[1.10.1+] Contract Pack: Field Research [v1.2.2] [2020-09-20]

nightingale

4 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

First of all a big thumb up for you great work on this series of mods!

Two days ago I took the challange to accept a rare science contract. Splash down at the Polar Ice Caps,  write a crew report, go on EVA and do a temperature reading. Didn't sound that hard. I managed to splash down close enough to the icy coast several times. But it did never fulfilled the contract. After a couple of failures I edited the craft exactly to the waypoints recomended. Nothing. By chance I recognized, the the biomes were no longer called Polar Caps but Northern or Southern Ice Shelves. Might that be an issue or am I just to dumb to hit the spot propperly?

Has anyone else expererienced a phenomenon like that?  

Yeah, there was some biome changes in 1.2 along with the cleanup of biome maps.  I'm not familiar with the details (@RoverDude is the one who would know), but it certainly sounds like you've got a contract from 1.1.3 that is no longer possible in 1.2.

2 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

Okay, than I'd better ditch that special contract. There are enough other awsome ones in the pack. =) Thanks al lot @nightingale !

I guess the changes in the biome system might take you and other gods of the mods some time to get used to. No need to be rushed. =)  

Nothing needs changing in the contract pack - it's just the biome ceased to exist since the contract was offered.  New contracts won't have that issue.

26 minutes ago, FlatEric said:

I've got some problems with gathering rare science from Kerbin,

in this case, splashed down in mountains:

I've visited all 3 waypoints but only found shores as biome :-(

That is something I need to fix up from the 1.2 release.

• 1 month later...

Feature request, with all the biome clean up its no longer easy to get to (or even know where) some biomes are. Would it be possible to separate them into two groups? Easy (to get to and find) Grasslands, Shores, Highlands, Lowlands and Mountains which are offered from the start, and the remainder only offered after you have the biome scanner parts unlocked and so a map you can find them with (SCANSat gives you that I know, not looked into what KerbNet gives the player mapwise for stock). This is specifically for Kerbin but could be applied to the "easy/hard" Mun biomes too.

I have just started a new career and I have a "go to Tundra" mission which I cockily thought would be a quick trip to the island runway, I forgot what I had read in those Friday weekly dev notes lol. Until I have unlocked the tech for those biome maps I have no idea where to look.

edit: Feature requested on Github. Have a good holiday.

Edited by muppet9876
response to post

• 4 weeks later...

@Mynhardt Kitshoff Did you manage to get it? The Astronaut Complex biome recognition can be a bit wonky sometimes, I've had the same problem occasionally. Try driving the rover right next to the wall so it actually touches the building, see if that helps. Specifically, the wall on the VAB side of the building has worked for me usually. Also, you don't need to complete those in a single run, so if it bugs out you can recover the completed experiments and relaunch the rover again to try and fulfill the remaining one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone having trouble with experiments not being picked up?

I have 2 science contracts, 1 was to go to station, do any experiment and return it. The other is do a temp scan in space high above Kerbin. I got locations both ticked, but neither detected the experiment being done. 

I tried using both default sci items and also universal storage versions. No joy. 

4 hours ago, CompB said:

I'm seeing several contracts that require I do an EVA report while flying low. Do I have to have somebody EVA and hang on, or am I missing something?

In most cases, you can get EVA data for flying low over a body by simply jumping and taking the EVA report while off the ground. 

5 hours ago, CompB said:

Do I have to have somebody EVA and hang on

That's the Kerbal way. :)

9 minutes ago, Merkov said:

In most cases, you can get EVA data for flying low over a body by simply jumping and taking the EVA report while off the ground. 

Really? That's hilarious and awesome, never even noticed that. :D

Anyway, the External Command Seat lets you do EVA reports if you want a less silly method.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, carlorizzante said:

I'm sure this is a pretty stupid question, but I can't find anything on Google or on this forum about it.

How do I perform a "biome research"? I'm stuck in few Field Research's contract and I wonder if the "biome research" is part of this mod.

I'm pretty sure biome research comes from the WBI suite of mods (Pathfinder, Buffalo, MOLE, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into a bug.

It seems if you recover a science container with no probe core, that contains the science, it doesn't properly register as recovered by this mod. 
This issue may be upstream in contract configuration.
If you are having trouble replicated the bug or need a detailed report, just ask. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.