Fresh Install: Mod Suggestions?

EdgySpork

I just did a fresh install as a result of too many mods. I always end up installing a ton of mods,

but the majority of the mods never get any use and simply clutter up the catalog unnecessarily.

If I had to narrow down mod choice to a list of around 15, which ones would be considered most essential?

Just looking for opinions and whatnot.

I'll borrow this thread to ask about cosmetic mods; what are the 'essential' ones? For 1.0.2 ofc. I never used a lot of mods apart from kerbal engineer so haven't really looked into them... I just downloaded planetshine and enginelighting, what else is out there? I thought there was one that generated clouds on worlds with atmospheres but couldn't find one..?

I'll borrow this thread to ask about cosmetic mods; what are the 'essential' ones? For 1.0.2 ofc. I never used a lot of mods apart from kerbal engineer so haven't really looked into them... I just downloaded planetshine and enginelighting, what else is out there? I thought there was one that generated clouds on worlds with atmospheres but couldn't find one..?

While scrolling through CKAN I found these mods that seemed to offer clouds and other visual enhancements, but they seemed to be incompatible. Maybe it was the Astronomer's pack?

While scrolling through CKAN I found these mods that seemed to offer clouds and other visual enhancements, but they seemed to be incompatible. Maybe it was the Astronomer's pack?

Try EVE mod it you want clouds, its pretty easy on memory too

Try Near Future Propulsion,Near Future Electrical, and Near Future Solar. I call this the near future essentials pack, if you want to build futuristic crafts.

Are the parts especially taxing on RAM? There are lots of mods out there that I would be using if not for the RAM footprint.

I wouldn't want to play without KER, Kerbal Alarmclock and ScienceAlert anymore.

For actual content look at RoverDude's USI mods. They create real end game goals - building bases with complex production chains. Train the Kerbals and put them to use in these stations, create your own little economy as an alternative way for making credits etc. I think, now it's even possible to build crafts in these stations and outposts?

Collision FX, adds a lot more than you'd think it does: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101496-1-0-x-Collision-FX-v3-2-%282015-05-14%29-Now-with-EVA-kerbal-sound-effects!

Distant Object Enhancement, makes planets and ships visible from waaay far away, letting you see things like Jool from Kerbin orbit: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/403/Distant%20Object%20Enhancement%20bis

TextureReplacer, I would recommend getting a better skybox, makes everything soo much nicer: http://http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-2-TextureReplacer-2-4-4-%2817-5-2015%29-updated-for-1-0-legacyFemales-option

Started playing only recently and I'm a total newbie. Nonetheless on my MBP I'm quite happy with the followings:

- Active Texture Management

- Chatterer

- Contract Configurator

- Contract packs

-- Anomaly Surveyor Contract Pack

-- ScanSat Contract Pack

-- Remote Tech Contract Pack

- Environmental Visual Enhancements

- Kerbal Engineer

- KW Rocketry

- Hot Rockets

- Remote Tech

- ScanSat

- Science Alert (just installed, not yet tested)

- Kerbal Alarm Clock

I'll just say to bookmark this on your browser: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76972-0-90-KSPRC-Renaissance-Compilation-artworks-remake-V-0-2-%2818-04-15%29

Im waiting for the 1.0.2(3?) update

Chatter

Distant Object Enhancer (I love seeing the planets)

KAS + KIS

Kerbal Engineer Redux

DockingAlignmentIndicator

Science Alert

Tweakscale

I consider all these essential.

Basically this. I'd skip chatterer and DAI, I think it plays just fine without 'em, but the rest are solid. I'll also throw in:

EditorExtensions - Must have

QuickScroll - Small, HUGE quality of life.

QuickContracts - See above

TempGaugeKiller, StockBugFixes, etc. - Small but you gotta have 'em

I just did a fresh install as a result of too many mods. I always end up installing a ton of mods,

but the majority of the mods never get any use and simply clutter up the catalog unnecessarily.

If I had to narrow down mod choice to a list of around 15, which ones would be considered most essential?

Kerbal Joint Reenforcements (i find it essential !)

Kerbal Engineer Redux

A rocket engine/tank mod (KW or Modular Rocket Systems or Nove Punch or others that i don't know) for the nice shiney slender rockets that make you hesitate half a second before pressing spacebar for staging ...

... for going interplanetary:

Precise Node and a Launch Window Calculator

I just fell the same decision and that's my base for a new career.

:-)

k

- - - Updated - - -

Kerbal Joint Reenforcements (i find it essential !)

Kerbal Engineer Redux

A rocket engine/tank mod (KW or Modular Rocket Systems or Nove Punch or others that i don't know) for the nice shiney slender rockets that make you hesitate half a second before pressing spacebar for staging ...

... for going interplanetary:

Precise Node and a Launch Window Calculator

I just fell the same decision and that's my base for a new career.

:-)

k

Edited by kemde

Lots of excellent recommendations so far. A few I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Filter Extensions (essential when playing with parts mods)

Engine Lighting (adds bright lights to running engines for those night launches)

Ven's Stock Revamp (high quality remakes of stock parts with a few new ones to fill in holes in the stock lineup)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.