FPS steady at 25 if looking at water

I have a problem with the frame rate if there is even a bit of ocean on the screen.

Under "performance" in the alt+f12 screen i have then a flat line on 25 fps , the mission time is always in yellow and the game "lags" . CPU usage is on 1-5% , RAM at around 3.2gb

As soon as no water is on the monitor (so looking up into the sky) the frames go up to 90-120.

Settings:

UI_SIZE = 768
UI_OPACITY = 0.5
SHIP_VOLUME = 0.5
AMBIENCE_VOLUME = 0.5
MUSIC_VOLUME = 0.35
UI_VOLUME = 0.5
VOICE_VOLUME = 0.5
SOUND_NORMALIZER_ENABLED = True
SOUND_NORMALIZER_THRESHOLD = 1
SOUND_NORMALIZER_RESPONSIVENESS = 16
SOUND_NORMALIZER_SKIPSAMPLES = 0
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = 1920
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = 1080
FULLSCREEN = True
QUALITY_PRESET = 5
ANTI_ALIASING = 2
TEXTURE_QUALITY = 0
SYNC_VBL = 0
LIGHT_QUALITY = 8
SHADOWS_QUALITY = 4
FRAMERATE_LIMIT = 120
FALLBACK_PART_SHADERS = False
PLANET_FORCE_SHADER_MODEL_2_0 = False
PLANET_SCATTER = False
PLANET_SCATTER_FACTOR = 0.5
AERO_FX_QUALITY = 3
SURFACE_FX = True
EDGE_HIGHLIGHTING_PPFX = True

System:

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8)

RAM: 12280

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (1010MB)

Starting game with -force -opengl

Mods:

Toolbar

ATM

BoxSat

Chatterer

Kerbinside

KSO

KWRocketry

RealChute

Remote Tech

Scansat

Shipmanifest

StageRecovery

TweakScale

Edited by Ringkeeper
partial solved

Oceans are a known GPU killer - have a hunt around the 'net, there's a bunch of settings floating about under the heading of "KSP performace fix" that (apparently) improve this. IIRC the setting in question is 'max subdivisions' or something to that effect.

Also worth noting, Kerbinside absolutely murders my framerate... YMMV, but I get a fixed 32.2 FPS (down from ~55) whenever looking at Kerbinside structures.

My guess is that it's something to do with the games OpenGL renderer, as I dont recall issues with DX on Winblows, long ago as it was I last used it.

Edited by steve_v

Just a small info the fps counter in the debug window is reporting a much higher min frame rate than it actually is. This "min" frame rate depends on the "Max Physics Delta-Time per frame", unless you are running it on the highest setting. So the actual slowdown is most likely much much higher. At 25 min fps your "Max Physics Delta-Time per frame" setting is at 0.04 and 33.3 min fps is at 0.03. :)

Edited by SpaceTiger

Oceans are a known GPU killer - have a hunt around the 'net, there's a bunch of settings floating about under the heading of "KSP performace fix" that (apparently) improve this. IIRC the setting in question is 'max subdivisions' or something to that effect.

Also worth noting, Kerbinside absolutely murders my framerate... YMMV, but I get a fixed 32.2 FPS (down from ~55) whenever looking at Kerbinside structures.

My guess is that it's something to do with the games OpenGL renderer, as I dont recall issues with DX on Winblows, long ago as it was I last used it.

This is indeed what the problem is. For some reason it affects some people more than others. I don't get a noticable drop myself, but have heard plenty of tales of it elsewhere.

ok.. did some of the tips . Its now WAY better then before, no more lag/physic problem.

I deactivated the one Shader (Name atm not in mind, top one) and set in the config the distance lower. Now i have 50fps and no lags. And still the rest looks nice.

can't check atm ingame. There is one shader option top left in the settings, that one i deactivated.

and in the settings.cfg i changed for the presets

PLANET
{
name = KerbinOcean
minDistance = 3
minSubdivision = 1
maxSubdivision = 6
}

MinDistance was 4?5? before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.