Any way to edit or mod science lab data capacity?

Title says it all people, honestly im sick of waiting for 500 science and putting more data in as it goes down... Some of the experiments gives me more than 300 data each for the lab and all i do is fast forward so i can use the next data... After doing this atleast 100 times on minmus it became really boring and repetitive so im all ears for your solutions.

Edited by n0xiety

/GameData/Squad/Parts/Science/LargeCrewedLab/largeCrewedLab.cfg

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceLab
containerModuleIndex = 0
dataStorage = 500 <- here's your line!
crewsRequired = 1
canResetConnectedModules = True
canResetNearbyModules = True
interactionRange = 5
SurfaceBonus = 0.1
ContextBonus = 0.25
homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
RESOURCE_PROCESS
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 10
}
}

Beware: science/day depends on how much you have stored; merely increasing it's capacity may possibly make the problem worse (you get more science, but may have to check back even more often). The core of your problem is your desire to keep it topped off at all times; right now, there's no technical solution to that.

Beware: science/day depends on how much you have stored; merely increasing it's capacity may possibly make the problem worse (you get more science, but may have to check back even more often). The core of your problem is your desire to keep it topped off at all times; right now, there's no technical solution to that.

Ty for your answer. Im actually trying to get infinite capacity for both science data storage and science gain storage. Would changing this line to some big number give me the ability to store all my experiments in one go and then return to the science lab in 3 years to find all the data used and some huge number of science gained? Oh and would this cause an exploit like more science gained per data if all data added at the same time or would it be the same as using the normal system. What im trying to say is would the science gain be equal in total to the science gain from the stock system with the same ammount of data?

Edited by n0xiety

Would changing this line to some big number give me the ability to store all my experiments in one go and then return to the science lab in 3 years to find all the data used and some huge number of science gained?

Yes, that will work.

Oh and would this cause an exploit like more science gained per data

Nope. You always get the same amount of science per data (that number can be changed as well, by default it's 5 sci/data). However, the conversion rate goes up with the amount of data stored. If you pack in 5000 data, you will get a lot of science per day. You may want to tweak "researchTime" figure (but then a lab of merely 500 data will barely generate any science).

I have the impression that this is the most desired feature wrt the new lab mechanics: overstuff your lab and have it churning away without the need to check back every so often. Is there really no mod for that?

Just set the data limit to 10000 and science limit to 50000 and its working great. It is taking as much time as it should too. More than that and the last bits of data left takes too long to finish. The last 100 data left is still taking some time to finish even with these numbers but who cares right. Now i can leave the lab working for 5 years while i go on a jool expedition.

Edited by n0xiety

• 1 month later...

Make sure you set the science storage to 5x the data storage, since the stock MPL coversion rate is 1 data = 5 science.

Ty for all your help mate i understand what to do. A simple mod for this would indeed be great tho.

That's basically what I'm working on doing with my work-in-progress mod, DSD Mobile Labs. In the end I'm hoping to improve the gameplay value while reducing the cheesiness of the current MPL implementation.

/shameless plug

Edited by JDCollie

It is an exploit in the sense that you can use a single lab to achieve the conversion rate that used to be only achievable by multiple labs, implying that less mass and fewer kerbals will be needed. Other than that, it's not different - putting the same amount of data in whatever number of labs produce the same total sum of conversion rate (w/o multipliers)

It is an exploit in the sense that you can use a single lab to achieve the conversion rate that used to be only achievable by multiple labs, implying that less mass and fewer kerbals will be needed. Other than that, it's not different - putting the same amount of data in whatever number of labs produce the same total sum of conversion rate (w/o multipliers)

Except that using multiple labs is also highly exploitable, since last time I checked a single experiment can be processed by multiple labs simultaneously. (Unless that changed?)

Right, but I thought that is intentional? The design rationale is that you need to pay for setting up the infra (launching that mass and send scientists). So removing/raising the cap is really making it an exploit. With the original cap, IMO it's not exploit.

.. I'm actually trying to get infinite capacity for both science data storage and science gain storage.

Hangon - my science generation rate (e.g. the speed at which data turns to science, drop as % of data capacity used drops from 100%. If data capacity hits infinity, your rate of conversion might decrease to zero.

Or the Kraken will consume the universe. No-body wants that, do they?

Wemb

- - - Updated - - -

Right, but I thought that is intentional? The design rationale is that you need to pay for setting up the infra (launching that mass and send scientists). So removing/raising the cap is really making it an exploit. With the original cap, IMO it's not exploit.

I'm not sure the cap is a major problem - the speed at which it converts data to science is the key limiting factor for my Kerbals - A few trips (3 I think) to biomes on Minmus has produced far more science that I can process in several years in my orbital Minmus science lab - okay. I've only got three Scientists working there, and none of them are superqualified - but the only thing the data cap is stopping me doing is returning the processed experiments back to Kerbal,and that's only because they're mixed up wth the unprocessed science awaiting data storage. If I could choose which data to take from a module, I wouldn't need to worry.

Wemb

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the topic, very useful.

I play in science mod with everything unlocked, so the science points are just to have something to collect and measure my progress. With 750 data and 500 science caps I need to go back to the labs around every 30 days, and many experiments don't fit...

I will set 3000 for data, and 15000 to science and see how it goes.

20 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

Thanks for the topic, very useful.

I play in science mod with everything unlocked, so the science points are just to have something to collect and measure my progress. With 750 data and 500 science caps I need to go back to the labs around every 30 days, and many experiments don't fit...

I will set 3000 for data, and 15000 to science and see how it goes.

1) This thread is from 2015, it seems.

2) You could use the new science storage containers or just strap multiple labs together as an alternative?

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

1) This thread is from 2015, it seems.

2) You could use the new science storage containers or just strap multiple labs together as an alternative?

The game mechanics and config files still the same, and the topic have the exact same question I have, with many useful opinions. Don't see why throw this away and start a new one. 

The lab already can store any number of experiments, even duplicates, but you need to go back periodically and turn that into data. I don't agree with the possibility to process the same experiment in multiple labs, so I limit to 1 per planet/moon (would use a mod for that if it exists). I also use a life-support mod, it's not very simple to keep the Kerbals alive.

13 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

The game mechanics and config files still the same, and the topic have the exact same question I have, with many useful opinions. Don't see why throw this away and start a new one. 

The lab already can store any number of experiments, even duplicates, but you need to go back periodically and turn that into data. I don't agree with the possibility to process the same experiment in multiple labs, so I limit to 1 per planet/moon (would use a mod for that if it exists). I also use a life-support mod, it's not very simple to keep the Kerbals alive.

Fair enough.

It's a single player game; play how ever makes you happy!

On 12/17/2017 at 8:38 PM, kerbalfreak said:

The game mechanics and config files still the same [snip]

That is no longer entirely true.

Originally, the lab would convert the experiment into data but would return the experiment; you could grab a surface sample from somewhere, convert it into data, and the lab would both process data for additional science and give your sample back.  Now, converting an experiment into data in the lab consumes the experiment; if you want to run an experiment in multiple labs, you need multiple copies of the experiment, plus an extra if you want to return or transmit one of them to Kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.