[1.1.3] Contract Pack: Historic Missions [V2.3.0] 23/07/2016 - Display Updates and Mars exploration!

Whitecat106

How should the pack be separated? (In addition to the Full Pack)  

236 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like the pack divided?

• Agency Based
    • Chronologically Based
    • Country Based
    • Era Based (1945-1975, 1976-1996, 1997 - 2017)

didnt help, going to have to decline which is a pain in my hardcore game.

and why does it have silly crew capacity requirements, if it can use "unmanned vessel" condition?

Sorry about this everyone, since I have not made the missions myself I have not had time to test them, I will put out a quick update now.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I have released 1.6.1 which fixes the issues raised above, if you are having issues please decline the contract or cancel it (even use the Alt-F12 menu if you want) to remove any active instances of the contract and then try again. Sorry everyone!

Enjoy!

So University WiFi is bad for uploading mods apparently, bear with the KerbalStuff download not yet updating to 1.6.1

Edited by Whitecat106

Thanks for bearing with us everyone with regard to the issues with my added contracts. It's entirely possible that I added some fixes on my end after I gave all the files to Whitecat, for which I apologise.

Indeed, on checking the config files I have it seems I had removed the strange crew capacity parameter (I think I was experimenting with something) from the A-3 contract, as well as in any other contracts I'd added it to.

Once again thanks for bringing these issues up!

Thanks for bearing with us everyone with regard to the issues with my added contracts. It's entirely possible that I added some fixes on my end after I gave all the files to Whitecat, for which I apologise.

Indeed, on checking the config files I have it seems I had removed the strange crew capacity parameter (I think I was experimenting with something) from the A-3 contract, as well as in any other contracts I'd added it to.

Once again thanks for bringing these issues up!

All good in the end. Thanks for working on this We all appreciate your efforts.
Sorry about this everyone, since I have not made the missions myself I have not had time to test them, I will put out a quick update now.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I have released 1.6.1 which fixes the issues raised above, if you are having issues please decline the contract or cancel it (even use the Alt-F12 menu if you want) to remove any active instances of the contract and then try again. Sorry everyone!

Enjoy!

So University WiFi is bad for uploading mods apparently, bear with the KerbalStuff download not yet updating to 1.6.1

Thanks for the update. I notice there is no Kerbal stuff /CKAN update on this yet at time of posting and version 1.6.0 is still getting downloaded. Worth mentioning as people still might come back and ask for a fix not realising that it has been done. Happy to wait out on this as imho this is best set of contracts yet.

[quote name='fosborb']I think R-2A.cfg needs ReachState instead of an Orbital parameter. Not sure how to hit 150000 min altitude with SUB_ORBITAL otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I found the same issue... first I tried suborbital with 150k alt, didn't work. Orbital at 150k also doesn't work cause you're not suborbital...

Yep, my bad. I'd already changed it to a ReachState parameter on my end, and not asked Whitecat to update the master file.

For the record, here's what it looks in my version now:

[QUOTE]PARAMETER
{
name = ReachState
type = ReachState
targetBody = Kerbin
minAltitude = 150000
disableOnStateChange = true
situation = SUB_ORBITAL
}[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gerishnakov']Yep, my bad. I'd already changed it to a ReachState parameter on my end, and not asked Whitecat to update the master file.

For the record, here's what it looks in my version now:[/QUOTE]

Thanks i run into this yesterday and i could not build a rocket that powerful with my science into space and so on but this clears it up. Also i would like to say that i started a fresh playthrou with only these contracts (and worlds first just for fun) so i can and will report any dead ends (financial wise) or bugs.

Thank you too for this great mod!

[B]Also i propose to merge the ScanSat mod contracts/parts into the missions with the space probes so it gets even a more immerse feeling.

UPDATE:
[/B]Ok so here is the situation.

1. If i fix the R-2A.cfg config like in the post above, it does not get selected and i go straight to vanguard 1. Whats wrong with that ? -> I found that both Vanguard-1 and R-2A have V2no20 as a requirement. Is this intended ?

2. If you do not have "Science Funding" it is not possible to play the Vanguard mission as it needs a deployable solar panel and these cost 160 science (hard to get also but possible with some part mods) BUT you also need 450 000 in cash for upgrading R&D and now i have 172 000. As i do only play the historic mission i just dont have enough cash to play this mission.

Thanks Edited by ManuxKerb

I just thought I would chime in here and let the author know that I am having fun with these. I did load in the USProbesPack, either I did something wrong or something else. A couple that I did use, even though the solar panels extended, they didn't actually 'work' as in they didn't collect energy for the craft or batteries.

None the less, I am learning much and can't wait for the later missions [currently circa 1960 mars and eve missions]

Overall I am loving this!

On 11/14/2015, 1:26:28, fosborb said:

I think R-2A.cfg needs ReachState instead of an Orbital parameter. Not sure how to hit 150000 min altitude with SUB_ORBITAL otherwise.

I also just ran into this. Combined with a couple of other little bugs I now wish I had been taking notes.

Is there an ideal way to submit fixes? Forum? Perhaps github?

Also, I'm not an expert at the Contract Configurator, but I see where the proposed (and already added to dev) fix was regarding the ReachState parameter.

On 11/20/2015, 6:33:08, gerishnakov said:

Yep, my bad. I'd already changed it to a ReachState parameter on my end, and not asked Whitecat to update the master file.

But in the process of trying to figure out why the contract didn't complete I was looking at the Contract Configurator documentation and finally saw this (particularly noting the "vessel's apoapsis and periapsis must both be above this number"):

PARAMETER
{
    name = Orbit
    type = Orbit

// Minimum orbit altitude in meters.  The vessel's apoapsis and
    // periapsis must both be above this number.
    //
    minAltitude = 100000

And this:

PARAMETER
{
    name = Orbit
    type = Orbit

// Minimum apoapsis in meters.
    //
    minApA = 100000

So out of curiosity, is setting a ReachState better than changing the existing Orbit parameter's minAltitude property to a minApA property?

Anyway, I again can't say enough about how excited I am about this. I have been dreaming of such a thing since reading through mendahu's fantastic recreation of notable historical missions in KSP: http://www.ksphistory.com/ I would love to help with any bug fixes along the way if I can so let me know the best way to report those.

PS - Recalling the bug I first experienced, the R-1V mission confused me regarding the crewed or uncrewed need for the flight. This is because the first thing said under "Objectives" is (a note): "Launch the first mammal into space and return it safely to Kerbin." And then the combination of returning samples and "Crew: Unmanned: Complete: Unmanned: Incomplete" just looked so buggy that I wasn't confident on what was the right thing to do. I would suggest moving the "note" to the briefing/description so I don't have to wonder if a Kerbal is a mammal that needs to be included in my R-1V. I also thought contracts that are unmanned look a little simpler like this (one less "Unmanned:"):

Mission: Incomplete
   Crew: Incomplete
      Unmanned: Incomplet
   Conditions: Incomplete
      Condition 1: Incomplete
      Condition 2: Incomplete

Any idea why all of the Historic Missions I've seen thus far have two "Unmanned: " labels? Maybe it's a contract configurator thing but other contracts I have don't show it that way.

And one last thing, the R-2A mission has a whole second half to the description in the config that doesn't show up in game in case you didn't already know.

25 minutes ago, Black-Talon said:

So out of curiosity, is setting a ReachState better than changing the existing Orbit parameter's minAltitude property to a minApA property?

Good analysis. :)

The difference in this scenario between a ReachState and the Orbit minApA is that you just need to get the apoapsis up for the orbit one (you could be practically on the ground if you could hypothetically get going fast enough.  So ReachState is probably what's needed here - you'll need to actually get the vessel to 150,000m, rather than making the vessel have the potential of getting to 150,000m

27 minutes ago, nightingale said:

So ReachState is probably what's needed here - you'll need to actually get the vessel to 150,000m, rather than making the vessel have the potential of getting to 150,000m

Nice, thanks!

On 11/25/2015, 7:36:46, gerishnakov said:

Yeah the R-2A should trigger on just the V-2, with Vanguard-1 triggering on V-2 no 20, and Sputnik-1 triggering after the R-2A.

Shouldn't the R-2A require the R-1V to be complete (not V-2 as you write above).

Sputnik-1 requiring R-2A makes sense (correct above and in the Contract Pack).

But then Vanguard-1 would require at least Sputnik-1 (not V-2N20 as you write above) and historically Explorer-I as well? But I'm not sure of your intent. Maybe players have the flexibility to change history as we go? If we're rewriting history then would then Explorer-1 shouldn't be dependent on Sputnik-1 (as it is in the Pack's config), Explorer-1 should instead depend on V-2N20, as you've suggested for Vanguard-1, right? Again I'll highlight that it depends on your intent; do you want it restricted to historic order? Or just dependent on that country/agencies progress? Both are sensical options.

Having written this all down I think I know what I'm going to do to mine. Give the player the option to change history (thoughts?):

• R-1V requires V-2 to be complete - no change
  • R-2A requires R-1V to be complete - change needed
  • Sputnik-1 requires R-2A to be complete - no change
  •  
  • V-2N20 requires V-2 to be complete - no change
  • Explorer-1 requires V-2N20 to be complete - change needed
  • Vanguard-1 requires V-2N20 to be complete - change needed

On 11/24/2015, 4:47:59, ManuxKerb said:

If you do not have "Science Funding" it is not possible to play the Vanguard mission as it needs a deployable solar panel and these cost 160 science (hard to get also but possible with some part mods) BUT you also need 450 000 in cash for upgrading R&D and now i have 172 000. As i do only play the historic mission i just dont have enough cash to play this mission.

So perhaps another requirement needs to be added to the contract? Like this(?):

REQUIREMENT
{
    name = PartModuleUnlocked
    type = PartModuleUnlocked

// PartModule that needs to be unlocked.
    //
    partModule = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
}

Also, it might be helpful to know that the first available solar panel in the stock technology tree, the OX-STAT Panel (single fixed panel surface mountable anywhere) uses that *Deployable* Solar Panel module and is unlockable with 90 Science and prior to the expensive R7D upgrade. The *Deployable* language actually/unfortunately seems to indicate you will want/need a panel that can extend/deploy. But that just happens to be the name of all solar panel modules in the game.

I only have two mission left, venera-7 and Lunokhod-1 , will more contract be triggering?

With that said, I had to use the debug menu for the Soyuz missions where I had to orbit for day(s) as it would seem that 1.0.5 has a physics issue and my i7 machine just starts to crawl after about 8 orbits.

I am very much looking forward to finishing the Gemini and getting to the Apollo missions.

Thank you

Edited by gamerscircle

I do realize that it is the holidays and a very busy time of the year.  I was curious if anyone else has had similar problems?  The problem that I came across:

I used a craft/mod for doing the  Soyuz 2/  Soyuz  3 mission.  This was where you launched "2" as an unmanned and then launched "3" with a pilot and then docked.  I was able to do all of that, I landed "3", but I think that 1.0.5 has introduced a new issue really doesn't allow me to warp around a planet for the "7 day shakedown" as the game just becomes a frame per frame slide show.

So, I used the debug menu to complete both of those missions and currently the only two missions I have is the Venera 7 and the 1st Russian rover mission.

Nothing else is coming up.

Thanks again, having a great time with this mod.

On 01/12/2015, 07:25:33, Black-Talon said:

So perhaps another requirement needs to be added to the contract? Like this(?):

REQUIREMENT
{
    name = PartModuleUnlocked
    type = PartModuleUnlocked

// PartModule that needs to be unlocked.
    //
    partModule = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
}

Also, it might be helpful to know that the first available solar panel in the stock technology tree, the OX-STAT Panel (single fixed panel surface mountable anywhere) uses that *Deployable* Solar Panel module and is unlockable with 90 Science and prior to the expensive R7D upgrade. The *Deployable* language actually/unfortunately seems to indicate you will want/need a panel that can extend/deploy. But that just happens to be the name of all solar panel modules in the game.

I wrote the Vanguard missions with use of a tech tree such as SETI, wherein the first solar panels are unlocked relatively early. Also, you aren't meant to be able to complete the Vanguard missions as soon as they come up. You should get Vanguard and Sputnik missions being offered at more or less the same time, and this is meant to parallel the real history of the space race; the Americans could have beaten the Soviets, if they had gone with the Explorer missions first instead of Vanguard, which is why in game when you complete Sputnik-1 the contract for Explorer-1 becomes available, as the Americans rushed to launch any kind of satellite of their own.

Hello everyone,

I have been very busy lately but I now have a few days off to work on this mod, if someone could please post a list of all the current issues with 1.6.1 I will fix and upload a 1.6.2 patch by the end of the day!

Thanks,

Whitecat106

Hello and I would like to post a follow-up to my posts.  Since I am new to KSP [14 weeks], I do not know how the 'contracts' work and it would seem that even thought I was "holding" what seemed to be the last two contracts.  After I completed the last one, 5 more appeared and I would seem that this is the pattern?  I am currently holding onto 1 contract and I suspect that when I complete this one, more will appear?

If this is now how it is suppose to work, then what I can I provide to help?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.