Random crashing while in Desktop, Firefox ....

icecreamberni

My R9 290 crashes randomly while at the Desktop or other non demanding application. I have to reset the computer after that. A temporary fix is to turn off the downclocking of the card while in idle but that increases power consumption by 30W. Hope anyone knows a fix for that. My Specs are R9 290, FX 8350, Msi 970 Gaming AM3+, 8GB Ram and a 750W bequiet power supply.

I can imagine its the voltage thats dropping to far on idle, but that would be very unusual since they test lots of GPUs to determine a voltage were none are unstable. If you are able to edit the idle clock of the card change it to a lower value and look if that is stable, then this will be the issue and you should return the card.

I did a fresh install. Didnt help.

Connecting a second monitor fixes the crashing but gives me horizontal stripes that flash up for 1 frame. I think its the VRAM that causes the crashes.

(Connecting multiple monitors prevents the VRAM from downclocking)

Anyone knows how to fix that without connecting multiple monitors?

Edited by icecreamberni

I did a fresh install. Didnt help.

Connecting a second monitor fixes the crashing but gives me horizontal stripes that flash up for 1 frame. I think its the VRAM that causes the crashes.

(Connecting multiple monitors prevents the VRAM from downclocking)

Anyone knows how to fix that without connecting multiple monitors?

Yeah just return it like elthy said, that card should not be crashing or giving you visual artifacts.

I wouldnt contact sapphire but the shop were you bought it, afaik there is "Gewährleistung" in austria, too. I dont know the legal details but im sure you dont have to wait months for a new card if you contact the shop directly since they will propably just give you a new card and retun the faulty one to Sapphire themselves to get their money back...

I cant see anything about how long it would take, but in germany you are able to set a reasonable timeframe for repairs (e.g. a week) and you should insist on retuning it on "Gewährleistung", they maybe want to use warrant because its less struggle for them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.