Rovers can't move (brakes are off!)

I was just about to post victoriously about a successful base building technique in my old thread, and then whilst getting screenshots my rovers just stopped moving.

To reproduce I simply decouple the rovers and switch craft back and forth, when I get to one I'll find it can't move (and the brakes are off and they should be controllable). The wheels appear to spin a small amount and the steering works, but I just can't move. Usually only one gets stuck.

I wanted to upload a craft file but can't see how. Please suggest how I should if you want it.

hQrufs0.jpg

Assume the rovers work 110%. They have loads of power (two big batteries, enough for a whole day of idle time at least), and in fact they respond the whole time, like I said they steer but don't move. I have test driven them and they work perfectly, they have moved that tank half way up the runway and back.

I too have had this problem before. I don't know if this is a bug, but it only effects rovers (or things with wheels on them) that have been docked then undocked with the gear button still on (and in your case you are using the claw, which acts in somewhat the same way). In order to fix this try "raising" the gear by turning off the button and see if that helps, as it did work for me.

All the best, and please let me know if that works for you.

Edited by SpaceExplorer

I believe you are running into a minor bug with the brakes. Under some situations, they activate when switching around even though the icon is off.

If this is the same bug, you can fix it by simply toggling the brakes on, then back off. I can't recall if you need to click the icon to properly clear it out, of if just pressing B takes care of it.

Hopefully that will help work around the issue..

Cheers,

-Claw

Didn't help :(

I think I've pinned it down to decoupling with a docking port only, separators never cause a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

This is more than just brakes...

DUA0hzI.png

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: it happens with another version, and with separators IF they are attached to a docking port!

XeDNKgS.jpg

I've just worked out that when it happens the craft switch loop isn't a loop, it has a beginning and end, as though it is stuck.

I've found some errors in the console. Does anyone have any ideas?

At the end of the day, I'm scared of taking these all the way to Duna or something and then they don't work.

Game State Saved as persistent

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[Tug Rover 3]: ground contact! - error: -0.146m

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Unpacking Tug Rover 3

activating stage 1 - current stage: 2

[00:00:00]: Separation of stage 2 confirmed

[stackSeparatorMini]: Activated

[00:00:00]: Liftoff!!

[FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Kerbal Space Centre ----------------------

Packing Tug Rover 3 for orbit

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform:INTERNAL_CALL_TransformDirection (UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Vector3&)

at UnityEngine.Transform.TransformDirection (Vector3 direction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveJoint.getControlOrt (Vector3 refAxis, PartSpaceMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveJoint.applyCoordsUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveJoint.onPartPack (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Pack () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.GoOnRails () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.setActiveVessel (.Vessel v, Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.ForceSetActiveVessel (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at VesselSwitching.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Tug Rover 3 ----------------------

stage manager resuming...

[FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Tug Rover 3 Debris ----------------------

[FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Kerbal Space Centre ----------------------

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform:INTERNAL_CALL_TransformDirection (UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Vector3&)

at UnityEngine.Transform.TransformDirection (Vector3 direction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveJoint.getControlOrt (Vector3 refAxis, PartSpaceMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.setActiveVessel (.Vessel v, Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.ForceSetActiveVessel (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Camera Mode: AUTO

Camera Mode: AUTO

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

[00:00:00]: TR-2C Stack Separator collided into the surface.

stackSeparatorMini Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

[stackSeparatorMini]: Deactivated

1 explosions created.

[00:00:00]: Separation of stage 0 confirmed

Wait, are you separating both rovers at the same time?

There's also a bug with separating multiple controlled vessels at the same time from a root, non controllable vessel. Although this usually manifests itself in not allowing you to return to the space center. So possibly you might have found a variant that acts a bit differently with docking ports. I'm not sure, but definitely strange...

Cheers,

~Claw

Ahhh! Yes my root may be uncontrollable. Well in the craft file the root is actually a rover, but it might have ended up as the root if the original root was dumped first. I separate at different times. It's certainly some kind of bug, I just want to prevent it.

I'm having a lot of problems with my KSP right now, it's getting depressing. When I say a lot, it just occasionally ruins many hours work and no amount of quick saving can help. Does reinstalling help much?

Is your plan with these doohickeys to kawl them onto the orange tank, open their outer claws, and attach other things to them? Asking because last time I read about it, having the claw on a non-active vessel (e.g. a stationary object while you drive a rover into it) will summon the kraken and kill your game ^^;

Is your plan with these doohickeys to kawl them onto the orange tank, open their outer claws, and attach other things to them? Asking because last time I read about it, having the claw on a non-active vessel (e.g. a stationary object while you drive a rover into it) will summon the kraken and kill your game ^^;

Yes it was, and I was just about to post about how whenever I time warp everything explodes. :(

What can I do? Will it be ok after they are separated?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the console output:

r/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Packing Demeter 1E for orbit

NullReferenceException

at OrbitPhysicsManager.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[05:42:07]: Structural failure on linkage between FL-R25 RCS Fuel Tank and Mk1-2 Command Pod.

[05:42:07]: Structural failure on linkage between Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank and Mk1-2 Command Pod.

[05:42:07]: Structural failure on linkage between Mk2-R Radial-Mount Parachute and Mk1-2 Command Pod.

The structural failures continue for a long time.

AFAIK the only safe way to attach a klaw is to be in control of the vessel that has the klaw. You might be able to point the other ship at it and quickly switch focus, but I'm not sure if that's safe.

Or you may have found a totally different bug - I just remember the klaw thing from something that popped up on the forum months ago ^^;

I have had the exact same problem with BahamutoD's critter crawler--I had thought it was a bug with that mod. After attaching a critter crawler probe/rover (saved as a subassembly) to a ship by a docking port and, in game, detaching it from that docking port, causes me to lose the ability to move it's legs (which I understand are just retextured wheels). The controls are still working because it rocks from torque (and I can activate it's rockets and fly it), but it will not roll/walk. Switching to the space center, switching vessels back and forth, and reloading do not fix it. I should have a save file somewhere with the rover experiencing this problem that I can upload tonight.

AFAIK the only safe way to attach a klaw is to be in control of the vessel that has the klaw. You might be able to point the other ship at it and quickly switch focus, but I'm not sure if that's safe.

Ahhhh. I may have done this. I didn't do quick switching but I just flew into a claw and it captured me. This was done quite a bit to the ship in question.

Can I do anything about it by editing the file?

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.