Proper 3D screenshots where you can rotate crafts now available!

Maschinenbauer

A website called "Sketchfab" now offers a KSP exporter to create and embed fully rotateable 3D views of your craft!

How to:

https://vimeo.com/127469305

Sing up:

https://skfb.ly/EDJM

This was shown by the KSP page on facebook quite a while ago, but it was too difficult to upload a craft. This has now changend.

Hint: Make a clean clone of the vanilla game, add the compatible mods and upload your crafts from that folder. That way you can be sure that the textures aren´t corrupted by things like ATM or others.

Guys, a whole new era of KSP "screenshots" has just begun!

Give it a try!

EDIT: Troubleshooting

-Errormessage (Object has no length): Make sure you don´t run incompatible mods.

-No textures applied: You downloaded the alpha tool, go back to github.com/sketchfab/ksp-exporter/releases and get the beta!

-Engine shrouds: Open 3D settings, go to the materials tab and select the fairings material. Set transperancy to 100 and their gone!

News!

The support told me:

Procedural parts (struts) doesn't look so "easy" to handle with the data we currently hace, we need to dig a little bit in the game data in order to find a way to process and render them correctly. In the meantime, as these parts give a very buggy effect to the models, we will simply hide them for now, but we will look at the same time for a workaround to process them correctly.

Landing gear:

Your second question refers to one of the things that we will probably do first. We are working on these parts in order to set them in the same state as they actually are in the game. We have the data, we just have to make it works for every animated parts.

Btw, we will do an update of ksp processing soon, that will hide bottom shrouds and also fix some scale issues.

Thanks, we 'll keep you in touch!

Aurélien

Please report compatible or incompatible mods in the comments so I can add them to the list!

Mods known incompatible:

-ATM (Active texture management)

-Texture replacer

-Real Chutes

-Kerbal Engineer

-KW rocketry

-KSPX

-Tweakable Everything

Mostly compatible:

-Firespitter

-BDarmory

Mods known compatible:

-LazTek SpaceX Launch Pack

-kduffers korp Halo Ships

-KAX

-KAS

-Nova Punch

-Mechjeb

-Infernal Robotics

Aeris 3A improved by dunealex on Sketchfab

Ring Station 5 by dunealex on Sketchfab

Working Mod example: LazTek SpaceX Launch Exploration

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29388-0-90-LazTek-SpaceX-Launch-Exploration-Colonial-Transporter-Historic-mods-%281-25-14%29

LT SpaceX Dragon V2 by dunealex on Sketchfab

Protip: Make the unwanted parts like engine shrouds disappear!

KqMtPLh.png

Edited by Maschinenbauer
More details

I decided to see how this handles mod parts, so I uploaded my Positron lifter (which uses mod engines). I'll post it up when it finishes processing.

EDIT:

It does not appear to properly handle fairings or engine shrouds. It also does not handle textures at all, though mod parts appear not to be a problem for it.

Edited by Captain Sierra

The only problem is even if it did work, it wouldn't be readily accepted unless Squad built it into the game. It's hard enough to get people to post screenshots when they have a problem and that is built in.

The only problem is even if it did work, it wouldn't be readily accepted unless Squad built it into the game.

They already promoted Sketchfab when there was no craft support or exporttool at all.

It does not appear to properly handle fairings or engine shrouds. It also does not handle textures at all, though mod parts appear not to be a problem for it.

Yip, ran into the same issue. That must be a bug as in their video the textures worked. [EDIT: The textures are broken because I used the alpha tool, make sure to download the final release on github.] Struts and fuellines are calculated as you launch your craft and I guess it´s a whole different story to get those to work right.

Upload with Beta tool from an unmodded install:

Super-Heavy Lander by dunealex on Sketchfab

Droppod MKII by dunealex on Sketchfab

Edited by Maschinenbauer

Also, how did you guys get the custom backgrounds?

When you open the 3D settings open the "lighting" tab and turn "replace background" off. Then go to the "scene" tab and upload your background under "fixed background".

I also recommend using PBR renderer to not make your crafts shine like crazy^^.

2UmXAp7.png

There´s now a workaround. A staff from Sktechfab told me how to :)

You can simply go and set the tranparency of the shroud texture to 100 and they´re gone!

Is anyone else having the issue of an uncontrolled zoom-in until it clips through the craft and focuses on the dead center? In order to see crafts I have to continuously scroll out, and even then it's sort of a losing battle. Maybe a problem with FireFox?

It works! I also did a PBR render and turned down the glossiness to minimum, and I'm quite happy with the result...

FLYER THINGY by insertusernamehere on Sketchfab

- - - Updated - - -

Ven's Stock Revamp (at least the WIP version) does not work. But it does't really work in-game anyway right now.

Actually, there's no firespitter in that plane at all, it's just stock. However, someone else tried a firespitter plane, and it mostly works.

EDIT: I found the guy who tried it, and it's actually a KAX propeller, he just wanted to see what it did with the animations. This is the result:

Tail-Dragger by duodex on Sketchfab

:huh:

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername
Fixed spelling mistakes

Actually, there's no firespitter in that plane at all, it's just stock. However, someone else tried a firespitter plane, and it mostly works.

EDIT: I found the guy who tried it, and it's actually a KAX propeller, he just wanted to see what it did with the animations.

The animations are two textures applied at once. You can choose which state you want by making the other one transparent.

Ok, so I´ll add KAX to the compatible. I thought your gear was firespitter.

Thx!

I get the following error: "The file is invalid (Error 13)" when in the uploading phase. Any idea what's causing this and/or how to fix it?

I´m sure you checked all the usual error sources? Mods, wrong uploader, wrong file etc...?

Maybe a more precise description of what you did would help. And contacting the sketchfab support might help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.