The Racing Thread

Endersmens

What is your favorite type of Racing?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite type of Racing?

• Formula Racing
    • Touring Car Racing
    • Sports Car Racing
    • Production Car Racing
    • One Make Racing
    • Stock Car Racing (NASCAR)
    • Rally Racing
    • Drag Racing
    • Off Road Racing
    • Kart Racing

This thread is to discuss you favorite form of racing, your favorite Driver/Drivers, your favorite type of car, or anything else associated with racing. I was only able to add 10 options to the Poll, so if you have a favorite type of racing that is not on the poll, post on here! Feel free to give reasons why you like certain racing types or cars and such.

Rules

1. Do not bash/insult fans of different types of racing or drivers than you. This is an opinion.

2. Do not insult types of racing or drivers.

3. Please no fighting

I'll start us off. I love Formula 1 Racing and Stock car racing (NASCAR) and a few of my favorite drivers would be: Jeff Gordon, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Martin Truex Jr.

As for watching, I hate any racing. I just find it too boring for me. :P

You must be watching the wrong races! A lot of sports can be boring, you just have to pick the right times and places.

Used to watch NASCAR religiously. Then Earnhardt died and while he wasn't my favorite driver at the time, it just made me lose interest in watching. Drove for a bit then life happened. Found iRacing and it reignited my redneck once again.

This thread is to discuss you favorite form of racing, your favorite Driver/Drivers, your favorite type of car, or anything else associated with racing.

My favorite type of racing isn't listed, sadly. I enjoy one-design racing. My favorite driver? Not sure I have one but Marc Guillemot is a pretty classy guy and deserving of his promotion to chevalier de l'Ordre national du Mérite, one of France's highest honors for his sportsmanship and sacrifice in the 2008-2009 Vendee Globe. My favorite car? The Mclaren P1 is impressive. ;)

Edited by PakledHostage

I love racing. I have been going to the Indy 500 for the last 5 years. Nothing like it. Also have been to Talledega a couple of times, F1 at Indy once, Kentucky Speedway for Indy cars, trucks nascars, etc. Also went to the Rolex 24 at Daytona the last 2 years. The bucket list for me contains a trip to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Nurburgring, and Spa in Belgium.

Of all the races I have been to, NHRA drag racing is the most impressive to me. Nothing can compare to 10,000 horsepower x2 at the start of a top fuel dragster or funny car race! It rattles your guts and teeth!

I've never actually been to one, but from the vids I've seen I'd have to say Trailer and Train racing are my favorites. They're the closest thing to Kerbal racing that I've ever seen, and it's funny as hell.

Trailer:

Train:

My favorite type of racing isn't listed, sadly. I enjoy one-design racing. My favorite driver? Not sure I have one but Marc Guillemot is a pretty classy guy and deserving of his promotion to chevalier de l'Ordre national du Mérite, one of France's highest honors for his sportsmanship and sacrifice in the 2008-2009 Vendee Globe. My favorite car? The Mclaren P1 is impressive. ;)

One Design is pretty close to one make racing, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, the Mclaren P1 is very impressive. :D

I mostly follow F1, although it's been quite boring the past few years due to all the stupid rules and regulations... Screw safety and eco-friendliness, bring back the 1000hp V12/V10 monsters from the 90's and 00's!

V8 Supercars and Le Mans are kinda interesting too.

E: A video with more racing in it:

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

Me in my Mustang GT at Pocono's "Mega configuration"

https://youtu.be/6TFh_Ay1bNA

Funnest track I've ever been too. Best just go mute the sound. I was dumb and put the gopro on the outside of the car.

Wow! nice driving! Saw lots of nailed apexes in there, good job! Also, way to keep your cool with a car spinning out in front of you!

When I get my car (not my first car, my first car is a placeholder to get me to work until I can get my real car :P ) I plan on taking it to the track as much as I can, I really love racing. I'm jealous of you!

Thanks a bunch. My father and I have been building the car for years and its been nothing but a dream. Car couldnt run better or be less maintenance ( which is the surprising part ). Honestly though... that wasnt a race. A simple track day so i was able to watch myself and go around him safely. If it was a race, well.. lol. Thats nothing though ive seen some really nasty wrecks right in front of me like that. Had a BMW go end over end once at my local track ( New Jersey Motorsports Park ). Had a guys breaks explode in front of me and he went hard right into a wall. Had a Corvette careen out of control in front of me after a front rim snapped under heavy breaking. So if i had to give advice from those experiecnces. Dont go off the track sideways at speed, avoid drilled brake rotars like the plague. And dont buy rims that are too light. After that your on your own, lol.

Me? Havent gone off the track once :P Keeps me on my toes, lol. So whats your local track if any down there in "Teleporting Across the Forums.....*poof*"?

Edited by Motokid600

Me in my Mustang GT at Pocono's "Mega configuration"

https://youtu.be/6TFh_Ay1bNA

Funnest track I've ever been too. Best just go mute the sound. I was dumb and put the gopro on the outside of the car.

That looks like a lot of fun. That layout looks great! I have raced that Pocono with the infield in sims, bit that version is different. I also did a track weekend at Putnam Park in my friends' Boxster. It was one of the best times of my life. I ended up doing about 65 laps over 2 days. Just pure fun!! Here is a lap, I forgot to start the microphone so no sound.

Top Gear inspired a love of racing in me, especially for off-road or rally racing. Never had the chance to race in real life, but I'm planning to one day.

For a while I would play on keyboard, then when that wasn't good enough, I plugged in a joystick and drove with that. Once that got old, I saved up for a few months and bought a racing wheel, and love it.

Latest game I've been racing in is GTA 5, weird as that may seem. It's actually a lot of fun - having a giant HD world to free roam and make races in is pretty nice.

That looks like a lot of fun. That layout looks great! I have raced that Pocono with the infield in sims, bit that version is different. I also did a track weekend at Putnam Park in my friends' Boxster. It was one of the best times of my life. I ended up doing about 65 laps over 2 days. Just pure fun!! Here is a lap, I forgot to start the microphone so no sound.

Thats really cool how they added the HUD in there...it almost looks like a video game! :sticktongue:

-snip-

Me? Havent gone off the track once :P Keeps me on my toes, lol. So whats your local track if any down there in "Teleporting Across the Forums.....*poof*"?

My local road track would be Bluegrass Motorsports Park, while my local Super Speedway would be Kentucky Speedway

I haven't been to either one, but I plan on attending a NASCAR Event soon, and when I finally get my car, take it down to bluegrass and give it a run. :)

F1 and the Isle of Man TT. The latter is super exciting. The racers push everything out of their motorbikes, as they were on the race track. But on the TT, they do this on the local road network. The fastest racers complete the race with 200 km/h (~124 mph) + average speed. Accidents, and even deaths are not uncommon, as this is probably one of the most difficult races in the world.

Edited by jmiki8

Where's steam train racing?

(or, you know, something real like this:)

The HypeTrain may or may not be getting a hot-rod overhaul once the boiler is dragged out of the nearly bottomless lake.

Actually, this gives me an idea about semi-professional small-scale model steam engine racing. Pitting the fastest scaled down live-steam trains against each other on a race railway-track, with several design challenges to get through and even an endgame where the locomotive designer doesn't get to know what the final challenge is. I'm talking small scale, like 0 or G scale, not Narrow or Standard Gauge.

Edited by GregroxMun

For me I like rally, off-road, drag racing, and nascar. As for drivers my favorites are tony Schumacher, the force family, dale Earnhardt jr. I guess the fancy for me in these cars is the cars themselves with my favorites being the Subarus for rally, then if I remeber correctly is called the west coast or Orange County (can't remeber) chopper Chevy Stuka, and the top fuel dragsters and any big V-8 bohemeth like cudas, and the novas for drag, and the Chevys for nascar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.