Finally using Kerbal Engineer Redux

Now that I've got a couple of orbiting stations up including one at Minmus, got some orbiting satellites, rescued a few Kerbals, explored Kerbin's moons, I finally decided to start modding. And I decided to start with KER.

Anyone care to share suggestions on how best to use KER? Any tips welcome! Thanx in advance.

In flight I'm using it to display all kinds of important information - I created my own HUD elements from scratch for KER to show what I need to know like this (JPEG)

In VAB I'm using it to determine DeltaV and TWR only.

It's a great tool, you should definitely check it out intensively

KER tells you *everything*, at the same time. It is tempting to want to see these, but restrict yourself to only the needed data.

In flight, often only the heads-up display at the top is ample.

Sounds like you didn't get into editing those HUD elements! Trust me, it's worth the effort :)

Edited by noxgandhi

Only one thing to say, really.

Try not to drown in the data!

KER tells you *everything*, at the same time. It is tempting to want to see these, but restrict yourself to only the needed data.

In flight, often only the heads-up display at the top is ample.

Ok, ninja'd by some very wise words from noxghandi.

Edited by MarvinKitFox

The biggest KER default feature is the dV readout in the VAB/SPH. Note the atmospheric button, which matters more now for engine thrust. Past that the HUDs can be great if you find the right information you really want to know. Altitude (terrain) is how it should have been to begin with. Inclination is great and I put it next to Apo/Peri. For more ideas see...

I created my own HUD elements from scratch for KER to show what I need to know...

I saw your HUDs in another thread that had one of your screenshots and was instantly jealous. I've customized the HUDs some, but I definitely want to add some of your ideas to my displays.

My suggestion is to cut it down to the information you need.

Personally, I LOVE having all the data shown. It feels blunt and clumsy playing KSP between updates and KER updating, and relying only on guesswork.

I use KER for Dv and T/W ratio displays while building rockets, and in flight I mostly just use the top-of-screen display. It is so handy I usually get into orbit without ever entering map display or using nodes, just by using the info there.

Using the in flight HUD, you can activate info bars so that you can see AP, PE, time to each, Delta V, TWR, etc. There is a lot of information in the tabs, but you can add separators (a line) to group information into subsections (Delta V and TWR, Terminal velocity, etc.) under each section (Vessel, Orbital). My favorites are TWR, Delta V for each stage and total, air intake usage, TWR, Terminal velocity, and a few others.

I still haven't used KER except for first glance since I downloaded it. The thing I don't want is for it to make stuff too easy. In the 1960s, achieving a parking orbit with a specific AP, PA, inclination, etc. was not easy. In Star Trek, it is so easy, they just press a couple of buttons and it happens. I don't want to turn the former into the latter. But the base game doesn't give enough info to even play 1960 style. If I want to WORK, I can make the base game WORK 1960s style, but I don't want to work. I want to play. I get the impression that if I choose just a few things to display, I can get what I'm looking for with KER.

Exactly. I tried MechJeb once a year ago, used the auto-pilot and lost interest since everything became way too easy and the temptation is too strong... Now I play without any 'invasive' mods. All I need is passive one-way information.

For me, the most helpful items are in the vessel panel - current TWR, vessel mass, delta v, part count, etc. My favorite new feature (to me anyway) is the suicide burn height. It really helps make more efficient use of fuel when landing on bodies without an atmosphere.

I don't want MechJeb and have been thinking about this. Would be super interested in what you think DarkGravity :)

Well, I've used it a little bit now, and I must say I like it. While it can give you more info than you might want, the default settings only give a small amount of info. You have to manually edit the display if you want a ton of stuff. And no info in-flight unless you have fully upgraded your tracking station, which I haven't. And even then, I think you can opt out. It doesn't feel like cheating or in any way like the game suddenly got too easy. It is a fast download and easy install. I recommend you check it out.

Edited by DarkGravity

Well, I've used it a little bit now, and I must say I like it. While it can give you more info than you might want, the default settings only give a small amount of info. You have to manually edit the display if you want a ton of stuff. And no info in-flight unless you have fully upgraded your tracking station, which I haven't. And even then, I think you can opt out. It doesn't feel like cheating or in any way like the game suddenly got too easy. It is a fast download and easy install. I recommend you check it out.

Thanks DarkGravity, I think I'll go get it now :)

In flight I'm using it to display all kinds of important information - I created my own HUD elements from scratch for KER to show what I need to know like this (JPEG)

Oh. My. Kraken. There are SEPARATORS??!?!

Today I learned...

I can't play without KER now. The amount of information displayed when desired is too valuable. I also set it to that its always on and not requiring a part.

For landings on planets for example, I can see exactly how much lateral movement I have.

When building a rocket I can see exactly how much dV and TWR and more I have on each stage. So no more guessing whether I've got enough to get to orbit, or to Mun, or if one stage is strong enough to even accelerate after separation.

When putting satellites into orbit I can see precise readings for orbit duration, inclination, etc etc.

Most important of all, I can see how much dV I have left in each stage as I fly. So I can see just how much I have to spare once a manoeuvre is complete. Rather than starting the burn and finding I'm 10m/s short.

It's an essential.

It doesn't do anything for you apart from sums (and since I'm not a rocket scientist I'm ok with that), just provides the information for you to use.

I just got it (as per DarkGravity's advice). It is absolutely brilliant. But in my opinion, you shouldn't really use it all. Knowing more than they do in real life makes it way too easy. Knowing velocity components makes it too easy, knowing things like time to impact and time to 0m/s or acceleration makes it too easy. Knowing things like biomes are ok, but for me a little too much, you should have one of the scanners for that. Knowing reasonable stats like mass, thrust, ∆v are brilliant. Most of all KER is about building rockets knowing the ∆v values. I knew how to work them out, but it was getting tedious.

Put simply: MechJeb is too much, and KER is almost MechJeb where you push the buttons if you're not careful.

The best thing is that you really can just choose. Any complaints about overpoweredness are killed by the choice. The only question is: do you have the self restraint? I'm being overly tempted by certain numbers. I may just turn it off in flight. I recommend partless and if you care, don't let yourself use it without an RGU or similar. more parts is not what my rockets need.

Building rockets is now glorious, thank you to all responsible.

On another similar note, does anyone think that the new SAS retrograde button makes landing too easy?

I haven't used KER in flight yet. But I do like the dV values in the VAB. I certainly don't want to have things like suicide burn time displayed in flight. Maybe to review data like that before the flight is one thing, but I like the game to have quite a lot of "seat of the pants" flying. As more and more of these mods take more and more of the guesswork out, I am seeing the need for a mod that introduces random explosions or other malfunctions. Maybe something like 0.01% per rocket the first time it ignites (defined to mean that you can have many rockets on one vehicle) on Normal difficulty, 0.02% on Moderate... during descent maybe one of your lander's engine's decides to only operate at 75% thrust...

I believe in the days of Gemini, 1 in 5 Titan rockets were blowing up. And their total computing power for an entire mission could not power a single cell phone today.

I've never played this game before release, but I do think the SAS retrograde is a bit OP. It would be OK if it put you very near (say within 3%) of retrograde, but the flawless reliability and instantaneous extreme precision is a bit overmuch for a game trying to recreate the days of Apollo.

Edited by DarkGravity

In the 1960s, achieving a parking orbit with a specific AP, PA, inclination, etc. was not easy.

Actually, even in 1960s it was done automatically. Everything was pre-calculated before launch and once the launch key had been turned everything else was a program like - after N seconds switch on this or switch off that relay.

Everything you have displayed in KER can be calculated on paper or in a spreadsheet. No cheats involved here, don't worry. Knowing your parameters is certainly not cheating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.