[1.2.1] TRP-Hire (formerly KSI Hiring)

TheReadPanda

CURRENT VERSION: 0.6.0

Updated as of 10.20.2016

The updated mod is now out of alpha and into beta - but since it actually works and the beta to release is mostly me getting the Mini-AVC, CKAN and layout tweaked a bit, I am releasing it now.

The mod can be downloaded here: http://spacedock.info/mod/777/TRP-Hire

The source code is here: https://github.com/TheReadPanda/PHS

This mod used to be formerly known as KSI-Hiring. It has changed since I used to be OakTree42 and am now TheReadPanda.

So right now it has the following features:

1. You can select the gender of your kerbal hires or make them random (male/female/random)

2. You can select the career of your kerbal.

3. You can select a number of kerbals to hire (1 to 10) but this is limited to what you can afford or what the Astronaut complex can hold in career mode.

4. You can set the kerbal Courage Stat (Higher is better!)

5. You can set the kerbal Stupidity Stat (Lower is better!)

6. You can set the kerbal Fearless attribute (On/Off - Game code calls this BadAss)

7. You can hire said kerbals with a hire button. If you are in career mode the various options you pick will change your cost.

8. In career mode you can hire level 0 kerbals without upgrading the complex, level 0&1 if you upgrade it once and 0, 1, and 2 if you have fully upgraded the complex. Note it costs more to hire more experienced kerbals.

9. If you are in career mode each kerbal that is MIA in a profession raises the cost of that profession by 5%. If you are in a mode that results in KIA each kerbal of that profession that is killed raises costs for that profession type by 10%.

Note the cost increases are cumulative, so two dead kerbals results in a 20% increase if they were both pilots. If you have a bunch of dead pilots but not a single dead scientist it should not effect the scientist costs.

And for now that is it.

Thanks to all those who helped me update this to 1.2. It was a bit of a slog but here we are!

Special shout out to Drakonite for help on my Twitch channel while we reworked this for 1.2!

Note we added functionality for the new 'noExp' mode in career as well!

updated as of 10/20/2016

Edited by TheReadPanda
Updated for 1.2.1

Awesome Oaktree! Ive been looking forward to this every since you talked about it on Twitch. Loaded it and and everything runs smoothly :)

Definitely a nice change for those of us who build large colony's. It got kinda ridiculous when hiring another kerbal would cost as much as the Colony you were putting down :P

Bug should be fixed. Files updated. Fixed a placeholder text field that was displaying when a kerbal was created as well, and moved this into the debug log instead.

If anyone sees any other new bugs please let me know! I will be checking back here a lot for a while.

:D

Hi oak,

I've just downloaded it and i'm going to test under DMP for you aswell.

But, in sandbox hireing large numbers of engineers is a royal pain, so i am very much looking forward to it.

Thank you so very much

Updated mod, added AVC and Mini-AVC, uploaded it to KerbalStuff:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/871/KSI%20-%20Placement%20Services

Current version: 0.1.1

Change log:

Added additional Debug Log messages

Streamlined some of the 'create a kerbal' code to remove redundant method calls.

Added a loop check to see how many kerbals had to be created behind the scenes to fit the requested career type. (Message should show in debug log).

Currently working on:

Fixing the appearance of the kerbals so they don't all like alike by gender.

Fixing the fact that accessing the Astronaut complex by the SPH and VAB bypasses my mod.

Ah, was just about to ask, how ... :D

Yes, it creates a kerbal, checks it against the profile requested, then if it doesn't match immediately removes it and tries again. It is designed to hopefully not leave any extra kerbals in memory.

Was tricky as I tried a lot of different ways but ended up having to use brute force or use crew roster method of overriding things and I really wanted to make it so that if you removed my mod nothing you made would change on you.

So while it is a bit 'brute force' it did work. And usually only takes a few 'loops' to get the right kerbal type.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice :)

RoverDude you and EPL were in part what inspired me because of the efficiency checks based on courage, stupidity and such.

I think/hope it is a nice addition to allow colonization with MKS/OKS. Without it hiring enough kerbals for a real colony was becoming almost impossible. This still costs money but is far more reasonable I think...

Updated mod, added AVC and Mini-AVC, uploaded it to KerbalStuff:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/871/KSI%20-%20Placement%20Services

Current version: 0.1.1

Change log:

Added additional Debug Log messages

Streamlined some of the 'create a kerbal' code to remove redundant method calls.

Added a loop check to see how many kerbals had to be created behind the scenes to fit the requested career type. (Message should show in debug log).

Currently working on:

Fixing the appearance of the kerbals so they don't all like alike by gender.

Fixing the fact that accessing the Astronaut complex by the SPH and VAB bypasses my mod.

Awesome, grabbing the latest version.

May wanna edit the OP to add a link to the KerbalStuff download. (for those folks who may be unfamiliar with downloading from Github)

Awesome, grabbing the latest version.

May wanna edit the OP to add a link to the KerbalStuff download. (for those folks who may be unfamiliar with downloading from Github)

Thanks for the heads up, link added to the first post in thread via edit.

Some suggestions after a great start (like this is going in my install for sure, especially if the below can happen)!

Any way to have a preview of what the name will be, or have a little control over it? - Would really like this - you have gold if you can do this.

Kind of think fearless should still be a hidden/surprise trait. - way it is now is not a big deal -

"Random" button so you can view a list of generated kerbals - somewhat like stock but possibly with wildcards. The more wildcards you allow the bigger the discount on hire. But it costs you some funds to send out the scout when you hit "random" so if you hire no-one you're still out those funds.

Looks interesting. Works nice, +1

Question is there a way in the roster to sort out the professions placing pilots, engineers and scientists together in the list?

Edited by Sochin

Some suggestions after a great start (like this is going in my install for sure, especially if the below can happen)!

Any way to have a preview of what the name will be, or have a little control over it? - Would really like this - you have gold if you can do this.

Kind of think fearless should still be a hidden/surprise trait. - way it is now is not a big deal -

"Random" button so you can view a list of generated kerbals - somewhat like stock but possibly with wildcards. The more wildcards you allow the bigger the discount on hire. But it costs you some funds to send out the scout when you hit "random" so if you hire no-one you're still out those funds.

Right now the kerbal name is tied to the career so there is no way to let the player 'choose' the name. I'll see if I can think of something here though. What about a system where you hit a button and it pulls up three kerbals with stats /near/ what you requested? So you can pick from say three (each name shown along with stats). So you don't get the exact stats you want but you get a range of things near your desired stats?

I can also see the fearless trait being random again, not just a yes/no but I do think that you should be able to see it if it will effect some mods... as it does in some efficiency math.

I'll see what I can think up, but with streaming it may be a week or two until I can nail down that kind of change.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks interesting. Works nice, +1

Question is there a way in the roster to sort out the professions placing pilots, engineers and scientists together in the list?

There might be, in fact I am sure there is, but it would involve over-writting the right hand side of the astronaut complex, something I do not do at this time.

If I were to do this I might overwrite the entire center and redo the entire interface from scratch, but I'm afraid that is a bigger project than I want to take on at this moment, if just because Squad has indicated they are making some serious UI changes as they shift to Unity 5.0 and I kind of would like to wait and see what those UI changes are first as it may mean redoing everything from scratch at least UI side (Even what I have done already potentially).

So I think that might be a neat thing, able to organize by various means, such as who is in what SOI or the like. I would like to add a 'training' area as well, where you can train up kerbals rather than just hiring them fully trained. But again, want to wait until I see what is coming down the pipe with the UI changes in the shift to Unity 5.0....

Kottabos review - : https://youtu.be/Zqlu4Skc7NI

EDIT : add do a trainging option where the kerbal goes out for like : 1 mth? And then returns with a level upgrade.

REQUEST : compat with KAC for the above reason /\

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this Oaktree, I saw it on Twitch and now it´s already here. Looking forward to testing it :)

Is the fearless attribute the badass trait?

Yes

(Blmae 5 chars!)

Edited by Joshwoo69

Okay I like this mod a lot but I am very confused, with stupidity it lowers the cost but isn't the higher that stat better for mods like Rover dudes? I took two kerbals one with a very low stat (the higher cost low stupid amount) and a high stat (lower cost high stupid) and the productivity was better with higher stupidity. Can someone help clear this up, I don't want to spend a ton of funds on the incorrect option and have low productivity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.