Am I Crazy?!

Crazy.  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Crazy.

• Yes, you are crazy. Nobody knows what you are talking about.
    • No, we are all crazy cuz it happens to all of us.

So I'm wondering if this is something other people experience or if I'm just screwing up somewhere.

Basically, if I go to the launch pad and launch a large rocket, sometimes it will just explode from top to bottom for absolutely no reason. At first I thought it was clipping but here's where it gets weird. The rockets never once explode if I first 'edit' them in the VAB. Loading the rocket in the VAB and then clicking the VAB launch button makes it so they are 100% safe... but take that same rocket and launch it from the launchpad and Kerbagheddon starts?

I don't wanna make a bugreport unless at least someone else confirms my hallucinations.

Edited by OddFunction

I've had fairly simple rockets and when the camera switches to the launchpad it is like a disaster movie - the rocket is sitting there on the pad with fire coming off it and a roaring wind - like it had suddenly reentered the atmosphere sideways at high speed. Reverting usually makes it go away

Are you using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? I've had large rockets collapse under their own wieght without it.

I am not, but I will definately look into it.

The rocket in question, although this affects any big enough rocket:

dHElnRn.jpg

rFvnOMX.jpg

B1R8Tbq.jpg

and the explodey part:

hKwjtO2.jpg

No clipping though, I've manually replaced all the service bays really carefully.

when you set a new vessel on the launchpad, it sometimes needs to 'swing in' first... meaning, it sets a little at load. kinda like a spring compressing itself by its own weight a little. when it springs back, the upper parts are still in a downward motion, the lower parts going upwards already. at on point the forces meet and obviously overload one of the parts...

my hypothesis would be, that the amount of 'setting' the rocket encounters is somehow different if you load it directly onto the pad vs. launching it from the VAB... could that be it?

I haven't placed surface attached parts on the ceilings of the bays, but, at least in my experience, attaching a part to the ceiling attachment node is best avoided. I've actually never had problems if I clip into the service bay ceiling, as long as its attached from the floor up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.