[1.0.2] Kerbal Launch Failure v1.0.0 (5/29/2015)

stevehead

how does this mod track launches? Does it work with the KSP revert feature? Will it only update its launch count if the launch is successful?

probably best to turn the revert feature off if you use this mod

• 1 month later...

My post from my other mod that I have worked on...

I'll get back to working on this plugin in the near future. My mother had been ill the past several months and just recently passed, so I've been dealing with all of that. I'm also waiting for the 1.1 update.

When 1.1 comes, I'll look into more organic explosions using part heating than forcing the explosions, and implement some suggestions. I hate that I had left a number of people in the dark with the mod, but I had no time to work on it.

• 2 months later...
Can this mod be used in a way to give certain engines more failure than others? I know testflgiht does this , but testflight does not offer launchpad explosions.

What is [I]propagationChanceDecreases = False[/I]

and

[I]failurePropagateProbability = 0.7[/I]

?? Edited by lextacy

[quote name='CatastrophicFailure']Patiently waiting (and subbing) till this great sounding mod gets moving again. Was there ever any word on 1.0.4 compatibility?[/QUOTE]

I would really like to get back to this mod. Sooner rather than later I'd say. But the next couple of weeks are going to be insanely busy for me (working full time in a retail environment + black friday + going back to school + exam next week). I'll try to verify compatibility at the least today or tomorrow.

[quote name='lextacy']Can this mod be used in a way to give certain engines more failure than others? I know testflgiht does this , but testflight does not offer launchpad explosions.

What is [I]propagationChanceDecreases = False[/I]

and

[I]failurePropagateProbability = 0.7[/I]

??[/QUOTE]

There is currently no way to increase or decrease failure rates for individual engines. I was thinking about for science/career modes to increase reliability the further you progress into the tech tree.

The GitHub readme has details on what each setting does. Here's the link: [URL]https://github.com/stevehead/ksp-KerbalLaunchFailure#custom-settings[/URL]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For any/all interested, I have this working for 1.2, and will release it in a week or so.  I want to add a couple of small things to it before releasing

I'm adding the following:

autoAbortDelay    A time delay between the failure and the abort sequence being triggered, only if autoAbort = true

preFailureAlarm     An alarm will go off the specified number of seconds before the failure

I also want to get a UI so that config files don't need to be edited.

Am open to other suggestions

Im in a 1.1.3 career, so I haven't tried it yet, but some suggestions for the future. (Not demands. Respect to the modders.)

A nice future feature, would be auto-shutdown attempts (random delay so they won't always be in time), but in career, the function is unlocked in the tech-tree (like throttle controlled avionics and mechjeb). Early career, all failures are explosive. As you progress, you get auto-abort, auto-shutdowns, alarms that sound when a problem _might_ happen.

Another nice feature, would be that failures aren't always explosive, but maybe an engine or SRB fails to start, or there is an over/under thrust.

An idea for lots of randomness:

1. check how long since the last failure
  2. check if there will be a failure this time
  3. What is going to fail (rocket engine, jet engine, SRB, control surface) Maybe only jet and controls if a rocket engine is also present.
  4. How bad? (outright explosion, overheat, over/under thrust, reduced control authority or stuck, maybe a radial decoupler comes loose)
  5. How fast? A gradual overheat, over/under thrust, loss of control?
  6. If it isn't an instant failure, each second there is a chance it will be detected (alarm, auto-shutdown, auto-abort, etc)
  7. Then to make things interesting, there is a small chance everything is ok, or mostly ok (only a mild version of the failure) So an alarm doesnt always require an abort.
  8. A small chance that something else can go wrong during the ascent. Maybe you ignored the auto-shutdown of an engine in a cluster and pushed on, but several seconds later another fails.

I was thinking of trying my hand at KSP coding (hobbyist, not professional), maybe I will help out in the future. No promises.

6 minutes ago, LabRats said:

Im in a 1.1.3 career, so I haven't tried it yet, but some suggestions for the future. (Not demands. Respect to the modders.)

Just chiming in to say, I second this! That is exactly the launch challenge mod I've always wanted, where things like LES's and engine-out tolerance become important, but without DangIt's constant gotchas. (A completely failed launch is easier to redo than being halfway to anywhere)

20 minutes ago, LabRats said:

A nice future feature, would be auto-shutdown attempts (random delay so they won't always be in time), but in career, the function is unlocked in the tech-tree (like throttle controlled avionics and mechjeb). Early career, all failures are explosive. As you progress, you get auto-abort, auto-shutdowns, alarms that sound when a problem _might_ happen.

Another nice feature, would be that failures aren't always explosive, but maybe an engine or SRB fails to start, or there is an over/under thrust.

An idea for lots of randomness:

1. check how long since the last failure
  2. check if there will be a failure this time
  3. What is going to fail (rocket engine, jet engine, SRB, control surface) Maybe only jet and controls if a rocket engine is also present.
  4. How bad? (outright explosion, overheat, over/under thrust, reduced control authority or stuck, maybe a radial decoupler comes loose)
  5. How fast? A gradual overheat, over/under thrust, loss of control?
  6. If it isn't an instant failure, each second there is a chance it will be detected (alarm, auto-shutdown, auto-abort, etc)
  7. Then to make things interesting, there is a small chance everything is ok, or mostly ok (only a mild version of the failure) So an alarm doesnt always require an abort.
  8. A small chance that something else can go wrong during the ascent. Maybe you ignored the auto-shutdown of an engine in a cluster and pushed on, but several seconds later another fails.

I was thinking of trying my hand at KSP coding (hobbyist, not professional), maybe I will help out in the future. No promises.

Interesting ideas, let me address them:

1 & 2:  Currently there is a base chance for a failure, of 2% every launch.  It checks the odds every launch, and 2% of the time, there will be a failure

3.  It currently selects one of the active engines, be it rocket, SRB or jet.  
The control surface is a nice idea, and easily doable

4. Currently, it works by causing an overthrust condition combined with an overheat condition, which then causes an explosion

Reduced control authority.  Not so easy to do.
Radial decoupler comes loose.  Not too difficult
Underthrust.  I'll have to see, but offhand, not so easy

5. It's already doing an overthrust/overheat, fairly quickly, but with enough time for a player to be able to respond and cut the engine.  I'll think about this

6.  I'm not going to have anything insta-fail.  That being said, you have an interesting idea here

7.  Don't think so.  This isn't an rpg :-)

8.  No.  Only relevant if #7 is done, and I'm not going to do that

55 minutes ago, LabRats said:

This....is interesting.  I hadn't thought about adding a career element to it.

14 hours ago, Tortoise said:

Fix your github link please, Kerbalstuff is down right now. Is this working on 1.1.3?

Kerbalstuff has been down for months.

The github link is still good

The author, @stevehead, hasn't been around since May 7.

I'm working on a 1.2 revival, but it isn't ready yet.  When it is, I'll start a new thread for it

This is from the old Kerbalstuff archive, I have no idea whether it works for 1.1.3, it was uploaded on May 27

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzid7e3pW1k7dThfV21TTzBzUm8/view?usp=sharing

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'd rather see it related to crew experience rather than the tech tree. What do you think? Or could it be related to both?

On 6.10.2016 at 10:27 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I can probably do it either or both ways, but, related to career, I would have to have a part which can then be unlocked in career.

I'm not a modeler, would someone be interested in making a part for me? 

I saw you got it up and running on spacedock. I'm curious about that "part" you mentionend here. Will there be a new thread or did I just googel wrong?

Cheers and thanks for taking over this awsome little mod.

Just now, maculator said:

I saw you got it up and running on spacedock. I'm curious about that "part" you mentionend here. Will there be a new thread or did I just googel wrong?

Cheers and thanks for taking over this awsome little mod.

Eventually there will be a new thread.

I don't have that part yet, no one's stepped up to make it for me (I'm not a modeler)