Multiple Staging Functions?

Is it possible to have one part with multiple staging functions? Specifically, can I have a part that has an integrated Solid Rocket Engine AND a Decoupler?

Yes, but they will stage simultaneously. The part will show in the staging list only once.

As an example, my radial decouplers in SpaceY do exactly that-- Decoupler + mini-SRBs, for a thrust-based ejection, rather than relying on the ejection force.

You can, however, disable staging for one of the modules. Like you could have a retro ring that has an engine that fires on stage, but a decoupler that only activates when the right-click menu (or action group) is used.

The opposite approach is often used by LES towers: both decoupler and engine activate on stage, but for the abort action group you can assign only the engine.

You can, however, disable staging for one of the modules. Like you could have a retro ring that has an engine that fires on stage, but a decoupler that only activates when the right-click menu (or action group) is used.

That should work. I'm actually making a retro ring. Do you happen to know how to disable a module from staging? I took a look at the CFG documentation on the wiki, but didn't see anything.

• 2 weeks later...
That should work. I'm actually making a retro ring. Do you happen to know how to disable a module from staging? I took a look at the CFG documentation on the wiki, but didn't see anything.

It is only possible to disable specific modules from staging; most specifically the decoupler.

It has a field called 'staged' in the config that will determine if the staging action will activate the decoupler or not. So, in your moduledecoupler, add the line 'staged=false' to omit the decoupler from staging action. I have not yet tried this to see how well it works (looking at the source, it -should- work) or if it removes the decoupler staging icon (probably does not). I'm still looking for similar flags with engines and parachutes, but not finding much yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.