[1.2.1] TRP-Hire (formerly KSI Hiring)

TheReadPanda

18 hours ago, TheReadPanda said:

I still would like to add a few more features but... for now I wanted to get this fixed version up asap.

Glad you guys like it.

The biggest request I've gotten is to be able to name your own kerbals in creation, which I can do, just need to work it up in to the UI etc.

But any other big requests? (And random career/random stats is kinda a no go cause random stats mess with the cost too much in career etc)

I haven't checked this in 1.2 yet, but I was noticing a couple of mods out there that define new occupations for Kerbals, since you can define that in MM patches now.  (Notably Colonists who are low-level generalists: Can pilot, repair, and refit a rover, but can't do more advanced skills from any tree.)  So a request would be to support careers as defined in the current install, if that's possible.)

On 10/21/2016 at 6:00 PM, Mechtech said:

support for Sandbox and Science experience now that it's actually supported in stock would be nice. but otherwise, other than the naming bit, this is a pretty mature plugin that does exactly what most people DL it for.

I didn't realize the 'kerbal xp' thing was two way. I shall have to look into this. If that is how it works I can probably make this work but... I'd have to think on how to best update the interface for it.

Also I will explore if/how I can add other career types, if there is a way to add them dynamically based on what people have enabled for example or if I have to build a variant that internally tests for each one.

If you could shed some (technical) light on how adding random stats/traits messes with the cost in career mode. I have some ideas on how this might be implemented, and just curious if it might be possible.

Not sure if this would be a good idea or not. But I believe the "veteran" flag is now settable, I know it is in the persistent file, but haven't looked at the CrewRoster code yet. Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2016 at 10:54 AM, Red3Tango said:

If you could shed some (technical) light on how adding random stats/traits messes with the cost in career mode. I have some ideas on how this might be implemented, and just curious if it might be possible.

Not sure if this would be a good idea or not. But I believe the "veteran" flag is now settable, I know it is in the persistent file, but haven't looked at the CrewRoster code yet. Just an idea.

So if we do a random career the cost modifier based on the missing or dead kerbals of that career type can change the price, as can the traits which directly change the price. So... career, random and suddenly you have no idea how much the kerbal will cost? This is the issue. If I made a 'generate a kerbal and let you hire or not' function you could just keep doing that until you got the kerbal you liked so that is pretty much the same as picking the stats.

The one option would be to give a set cost if it was 'random' giving you a chance to get a 'bargain' but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of this mod in some ways. You could just use stock and deal with the random kerbals provided as possible hires in that case? Not sure. In any case the UI is a big kluggie at this point anyway, and if I were to change that I'd probably have to go in and gut the system and rebuild it to be more efficient! :) 

If you have ideas you can at least look at the source code, free on git hub. I probably should make Veteran a possible flag.

I also would like to do a test for other mods and add the ability to hire things if other mods add them, but not sure how to do that yet. I hear at least one mod adds colonists after all!

Ok I was thinking that might be the case, I think my idea (having an array store the randomized values) might work, but didn't think about the ways it could be exploited. Given the time, I may still try something, but does sound a lot more complex then I originally thought.

Being able to name the Kerbal, that would be really nice, everything else would just be more icing on the cake! Either way, this is staying a permanent part of my mod list.

@TheReadPanda, does you maintain your own metadata files for CKAN, or it is handled by CKAN staff members ?
Somehow, it is equaly bad to ask in CKAN thread as they already working hard to put everything in order with other mods.

On CKAN mod list there is listed former mod name "Kerbal Science Institute Hiring" with max KSP version 1.0.9.

Perhaps all that mod name change and version numbers confuses CKAN bot, so it can't pick up changes. I appologize if you don't maintain files needed for AVC and CKAN.

On 11/18/2016 at 9:40 AM, kcs123 said:

@TheReadPanda, does you maintain your own metadata files for CKAN, or it is handled by CKAN staff members ?
Somehow, it is equaly bad to ask in CKAN thread as they already working hard to put everything in order with other mods.

On CKAN mod list there is listed former mod name "Kerbal Science Institute Hiring" with max KSP version 1.0.9.

Perhaps all that mod name change and version numbers confuses CKAN bot, so it can't pick up changes. I appologize if you don't maintain files needed for AVC and CKAN.

That version is actually the old version. I never took the steps to make the newest version on CKAN. I would like to fix a few more bugs then fix the AVC documentation/files.

I am unsure if I will ever put it back on CKAN. Was a lot simpler to do so when I was using kerbalstuff if I recall.

Also just got stable internet back (I hope) so maybe I can start making the tweaks to this mod this week and then once done we can see about AVC and potentially CKAN.

But the simple answer to your question is: The version on CKAN is the old version under the old name and is not compatible with anything newer than that ksp version. Sorry. But you can find the 'up to date' version through the link on the front of this thread on spacedock.info (I believe it is mod number 777!): http://spacedock.info/mod/777/TRP-Hire

For the record I have tested it with 1.2.1 and while it works there are some graphics glitches I want to fix which is in part what I was saying above in this thread. So works but there are some graphical artifacts when you hire. (but it works)

Okay, babbling now, hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for info. When you update mod properly for KSP 1.2.1., is it OK from your side to notify CKAN staff members for proper metadata file updates ?
If you don't have time and willpower to maintain metadata files for CKAN.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2016 at 6:50 PM, kcs123 said:

Thanks for info. When you update mod properly for KSP 1.2.1., is it OK from your side to notify CKAN staff members for proper metadata file updates ?
If you don't have time and willpower to maintain metadata files for CKAN.

This has been taken care of

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How do I completely UnInstall this mod?

I uninstalled it via CKAN, but the game still continues to use the mod GUI for hiring Kerbals.  I originally installed it to try it out (and it works well!) but I prefer having random kerbals available to hire; it adds an interesting dimension to the game.

I've checked the /GAMEDATA folder and there is no TRP-HIRE subfolder, so I assume it's gone.  I've even searched through the game for a "hire.dll" file but haven't located it.  Can you offer any advice on how to get the game to revert to the random-kerbal availability?

Thanx in advance....

17 minutes ago, PharaohTet said:

How do I completely UnInstall this mod?

I uninstalled it via CKAN, but the game still continues to use the mod GUI for hiring Kerbals.  I originally installed it to try it out (and it works well!) but I prefer having random kerbals available to hire; it adds an interesting dimension to the game.

I've checked the /GAMEDATA folder and there is no TRP-HIRE subfolder, so I assume it's gone.  I've even searched through the game for a "hire.dll" file but haven't located it.  Can you offer any advice on how to get the game to revert to the random-kerbal availability?

Thanx in advance....

Do you have MKS installed?  Recent versions contain a derivative of this mod as well.  (So you can hire all the different types of Kerbals without waiting for months to get the profession you need.)

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Do you have MKS installed?  Recent versions contain a derivative of this mod as well.  (So you can hire all the different types of Kerbals without waiting for months to get the profession you need.)

I do have it installed.  Is there a way for me to keep MKS but still have random kerbal hiring?  I prefer to keep MKS if possible.

25 minutes ago, PharaohTet said:

I do have it installed.  Is there a way for me to keep MKS but still have random kerbal hiring?  I prefer to keep MKS if possible.

I'm not sure.  It was brought in to solve a severe problem for MKS users that many people couldn't get needed pilots and scientists early-game.  You'd have to talk to RoverDude.

• 3 months later...

New release is now available for 1.3.

Currently available at Github, I'm waiting for access to the TRP-Hire entry on Spacedock:

• Initial rebuild for KSP 1.3
  • Added standardized build scripts
  • Added AssemblyVersion.tt
  • Added .version file
  • Broke single file out into several files
  • Added Log.cs
  • Changed all logging to using standardized Log class

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PHS/releases

Edited by linuxgurugamer
Fixed version info

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 8:14 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release is now available for 1.3.

Currently available at Github, I'm waiting for access to the TRP-Hire entry on Spacedock:

Version 0.1.0:

• Initial rebuild for KSP 1.3
  • Added standardized build scripts
  • Added AssemblyVersion.tt
  • Added .version file

• Broke single file out into several files
  • Added Log.cs
  • Changed all logging to using standardized Log class

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PHS/releases

The game is telling me there's a 0.6.2 version of the mod that I should be downloading. It's a minor thing, but it's super annoying. Also I was wondering, could you add a functionality that allows us to rearrange and organize our kerbals? I'm kind of obsessive about their placements, and the ability to drag them around the list would be so nice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.