Symmetry around part vs. whole craft?

Say I have a rocket with a pair of boosters on the sides. I want to add something to the boosters and want the symmetry to be around each booster, not around the entire craft.

For example, if I wanted to add 2 fins to each booster, I would turn on 2x symmetry which would make each fin appear once on each booster, because the symmetry is centered around the craft. But what if I wanted each fin to attach twice symmetrically on a single booster, meaning the symmetry is around the booster itself?

Not sure if I'm bringing my point across clearly, but basically I want to know if/how this can be done.

Thanks!!

Use only 1 booster, customize that. Then, use symmetry to copy the customize the booster/part.

I'd thought about that before, but if I build the booster as part of the central stack and then detach it from there and try to put it on radially (for it to work as a booster), it won't allow it because the attachment node (green sphere) will only let me attach it vertically. Or am I doing it wrong?

Edited by A_name

depending on what exactly you want, you might want to try out the subassembly feature.

it takes some thinking/trail-n-error before you start, but sometimes it helps.

i generally use it for probes or small landers. i make one (starting with an upside down docking port) with the desired radial symmetry and save it as subassembly (root part being the lower, up-facing docking port). while building my main stage i can just add the lander as a part, symmetry preserved.

didn't know about the F key, gonna try that next time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.