Astro's Kopernicus Planets

Astrofox

What would you want in the planet pack?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want in the planet pack?

• more moons
    • more planets
    • "lagrange point" moons/planets
    • rings
    • cubic planetary system
    • more moons around stock planets
    • other, and just post a comment asking for what you wish.

Well, long story short...

Most of us want new planets, right? So, I decided we needed more planet packs, of course, for more variety in planetary/star systems.

This planet pack is a WIP, so I will need all the help I can get from the forums. The planets are showing up and we are still working on some bugs.

However, this pack is made to add newer explorable worlds, which are exotic for viewing, and others for science collection (when we implement biomes).

Thanks for support in the WIP stage!

Also, more Kopernicus planet making guides/codes would be nice.

Things developed (kinda):

-A "Mun" around Dres - pretty much finished: named Kosarn

-Small Gas planet - still WIP, but the main gas giant is at the very least is finished: named Mysterio. It has a radius of 1500km @ equator.

This we are planning on doing:

-Muns around the mini gas planet

-A Brown Dwarf planet-star.

-Binary Planets (if Kopernicus and the game allow us)

-Binary moons

-quite a bit more.

Thing we aren't so sure about:

-A Kraken look-a-like planet

-cubical moons.

-copy of Kerbin that has its old map.

Here's some pics of the development:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Those Participating/ developing this mod:

-amarius1

-Astrofox (myself)

-Hammersamatom

-MrHappyFace

-Thomas P. (for tips and Kopernicus version updates - those are huge)

-Nansuchao

-Elowiny

-ibuckshot

-Pkmniako

-Kandjk

-The White Guardian

Anyone can help with the development of the mod!

Astrofox's mod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Edited by Astrofox
Added list

Alright... Would you like to collaborate? You only nead to tell me your email adress (for easy dev builds) and reddit account (so you can get new visitors from reddit mod advertising). Deal or not deal? Also, when I'll have some time I will send you the working version with inckuded custom terrain. Would you like an orange or perhaps red gas giant out side the orbit of jool that has a blue moon with clouds that don't require EVE? Working hard on Kerbol Plus and Alternis Kerbol Revived, but I may have time to help you! Also, can i provide you with some textures for planets?

Yes, I would like to collaborate with you in the development of this mod. So yes, Deal.

I will PM you my E-mail, as well as my Reddit account.

I would like to implement several things for this mod, so I may actually create a list of things that may be possible to implement.

Of course, I am an absolute noob with Kopernicus, this is my first attempt in a very long time to create Kopernicus planets - I'm very glad you offered to collab with me!

Here's a DOWNLOAD@MEGA: https://mega.co.nz/#!Z8p2yZxY!aiFVxN1Fe14wZdpXzEhcdo1rOCXATf8YYBczly9Ilw8

It contains the fixes and texture improvements.

Yes, I would like to collaborate with you in the development of this mod. So yes, Deal.

I will PM you my E-mail, as well as my Reddit account.

I would like to implement several things for this mod, so I may actually create a list of things that may be possible to implement.

Of course, I am an absolute noob with Kopernicus, this is my first attempt in a very long time to create Kopernicus planets - I'm very glad you offered to collab with me!

Hehe thank you! Also, I've quickly made a fixed verskon that should work using my tablet. It should work, but if there are any path typos let me know. Also, tell ke your ideas! After I finish Kerbol Plus your pack will be so much fun to make... Cheers! Btw, here's my info:

mail: amarius2000@gmail

reddit: Amarius1

For some reason, only the stock planets show up.

What could be the problem?

[Edit]: I removed the Astro's Planet Pack file from GameData, and Your planets re-appeared.

Edited by Astrofox
Discovery!

Well, for start, just remove my mod except the Kopernicus Folder. Also, folder structure may be the reason things don't work. Please check the paths in your configs and check if they indicate the correct texture path. The first thing written in your texture path should be your mod folder name located in GameData. From the download I sent you, install the first folder you find right after you open the .zip. Have fun!

I am getting this when I fully load up the game:

[Exception]: IOException: Sharing violation on path C:\Users\David\Desktop\KSP_win v1.0.2\Logs\Mysterio.Body.log

and I get an empty log only a few lines afterward.

Only stock planets show up and I even removed the entirety of your mod (moved it somewhere else: put it in a new file on my desktop) and even checked my planets for mistakes.

I have many mods and I am wondering if I should download a "clean" version of KSP.

I am getting this when I fully load up the game:

[Exception]: IOException: Sharing violation on path C:\Users\David\Desktop\KSP_win v1.0.2\Logs\Mysterio.Body.log

and I get an empty log only a few lines afterward.

Only stock planets show up and I even removed the entirety of your mod (moved it somewhere else: put it in a new file on my desktop) and even checked my planets for mistakes.

I have many mods and I am wondering if I should download a "clean" version of KSP.

Heh, in that case, be sure to NEVER have other mods in your special testing GameData, other than Hyperedit (for testing planets) , Kopernicus (the one provided with Kerbol Plus), module manager, and your own pack. NOw checking mysterio again on my tablet, to find out what is wrong with it. but, you could at least, see how the rocky moon works, by moving the MysterioSystem folder out of GameData. Cheers and be sure to respond quick.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, found the reason it didn't work. Just open Mysterio. cfg and delete everything before the second @Kopernicus:AFTER... Now it should work. I guarantee! Also, what do you think about the gas giant's new tweaked texture?

I would like to volunteer to help, if I may.

Email: [email protected]

Owersome! What role do you want to have? Astro comes with ideas and creates the basic planetes, I make textures and fix planet configs and you? We are glad to have you on the team! For now, you could start by providing some Space Engine textures. We only nead the normal/height/greyscale/bumpmaps exported. I then create a color map and normal from the height.

How familiarised are you with Kopernicus? I have a tutorial but for now it is just for gas planets...

- - - Updated - - -

A sharing violation appears when two programms try to edit the file at the same time, do you have an second instance of KSP running? :D

So that's the strange thing... Also, anyway, as I said in a comment earlier, the config for Mysterio has parts of it wrong. Now, I've alrewdy told him how to fix it but it appears that he has as much time as me to work on the mod! Cheers!

Um, Kosarn works, kinda - It has no surface and is pink as pink could ever be.

Should I install KittopiaSpace or not?

NEVER use kittopia again man! That is old and bulky. Use only the Kopernicus version provided with Kerbol Plus as it is the newest stable (public) one. Kopernicus can now do what kittopia did, and more. Also, make sure Kosarn has a resonable size. Check pths so everything goes nice. I don't have time now, but I'll check the configs and fix them to get everything working. If I made Kosarn from ground up, it would be done in less than one howr but heh... Time is a big ....er to fight with.

I could definitely do Space Engine textures, I tend to spend most of my free time exploring the random universe anyway. :D

Do you prefer that I upload them to dropbox or GDrive? What resolution do you want on the Space Engine textures? What type of planets would you prefer me to export (Terra, Desert, Ice World)?

As for how much I know regarding Kopernicus, I can help with basic (not so advanced and easy) PQS mods, workable orbits, humorous science, etc, etc.

Edited by Hammersamatom
Spell Check

@Hammersamatom:

Any would be fine! (although, the textures I'm trying to get around will be easy on lower end computers or for those with too many mods, so it would be okay for the 1024 resolution.)

However, I (Astrofox) prefer Dropbox as the main download site, however, I am not so sure at what amarius1 would like.

Yes, Science is very much recommended for the release of the pack.

I may end up creating some textures (first with MS paint, and then improving them with Photoshop, or something along those lines).

Keep in mind that this is my first mod, and I am an absolute newcomer at creating planets, so I need all the help I can get.

@amarius1:

I've fixed a few things, however, we still have that pink planet no-show bug for Kosarn, and I seem to have noticed that Mysterio has a second copy of code in its config (yeah, I keep checking and I try to bug-fix constantly)

In NC it's about 10:07 now, and I am getting ready for bed.

Thank you all for helping me out, and I will probably add more item to the list tonight, or tomorrow morning.

I could definitely do Space Engine textures, I tend to spend most of my free time exploring the random universe anyway. :D

Do you prefer that I upload them to dropbox or GDrive? What resolution do you want on the Space Engine textures? What type of planets would you prefer me to export (Terra, Desert, Ice World)?

As for how much I know regarding Kopernicus, I can help with basic (not so advanced and easy) PQS mods, workable orbits, humorous science, etc, etc.

Well, they should be in 2048x resolution because we could then rescale them for people wth lower end conputers and that way we have a hight res andlowers res pack. Maybe 4096x... Desert, ice and terras.

- - - Updated - - -

@Hammersamatom:

Any would be fine! (although, the textures I'm trying to get around will be easy on lower end computers or for those with too many mods, so it would be okay for the 1024 resolution.)

However, I (Astrofox) prefer Dropbox as the main download site, however, I am not so sure at what amarius1 would like.

I may end up creating some textures (first with MS paint, and then improving them with Photoshop, or something along those lines).

Keep in mind that this is my first mod, and I am an absolute newcomer at creating planets, so I need all the help I can get.

@amarius1:

I've fixed a few things, however, we still have that pink planet no-show bug for Kosarn, and I seem to have noticed that Mysterio has a second copy of code in its config (yeah, I keep checking and I try to bug-fix constantly)

Thank you all for helping me out, and I will probably add more item to the list tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Just delete the code before the second @Kopernicus:AFTER and you should be fine with Mysterio. I'll fix the bug with Kosarn myself.

Kinda fixed Mysterio - it appears white in the tracking station, but nothing too major to fix, Kosarn still isn't fixed - I checked the config to look at the textures to see if something was routed differently, but nothing was routed differently, although, I do have to ask, is the .png supposed to be at the end of the Kosarn height map in the config?

[edit] I think I found Mysterio's problem, will update and reload.

[edit2] Nope, somehow didn't fix the problem.

[edit3] Here's a Download of the semi-functional version:

Astro's Planets

Edited by Astrofox
Discovery!

https://mega.co.nz/#!1s50xCJL!v0sXpjoldtxzsYv-9lByoplCqwTrAvlxlox6v9J1FJQ

Fixed version now!!! Try it and keep folder structure as it is. 90% this will work perfectly. Your old configs no longer work here. You must not use Kopernicus Tech tutorials or examples since they are all old and buggy. Use my Kerbol Plus configs as examples.

- - - Updated - - -

@Hammersamatom:

@amarius1:

Also, we should use Github as main download site because, at many downloads, dropbox pages close. Learned that the har way with Kerbol Plus. But for now we should use Mega, since it is online, you don't nead to install it on your computer, and is more flexible than other download managers.

I tried, and the same thing's happening. I only have Hyperedit installed, as well as Kopernicus (the version you placed in the download) and the Astro's Planets file.

Edit: haven't tried the version you just posted.

Will test now.

Edit2: found an error with Mysterio - the textures file has Mysterio_map when the config says Mysterio_color.

Edit3: You can't get enough of those edits, can you? But hey - Mysterio works if you change that one coding error, can't say the same with Kosarn though.

Edited by Astrofox

I'll take a look at Kosarn. Seen it happen before.

--UPDATE!--

I fixed Kosarn! The deformity is also really high for a celestial body it's size, downscale it a bit to remove the spiky terrain.

[Remove the } before the science data in the config!]

Edited by Hammersamatom

@Hammersamatom, Kosarn is working well, however, when I look at it in the tracking station/map mode, it seems to be round, however, when I enter its SOI, it isn't as smooth - what could be the problem?

I changed it's size to 20km, (20000m), since I didn't want something bad to happen, however, as you said, it has extremely spiky terrain, and I want the terrain to be as smooth as it can be with some really spiky areas spread across the map.

Thanks for helping the effort!

Also, where can I downscale its spikiness in the config?

Also, the lighting is kinda buggy in the tracking station/map mode, it works when you get close enough (~120Km) to Kosarn.

Edited by Astrofox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.