[1.10.1+] Contract Pack: Field Research [v1.2.2] [2020-09-20]

nightingale

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2019 at 4:44 AM, paul23 said:

Hey I have to perform "visual observation" - how can I do this?

Nertea's station parts give this experiment to some parts (e.g. "Porthole" Observation Window). I was actually trying to find out how to disable those experiments...

54 minutes ago, Lathari said:

Nertea's station parts give this experiment to some parts (e.g. "Porthole" Observation Window). I was actually trying to find out how to disable those experiments...

Create a new ModuleManager patch file containing the following:

CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS
{
	name = SSPX
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = sspxFishStudy
		ignored = true
	}
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = sspxPlantGrowth
		ignored = true
	}
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = sspxVisualObservation
		ignored = true
	}
}

That will cause Field Research to ignore the three experiments introduced by SSPX when generating contracts.

Is there any way to blacklist certain experimentID values?

I find it annoying to try stick a cupola from Nertea's SSPX to my lander and have written a MM patch to remove the whole experiment from all parts but I would like to keep the experiment but not having it pop up in contracts.

@Aelfhe1m Thank you, nice ninja.

Edited by Lathari
Got ninja'ed

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, madindehead said:

Not sure if anyone else is getting this issue but I was getting an error which I think is linked to this Contract Pack - See the linked post. 

I disabled Field Research in the Contract Configurator options and the issue has totally disappeared now. Has anyone else had this issue? If so did you find a solution? The Field Research contracts were working fine until yesterday so I really don't know what happened :/ 

I just started getting this exact same issue. Googling the problem I found in the ksp.log led me to find your posts about it. The configurator throws loads of errors upon loading the space center and continues to do so, resulting in a framerate of 1 per 5 seconds or so...

It also says the same thing: 'RA' is not a valid CelestialBody.

Using GPP, if that makes any difference. I had just accepted a 'take a scientist to explore biome' mission, the target being the Iota Highlands. Along with a bunch of others, but none from this contract pack.

I will try testing if reloading the contracts solves the issue.

Update: Some further testing and inspection done: completing or cancelling all running contracts has no impact, nor does reloading or re-generating all contracts from the CC control screen.

After another look at the KSP.log, I noticed the error was tied exclusively to the contract 'FS_HardScience'. Looking into the Field Research files, I found this is actually a separate .cfg which defines the 'rare situation' science contract (splashed down in land biomes for example). The error was coming up ingame, even though I had no such contracts accepted or even offered to me at the time - but apparently it IS trying to.

This is exactly the same as in Madindehead's case. 

Removing just the HardScience .cfg file solved the problem already; so no need to disable the entire contract pack!

Looking into the file itself, it seems to have specific configs for RSS and GPP, seemingly only being applicable to specific bodies. I'm no programmer, so sadly cannot know what goes wrong beyond that, but I'd say it's looking for a body and/or biome that doesn't match with what's there.

I have to say that even beyond this issue, Field Research has been having some wonky behavior in my installs, from 1.3 to my current 1.7.3 and with several varying planet packs: contracts loading in only sometimes and often suddenly dissapearing; contracts often only generating after a certain time or visiting science facility/tracking station.

Hope all this helps others with similar issues!

Edited by Morphisor
Test results & ideas

• 1 month later...

Does this mod stop working if Kerbalism is installed?

I am trying to do the contract which asks me to take a surface sample landed at Kerbin's water, and it gives me waypoints, and I am able to get into the situation and take the surface sample using Kerbalism. However, the contracts window doesn't show a checkmark once I have taken the sample. It also does not complete upon recovery of the vessel.

I though perhaps it might want me to collect samples from each of the waypoints, but they are not listed individually in the contract menu of the toolbar, the way stock waypoint science contracts did (they are disabled when playing with Kerbalism). Still, I made sure to take my surface sample directly on one of the waypoints, and nothing changed.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:10 PM, RoyCreditor said:

Does this mod stop working if Kerbalism is installed?

I am trying to do the contract which asks me to take a surface sample landed at Kerbin's water, and it gives me waypoints, and I am able to get into the situation and take the surface sample using Kerbalism. However, the contracts window doesn't show a checkmark once I have taken the sample. It also does not complete upon recovery of the vessel.

I though perhaps it might want me to collect samples from each of the waypoints, but they are not listed individually in the contract menu of the toolbar, the way stock waypoint science contracts did (they are disabled when playing with Kerbalism). Still, I made sure to take my surface sample directly on one of the waypoints, and nothing changed.

Hello Roy,

the Kerbalism FAQ explicitly states that Field Research is not compatible because the entire science system gets changed by that mod. For that reason, this mod and the stock "collect a Mun stone" contracts do not work when Kerbalism is installed. 

Cheers,

Wowa

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure exactly what the issue is here, I'm assuming from reading earlier posts that I've either completed some task which is preventing Mun and Minmus contracts (or any contracts other than on Kerbin) from spawning, or I missed doing something that would've opened those contracts up. Or maybe it's a mod incompatibility, I'm not sure.

I've already landed on both the Mun and Minmus, and I've sent a probe out into a solar orbit and I have not gotten a single contract from this pack for any other celestial body except for Kerbin. I've got quite a few mods and I'd be happy to provide a mod list, but the as far as mods that create contracts go, I have: the requirements for the pack, Contract Configurator and the other packs by Nightingale, ScanSat, and Mission Controller 2. If I can provide any more useful info let me know, and any help is appreciated!

• 3 months later...

Just noticed that 'help scientist' contracts can generate comet sample missions, which I think is a bit much. Might be helpful to disable comet samples from these types of missions, as landing three comets next to each other would be quite a chore.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:46 AM, Lathari said:

Just noticed that 'help scientist' contracts can generate comet sample missions, which I think is a bit much. Might be helpful to disable comet samples from these types of missions, as landing three comets next to each other would be quite a chore.

Yeah, I added support for new science in Contract Configurator a couple releases ago.  Looks like there are some...  unreasonable combinations that I'll need to scale back.  I'll get this fixed in the next release.

Hi, I've made a couple of temporary fixes to that issue, these are two .cfgs that simply disable contracts for Nert's stuff and the comet science experiments as well. Obviously not an ideal situation but should tide you over until someone better with CC/MM than I takes a look.

@CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS
{

name = DisableCometScience
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = infraredTelescope
		ignored = true
	}
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = cometSample_short
		ignored = true
	}
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = cometSample_intermediate
		ignored = true
    }
    EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = cometSample_long
		ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name=cometSample_interstellar
		ignored=true
	}
}
@CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS
{
	name = SSPX
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = sspxFishStudy
		ignored = true
	}
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = sspxPlantGrowth
		ignored = true
	}
	EXPERIMENT
	{
		name = sspxVisualObservation
		ignored = true
	}
}

Hey, @DuoDex is still around!!  Depending on how easy it is to get it working, reasonably with Field Research contracts, I may just disable those myself.

Curious about the SSPX stuff though, when I looked at those they looked to be fairly "standard" experiments.  Are they broken with Field Research, or is just personal preference to disable them from the mod?

2 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Hey, @DuoDex is still around!!  Depending on how easy it is to get it working, reasonably with Field Research contracts, I may just disable those myself.

Curious about the SSPX stuff though, when I looked at those they looked to be fairly "standard" experiments.  Are they broken with Field Research, or is just personal preference to disable them from the mod?

Personal preference - the parts for those are intended for space stations and are not at all suitable for landings.

22 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Personal preference - the parts for those are intended for space stations and are not at all suitable for landings.

Makes perfect sense.  I'll see if I can figure out a middle ground (maybe disable them from the "scientist" contract, but keep them for others).

15 hours ago, nightingale said:

Makes perfect sense.  I'll see if I can figure out a middle ground (maybe disable them from the "scientist" contract, but keep them for others).

I missed one of the cometScience defs.

cometSample_interstellar

also needs to be in there. Updated the post above as well.

• 2 weeks later...

New updates, first in...  3 years!  Wow, how time flies.  This is main just bug fixes, but I had wanted to add a Deployed Science contract.  However, any way I seemed to slice it made it not much different than the stock version.  So question out to everyone:

1. Do you even want a Deployed Science specific contract (it would only show up for people with the Breaking Ground expansion installed)?
  2. Do you have any ideas for how you would like to see it (it needs to be sufficiently different/bettter/more interesting than the stock one to make it worth doing)?

ContractPack-FieldResearch 1.2.2

• Added agent title.
  • Made experiment contract more likely to successfully generate.
  • Minor improvements to contract text.
  • Prevent Scientist contract from asking for impossible Surface Feature scans (thanks Lathari).

On 9/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, nightingale said:

New updates, first in...  3 years!  Wow, how time flies.  This is main just bug fixes, but I had wanted to add a Deployed Science contract.  However, any way I seemed to slice it made it not much different than the stock version.  So question out to everyone:

1. Do you even want a Deployed Science specific contract (it would only show up for people with the Breaking Ground expansion installed)?
  2. Do you have any ideas for how you would like to see it (it needs to be sufficiently different/bettter/more interesting than the stock one to make it worth doing)?

ContractPack-FieldResearch 1.2.2

• Added agent title.
  • Made experiment contract more likely to successfully generate.
  • Minor improvements to contract text.
  • Prevent Scientist contract from asking for impossible Surface Feature scans (thanks Lathari).

Worth my while to put in a PR to remove SSPX science and the stock Comet stuff while we're working on it? :P

4 hours ago, DuoDex said:

Worth my while to put in a PR to remove SSPX science and the stock Comet stuff while we're working on it? :P

Stock comet stuff is already done.  I was undecided on SSPX, but I don't need much of a push (and having someone else do it is enough of a push).  Just toss it in the pile with the others.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Morphisor said:

The KSC biome is also on the intersections between the various building areas. Those are actually the easiest place to get the experiments done.

That was it exactly!  The "green" triangle intersection is the KSC biome, appreciate the reply.

• 1 month later...

哥们,安装这个模块后,救援任务好像没有刷新 

Dude, after installing this module, the rescue mission does not seem to be refreshed 

Edited by Vanamonde
Please post in English when not using the International subforums.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.