I loaded up the game and it didn't work so I read through this forum and found what I did wrong and fixed it. I loaded the game again then went to the contract building and saw the V2 contract so I knew the mod was working. I went to the VAB to build a rocket and all the part catagories had disappeared. I tried restarting the game but still all my parts are in one long category in the VAB. I know I don't have the real solar system version installed and I know I don't have those Module Manager folders that need to be deleted. I can't think of anything else that could have caused this. The categories were working fine until I fixed my installation error which was putting the Contract_Pack_Historic_Missions-1 folder into GameData instead of the contracts pack one (which is inside the previously mentioned folder). How could this tiny change create such a large problem with something completely unrelated? If anyone has any ideas please tell me. Thank you for your time.

- - - Updated - - -

It does have a real solar systems version. You have to put the RSS missions folder in the contracts pack folder instead of the normal one.

After playing through for a few days, I suspect the reputation rewards are a tad OP.

On hard mode, "Orbit the Mun" gives me 9, but pioneer-4 gives me 30, and ranger-8 gives me 38.

Also, Vostok 3+4 & 5+6 should both be a single missions. It's kinda lame that you can do those alongside a Mercury mission, and accomplish 3 missions with one flight. I'd like to try to merge those this weekend, but i wonder if you can have whole groups conflict with each other, so you can only have one crewed mission and one probe mission accepted between the two space programs. on my career i'm alternating russia/US launches every 6 days.

Well I too noticed, the reputation gain is quite "good", but since I play with no revert flights and had some "Issues" with my tourist missions, im quite happy the way it is.

You get good money, much reputation and a bit of science, the perfect combination for a career with a lot of testing.

Only thing i would change:

Since there are litteraly a ton of missions, why not make some unique and failable? Like the Lunar impacts (I'm not much further in the story so those are the only ones i came across wich fit my idea)

Bind them to the ship you put on the launchpad.

Well I too noticed, the reputation gain is quite "good", but since I play with no revert flights and had some "Issues" with my tourist missions, im quite happy the way it is.

You get good money, much reputation and a bit of science, the perfect combination for a career with a lot of testing.

Only thing i would change:

Since there are litteraly a ton of missions, why not make some unique and failable? Like the Lunar impacts (I'm not much further in the story so those are the only ones i came across wich fit my idea)

Bind them to the ship you put on the launchpad.

I see what you mean about the reputation rewards I had not changed many of these since the first few STS missions I made so this will just be a case of editing each file with an adjusted value, I hope to get round to this soon! I think I neglected these since I personally think the reputation system is somewhat broken (I have never managed to reach 100% rep ever, being hung at 99%). But I will make the necessary edits possibly this afternoon to balance out the contracts a bit more.

I have tried to bind some contracts to specific ships (and I believe these work with the later STS missions) but some earlier and later ones may not have this in place, I will be editing the missions for Cassini, Voyager, New Horizons etc. so that these are 'failable': in the respect that they would only be repeatable after a LONG time once failed. I see what you mean about the Luna impacts (some contracts such as those of the Ranger program; I have excluded since their real life counterparts failed to complete their mission). The only issue here is that with the way contract configurator manages progressing contracts, to complete one the former (if stated) must be completed otherwise the contracts would appear out of order. (E.g, Although some of the Mariner missions failed I thought it easier to include all just so that you do not suddenly jump from Mariner 2 to Mariner 10).

Balancing is varied across the pack, (only with Science and Funds at the moment). I based the funds rewards on the funds cost of a vessel that would be required (e.g I based the STS fund costs and rewards on the type of missions (cargo or science) and these were done using about 1.2x the cost of the shuttle (using the CSS shuttle as a model). Of course with some Soyuz missions (since there are literally 80 of them) the funds steadily decrease as time goes on since funds will be accumulated with other active missions (Such as Venera or Vega).

I did want to lock missions so that a Soviet/Russian mission must not be concurrent with a Nasa mission (especially early on) and I may well change this but for this testing stage (since I doubt anyone has even got 1/4 through the pack yet!) I did not want a bug in one mission to completely derail the whole pack preventing progression. (e.g a bug in Soyuz-21 would only cause issues for future Russian missions (Mir, Salyut), this bug would then only affect the other contract programs at for example STS-63 the first Shuttle Mir mission) This gives me time to fix the bug and allows everyone to keep playing in the meantime; although since most of the Early missions have been debugged now I will adjust the order of the Mercury and Vostoks.

As is said before im really happy with this pack a little balancing would be nice but if not its stil one of my favorites.

I disabld almost all of the stock contracts

(only one reward modified asteroid, one rescue with the exeption of solar rescue, one satelite with the exeption of solar orbit are available for me at once. The rest is disabled)

And your pack in combination with advanced progression, field research, annomaly surveyor, Tourism+and usefull stations (so alsmost everything you can get:D) are doing a great job.

There are some overlaps but its better to have 2 or 3 missions with the same goal then playing the stock ones for the 100th time ...

So no rush the most important thing, as you pointed out, is to keep your pack playable!

Okay guys, just a quick update, I have included the Explorer Program and the Helios Program and have experimented with some lower Reputation rewards (I agree.. they were a tad OP). The next update will focus on the ISS and the altering of all reputation rewards! (Nearly at 400!) Sorry for the slower progress as of late, I have been focusing on my new orbital decay mod - any realism fans might want to check it out! Help is wanted too so any plugin makers with some spare time who wouldn't mind helping me out should drop me a PM - (Ill make you a part of this contract pack as a passenger Kerbal on any mission you want if you do! :D)

Enjoy everyone! :)

Glad to hear, so i just delete all of the old stuff and get your update? And it wont break anything?

Sorry its late! Yes just copy and replace any files, I have not modified many of the early contracts so there should not be any issues really, if you want to be safe I would recommend possibly completing any of my contracts you have currently active (if possible - if not then it shouldn't be a problem anyway!) Have fun! :)

The Gemini-I has trait = Pilot, which requires a pilot on board (even though max crew is 0). This makes the contract pretty much impossible, afaict. i removed "trait = Pilot" and was able to complete the mission.

also, did they not test parachute/recovery with this mission? the mission calls for destruction of vessel, but i'd feel more at ease sending kerbals up if this mission also tested recovery!

Also, i think you have some fancy unicode emdashes instead of hyphens when denoting date ranges; at least on Windows these don't display so you just get "19581960." if you can't recall which missions those are, i can look them up.

cheers!

The Gemini-I has trait = Pilot, which requires a pilot on board (even though max crew is 0). This makes the contract pretty much impossible, afaict. i removed "trait = Pilot" and was able to complete the mission.

also, did they not test parachute/recovery with this mission? the mission calls for destruction of vessel, but i'd feel more at ease sending kerbals up if this mission also tested recovery!

Also, i think you have some fancy unicode emdashes instead of hyphens when denoting date ranges; at least on Windows these don't display so you just get "19581960." if you can't recall which missions those are, i can look them up.

cheers!

Thanks Duna, I have fixed this now, the bug was also present for Gemini-II, I don't think this should pop up again (atleast not for a while!)

They only actually tested the parachute recovery with Gemini-II, infact holes were drilled into the heat-shield of Gemini-I (if memory serves me) so that it would burn up :P

I don't know what you mean about the dates? Are you talking about the descriptions of the missions if so then I will fix these for the next update! Eww unicode.. :(

In the meantime I have released a hotfix version onto Kerbal stuff so no body gets too stuck! Enjoy :)

Hey,

after the update i can´t get any new missions..

do you know what the problem could be? :)

Same experience here. I started a new 1.0.4 career game, did the first two missions, then no more came up.

Try today's new release of Contract Configurator. Looks like that fixed it for me. :)

Same experience here. I started a new 1.0.4 career game, did the first two missions, then no more came up.

Try today's new release of Contract Configurator. Looks like that fixed it for me. :)

well i had that release already, just checked again, didnt show me any new missions :(

didnt test it in a fresh career game..

well i had that release already, just checked again, didnt show me any new missions :(

didnt test it in a fresh career game..

Hmm I'm not sure, have you tried deleting the Module Manager.SHA and .ConfigCache files? If it still persists then please send me a copy of your KSP.Log

So I have some things I would like to suggest:

First; Let the Pioneer and Sputnik contracts have one of each other as requirement, that prevents the player from doing those together in one big mission.

Second; those X-flights or whatever plane missions come later, would be awsome if you could ad the following requirement at the end:

-Landed:Biome Runway, stable for 10 seconds

Hi guys, sorry I have been out of touch for afew days, I will hopefully bugfix the Gemini-II mission tonight (On a mobile right now), if anyone else is stuck on this please try and play though some of the Russian missions in the meantime (sorry for the trouble!).

By the way, does anyone know how maculators first point could be achieved? I'm stumped as to how to set contracts to a specific vessel and prevent this vessel from completing other contracts without making contracts exist one at a time (even though this may only be an issue for the early missions (1960's era)). I also intend on adding the runway requirements to the X-15 flights and the Shuttle ALT flights (Maybe with the STS missions but these could be too tricky especially using only gliding shuttles).

Enjoy! The next update will be a bug fix for Gemini-II - thanks Duna! The following update will add runway requirements and begin adding more detail and bugfixes to the pack. (Based on the current sway of the poll). :)

So im not verry brilliant with coding but cant you just put them in a "contract folder" so the first sputnik unlocks the first pioneer etc.?

Oh and for the Ranger i think it is (the ones with probes in solar orbit) missions: would be better to make it a "new vessel", because what ifound out right now is: if you accept one of those contracts and then switch to a vessel in solar orbit, its completed.

Edited by maculator

You could use defined vessels to make them mutually independent:

// Use this in the Pioneer contract
PARAMETER
{
name = VPG
type = VesselParameterGroup
define = Pioneer

PARAMETER
{
name = IsNotVessel
type = IsNotVessel

vessel = Sputnik
}

// Add other vessel parameters here
}

// Use this in the Sputnik contract
PARAMETER
{
name = VPG
type = VesselParameterGroup
define = Sputnik

PARAMETER
{
name = IsNotVessel
type = IsNotVessel

vessel = Pioneer
}

// Add other vessel parameters here
}

Another option is to put the contracts together in a child contract group with maxSimultaneous = 1, that way the player can only accept one at a time (might be a better option is you have a LOT of these that you want to make independent).

Finally tracked down why none of the duration requirements were showing up; it seems like they need to be outside the Orbit parameter, at the same level as VesselParameterGroup.

If you had the source repo up somewhere i'd send you a patch ;)

This might get you partway there:

$ find . -name \*.cfg -print0 | xargs -0 perl -000 -p -i.bak -e 's/(\s*PARAMETER[^{]*{[^{]*name = Duration[^}]*}\s*)}/}\n$1/gi'

Gemini VII's objective says "title = Launch the Gemini-V" and not Gemini-VII. Edited by dunadirect

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.