All planets and moon in one go

Dear all,

I believe it possible to launch one ship from kerbal and then land a kerbal on all planets and moon and retrieve them.

So here is my challenge.

special notice for those who do it in a STTO way, maining one ship all the time with no part lost

for easy.

build only single ship that can leave kerbal sphere of influence that can:

a) get back all kerbals on board at any stage suavely back to kerbal

B) can put a kerbal on all planets and moons except for Eve and Tylo

c) doesn't use any advanced mods with futuristic drives or the like.

d) no cheating

for medium.

build only single ship that can leave kerbal sphere of influence that can:

B) can put a kerbal on all planets and moons.

d) no cheating

for hard

build only single ship that can leave kerbal ad launch pad that can:

a) get back all kerbals on board at any stage safely back to kerbal

d) no cheating

for extra hard

build only single ship that can leave kerbal ad launch pad that can:

c) uses TAC live support and may use USI kolonization system, kerbal engineer and the like, kerbal joint reinforcement and the like and mods that don't do anything to the game play.

d) no cheating

Special notice for those who do it in a STTO way, maining one ship all the way, all the time with no part lost.( I expect some serious problem with eve here but prove me wrong)

I would like some comments on this as this is the first challenge I propose. (I would like something like eve rock or Jool five awards for this). I made this so every one can get a real challange and enjoyment from rocketeers, to space gods

explanation;

futuristic mods are:

kerbal engineer and the like are:

kerbal engineer, trajectories, precise node, mechjeb

but not

kerbal joint reinforcement and the like are:

kerbal joint reinforcement, quantum struts, welding

but not

procedural fairings, procedural wings

No cheating;

it should be obvious to most but no kraken drive, no infinity glider, no infinity fuel, no hyper editing.

but saves are allowed

difficulty setting: 100% reentry heat for all. the rest is not really applicable.

Edited by g.koster

Doing both Eve and Tylo in a single flight would mean you'll have to land and launch a craft from one so large that what finally reaches orbit has to be capable of landing and launching on the other. Returning from Eve or Tylo itself is hard enough. Doing both in a single launch is nearly impossible.

If you proof this can be done others might be persuaded to complete the entire challenge.

Getting a flag-planter to all planets and moons, is not so hard.

Getting them back is the problem.

For Tylo, you need something similar to a normal Kerbin launcher.

For eve, you need something built like Chuck Norris on Steroids.

To do both, and all the other easier bits???

I think your rocket might out-mass Kerbin itself.

Good grief, even the subset challenge of "Launch a single rocket from Kerbin, land on Eve and return to Kerbin" is right on the cutting edge between MagnificentlyHeroic and Abso-Im-Posso-Lutely.

Edited by MarvinKitFox

I don't think it's possible to make a single ship that can land on all the planets and moons.

I think it is possible to make single launch mission that puts a single kerbal on each planet and moon and return him safely to kerbin. (I almost pulled it off in 0.90)

It would require a big interplanetary transfer stage with nuclear engines and a BIG lander to go to eve, the top of the eve lander should then become the lander for the other planets and moons and refuel from the transfer stage.

Edit:

Never mind, it is very possible with the new mining facilities.

I was thinking to much about my 0.90 attempt of the same thing :).

NO I'haven't tryed it jet my self. But I want to try it. But first i need for my self to have an idee what is needed.

I'm not saying that the craft has to go completely up and down I expect that Tylo and Eve can only be done in a lunar mission way getting a lander down and up when the main craft stays up.

All I stated that the craft should leave kerbin influence as one. I hadn't thought that doing the other planets and moons STTO way could be done. This could be an other interesting challange. probably with difficulty putting in eve and tylo. I could put a spacial notation on this challange for using STTO.

Maybe like a giant central core of this ship to process fuel be the hub of docking ports. Radially are 2 landers, both re-usable, and possibly with small ore containers. Inline could be 1 or 2 specially designed landers for high-gravity places. I think I could whip up something like that, but it'd take days of designing.

I did something like that in 1.0.2

played with a low modded game (mechjeb, procedural fairings, kerbal joint reinforcement, deadly reentry and a few others - mechjeb for executing maneuver nodes, because I don't like to sit for half an hour in front of my computer and watch the nuclear engines to perform burns, it becomes tedious).

and I thought, that could be a nice challenge.

so far I have visited (swingby) every body except mün, ike and eeloo.

requirement:

start in an edited science sandbox, with a fully unlocked techtree (search the persistent.cfg for sci = 0 or so, edit science points in, unlock the techtree, remove the science points). this way, the system tracks every accomplished location just by sending science data back home. and start within the first hour of the new kerbal-game (maybe someone can provide a modified persistent.cfg).

easy: visit every sphere of influence in the kerbol-system.

medium: throw a probe on every body and SOFTLAND it (even on jool), and have at least one kerbal on the ship with a life support mod, and bring the kerbal(s) back to kerbin

hard: medium + try to land the kerbal on as many objects as possible.

prohibited: splitting the craft for visiting different destinations at the same time.

prohibited: dive with an unfocussed vessel into an atmosphere, because ksp just calculates the atmospheric effects on focussed vessels.

allowed: splitting the craft for leaving something behind, either for jettisoning or for parking something.

allowed: detaching a probe outside of a planets sphere of influence, if it would land on the planet with small or without any course corrections (for example swingby at eve plus deploying an atmosphere probe).

scoring: try to do it as quick as possible. faster is better.

this requires some serious thoughts about the order in that quest, which moons are good for refuelling, when is refuelling better than a simple swingby, and so on.

required mods:

one life support mod, TAC-LS or the usi-lifesupport mod.

prohibited mods:

mods which give orbital fuel harvesting (means karbonite) (yet, mining asteroids is okay, because they are essencially celestial bodies on their own).

mods which give very high ISP engines (for example near future propulsion ion engines... but the tanks are okay).

mods which allow the production of xenon.

a second scoring could be done by bringing as many science points back to kerbin as possible, either by sending them or by returning them with the spaceship.

So if I am allowed to mine ore in between this sounds very easy, then I just need a ship capable of doing a SSTO from the most difficult planet.

No person EVER has SSTOed from Eve ore Tylo(Without glitches). so no, defenitly not 'Very Easy'. Give whackjob $20

and he might help you with it.:cool:

No person EVER has SSTOed from Eve ore Tylo(Without glitches). so no, defenitly not 'Very Easy'. Give whackjob $20

I can imagine, that with a sufficiently big staged rocket with enough juice to reach Minmus while just using the first stage. it should have at least one lander capable for tylo, and the whole thing should make it to minmus. refuel it there, fly to eve, detach the tylo lander, land on eve on a fuel hotspot, refuel again. launch from eves surface in non-SSTO-mode, expending most stages. refuel again on gilly, visit moho, come back to gilly, refuel and pick up the tylo lander. and then work your way towards tylo.

With IRSU capabilities it might be possible, but you'll need a very, very large lander for Eve.

Depends how you roll it. As I read the rules, any old grand tour would fit the bill, and people have been doing that since time immemorial.

Look over in the gameplay section for a few examples of ISRU vessels that can go almost everywhere (Wanderfound's "Krokoduck" for example). Combine it with a standard Eve lander. Attach Laythe and Tylo modules as necessary. OP doesn't even demand a single lauch, so you can assemble the pieces in orbit.

It depends on what you hide under "SSTO" but technically any ship that would land from Tylo orbit and get to Tylo orbit again can qualify as a SSTO.

I used a low TWR SSTO in 0.9. It had to be trucked by a reusable tug from and to my Laythe space station for refuelling. It had 2 LVN, weighted 14T and had the full science package and 6050m/s of dV. With the nerf of LVN it would have to be tweaked.

As for Eve, I never tried, but this seems harder...

No person EVER has SSTOed from Eve ore Tylo(Without glitches).

SSTOing from Tylo is easy. Even single-stage landing-and-ascent. It's silly, but by no means impossible. But these days, you land empty and create the fuel for the return trip on the ground.

But as I said above, the OP doesn't demand an SSTO anywhere.This challenge is entirely doable. If it wasn't such a pie-eating contest, I'd do it myself.

I've got an SSTO that can land and and return from every moon of Jool, and in fact hangs out there as a refueling depo for passer by's, it's got its own built in mining capability (1.0.2) that it takes with it. It's big, but not obscene, and is sleek enough to handle the Laythe atmosphere. I bet that could land every body but Eve, and it's not such a stretch of the imagination to leave Eve for last and re-construct it into a hybrid SSTO/staged system that leaves everything behind on the final stop at Eve.

I could also imagine bringing out a mothership with a couple of landers, perhaps one for mining the smaller bodies such as Gilly, and another for landing & redocking. Perhaps you even bring enough equipment along to stage some pieces on both Tylo and Eve and SSTO the rest.

This is an interesting challenge, I'm quite confident that it *is* indeed possible. I may just take it up, it's no small order feat, but it would be a heck of a trip!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.