[1.10.1+] Contract Pack: Field Research [v1.2.2] [2020-09-20]

nightingale

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:20 AM, FuzzyG said:

Asking for help with the following contract. Note - This is one part of four whereby the other three were pretty clear

Collect science

Situation: Landed

Experiment: Biome Research

Recovery: Recover or Transmit

From what I have deduced, or what I find after eliminating the obvious, is that there is at least one item that will collect "biome research" as an experiment rather than completing an experiment within a particular biome, which as you know is the norm (as in the latter). However, I am at a loss as to the identity of the item (as a part) in question. In the interim of waiting for a viable response, I will dig through the .cfg files to see if it indicates any insight accordingly. 

Kind regards,

:ph34r:G

If you have the pathfinder mod installed it might be one of the science parts from that mod.  I think you have to build a small base to research the biome.

Edited by Vaga

1 minute ago, Vaga said:

If you have the pathfinder mod installed it might be one of the science parts from that mod.  I think you have to build a small base to research the biome.

Thank you for your response. I do have pathfinder installed along with about 207 other mods. Are you certain that the item in question is listed amongst said science parts? I will see if it indicates which are which. 

Cheers

16 minutes ago, FuzzyG said:

Thank you for your response. I do have pathfinder installed along with about 207 other mods. Are you certain that the item in question is listed amongst said science parts? I will see if it indicates which are which. 

Cheers

Its not in the "Science parts" its one of the functions of making a small base.  digging some of the soil up for that biome and doing some research on it.  Yes I have pathfinder and all of Angel125's other mods installed.

The same question and answer can be found on page 14 of this thread.

Edited by Vaga

• 1 month later...

anyway of making a config to ignore certain sciencedefs of certain mods? Field research is getting confused between Bluedog design, coatl and dmagic. Those 3 mods work together but flied research is asking for experiments I cannot produce because of compatibility configs within those mods. I basicly want field research to only use stock sciencedefs and dmagics. 

Spoiler

@CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS[StationScience]
{
    @EXPERIMENT,*
    {
        ignored = true
    }
}
@CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS[Coatl Aerospace]
{
    @EXPERIMENT,*
    {
        ignored = true
    }
}
@CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS[StationPartsExpansionRedux]
{
    @EXPERIMENT,*
    {
        ignored = true
    }
}
@CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS[Bluedog_DB]
{
    @EXPERIMENT,*
    {
        ignored = true
    }
}

I tried copying station science and it works ingame by ignoring them but when loading module manager says error. Nothing major but since I have not idea what I am doing I would like to ask people that know what they are doing :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have a problem with one mission from this pack.

Minmus

Highlands

High in space

Anomaly scan

The only thing that can do an anomaly scan i have is "Anomalous Signal Sensor - BTDT" by DMagic, and for that to work i need to be wihin 200 meters, not above 30 kilometers.

Is there anyhting i can do? Should i ask in the DMagic thread?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, anotherlurker said:

Minmus

Highlands

High in space

Anomaly scan

The only thing that can do an anomaly scan i have is "Anomalous Signal Sensor - BTDT" by DMagic, and for that to work i need to be wihin 200 meters, not above 30 kilometers.

Is there anyhting i can do? Should i ask in the DMagic thread?

This does allow for modded experiments, and sometimes they have their own restrictions coded in that can cause problems like this.  However, in this case I think this is a SCANsat experiment - so I'd try that first.  I don't know the name of the part, but I assume that's the @DMagic thread you were referring to.

9 hours ago, nightingale said:

This does allow for modded experiments, and sometimes they have their own restrictions coded in that can cause problems like this.  However, in this case I think this is a SCANsat experiment - so I'd try that first.  I don't know the name of the part, but I assume that's the @DMagic thread you were referring to.

Thanks for answering!

I made a probe with all science that could be it, hovered over an anomaly i already found at all heights etc, nothing would do. Your contract packs are great but i sadly have to turn it off... the rest of the contract had weird things as well, but hauling a 6 ton plant growth lab and a huge radio astronomy telescope is nothing compared to this problem with the anomaly scan. :confused:

3 hours ago, anotherlurker said:

Thanks for answering!

I made a probe with all science that could be it, hovered over an anomaly i already found at all heights etc, nothing would do. Your contract packs are great but i sadly have to turn it off... the rest of the contract had weird things as well, but hauling a 6 ton plant growth lab and a huge radio astronomy telescope is nothing compared to this problem with the anomaly scan. :confused:

Took a peek and this does indeed seem to be from the "Anomalous Signal Sensor" in DMOS, and you're correct that it's tied to distance from an anomaly.  So I'll likely just remove this experiment from the list of valid experiments.  Raised ContractConfigurator/#673.

2 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Took a peek and this does indeed seem to be from the "Anomalous Signal Sensor" in DMOS, and you're correct that it's tied to distance from an anomaly.  So I'll likely just remove this experiment from the list of valid experiments.  Raised ContractConfigurator/#673.

In a similar vein, also from DMOS, "Visual Reports" (Orbital Telescope) are asked for while landed, and SIGINT reports from specific biomes from low/high orbit, both of which are impossible; the telescope doesn't work while landed or atmospheric flight, and the SIGINT-dish only yields reports for northern or southern hemisphere, not biomes.

1 hour ago, VenDei said:

In a similar vein, also from DMOS, "Visual Reports" (Orbital Telescope) are asked for while landed, and SIGINT reports from specific biomes from low/high orbit, both of which are impossible; the telescope doesn't work while landed or atmospheric flight, and the SIGINT-dish only yields reports for northern or southern hemisphere, not biomes.

Thanks for the heads up - sounds like I need to a do a bit of a review of the DMOS experiment limitations.

That would be quite awesome. I never considered those things gamebreaking, just not very well integrated, and I usually treat them with some care while picking contracts. You know, like stock testing contracts with ridiculous conditions.

And--for the sake of gameplay "mulligans"--if an individual contract has an obvious bug like that, I'll just ignore/dismiss it, or achieve what *would* be the success state, then cheat-achieve the contract via alt-f12.

Of course, the ideal is to fix the integration, but it's a shame to loose all the other awesome, perfectly valid contracts this pack generates by switching it off altogether.

• 2 months later...

Hi @nightingale, I wanted to loop you into something I'm seeing in my latest log running KSP 1.6.1 and using the Contract Pack: Field Research (v1.2.1) mod.

From some discussion over at the Contract Configurator thread, I've been seeing the following log spam:

[ERR 11:09:37.132] Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT'
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ConfigNode.AddValue(System.String name, System.String value)
   at Contracts.Contract.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at ContractConfigurator.ContractPreLoader.OnSave(.ConfigNode node)
   at ScenarioModule.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at ProtoScenarioModule..ctor(.ScenarioModule module)
   at ScenarioRunner.UpdateModules()
   at ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules()
   at Game.Updated(GameScenes startSceneOverride)
   at GamePersistence.SaveGame(System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode, GameScenes startScene)
   at GamePersistence.SaveGame(System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
   at SpaceCenterBuilding.UpgradeFacility(Boolean deduceFunds)
   at SpaceCenterBuilding.OnContextMenuDismissed(DismissAction dma)
   at KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu.Dismiss(DismissAction dma)
   at KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu.OnUpgradeButtonInput()
   at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke()
   at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke()
   at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press()
   at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick(UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
   at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute(IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
   at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute(UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
   at UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.ProcessMousePress(UnityEngine.EventSystems.MouseButtonEventData data)
   at UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.ProcessMouseEvent(Int32 id)
   at UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.ProcessMouseEvent()
   at UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.Process()
   at UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.Update()

According to @Tonka Crash per his reply here, he believes this is related to the AGENT bit in the 'ModuleManager.ConfigCache' file not including a ' title = ' code string. As a short-term resolution, he said he just updates these and then notifies the mod owners to make the updates, otherwise any edits to the CFGs obviously get overwritten then the mods are updated.

Many of the code bits DO have the 'title = ' string there, but several of the Contract Pack CFG files do not:

• ContractPacks/FieldResearch/Agencies/Agents
  • ContractPacks/KerbalAcademy/Agent/KerbalAcademyAgency
  • ContractPacks/KerbinSpaceStation/Agents/StationAgent
  • ContractPacks/Tourism/Agencies/Agents

As the owner/maintainer of both CC and CP: Field Research, I thought I'd reach out to you and see if A) you can confirm from your POV this is what's going on and B) if it's possible to make any updates to resolve this?

Let me know if you'd like any more information from me, such as my log file where I'm seeing this, etc. Thanks for your help!

Edited by scottadges

• 3 weeks later...

G'day @nightingale,

While testing something for one of my users for NEOS, I noticed that when your Contract Pack is installed, it duplicates contracts when the "Cheat" menu is used to try to clear/regenerate contracts. Not really important for normal gaming but perhaps something to look into when you have some spare (hah!) time.

• 2 months later...

Hi I am encountering an inconsistency with Contract Pack: Field Research and planet pack JNSQ. For the most part the field science contracts they send me on seem reasonable. A few are somewhat annoying like "Landed in <whatever ocean>", but are still technically possible. However I picked this cool sounding rare science contract:

Biome: Kerbin's Ice Caps
Situation: Splashed Down
Experiment: Crew Report
Experiment: EVA Report
Experiment: Temperature Scan

The suggested waypoint is actually quite far from the Ice Caps themselves, in the Arctic Sea. In any case I could not do the contract there, I guess the reason is obvious. Then I spent a long time flying randomly around the Ice Caps looking for a place to splash down. However any water seems to be Kerbin's Shores or Arctic Sea. Since the waypoint didn't work and the Ice Caps seem to be entirely solid ground... maybe the suggested waypoint generator is bugged for some planet packs.

I love this contract pack!

Question: Is it possible to extract the hard science waypoints from the source code? I want to get them on a science mode game and so I can't use the contracts. But the waypoints are super helpful.

Edit: I might have found it in the Contract Configurator source, but one notable thing missing is highlands water. I know that Field Research has given me a waypoint for that before, but it's missing in this file.

Edited by Tekaoh

On 6/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, Tekaoh said:

I love this contract pack!

Question: Is it possible to extract the hard science waypoints from the source code? I want to get them on a science mode game and so I can't use the contracts. But the waypoints are super helpful.

Edit: I might have found it in the Contract Configurator source, but one notable thing missing is highlands water. I know that Field Research has given me a waypoint for that before, but it's missing in this file.

The waypoints are hidden safely in Kerbin's North Pole Far Side Crater biome. :ph34r: You'll have to be Splashed Down and Flying to find them though.

Don't take this seriously. It's late.

I've read through most of the 17 pages of comment here and I didn't see my issue so I'll ask about it here. I have a contract for science around KSC and two biomes, Mission Control and Crawlerway, require a surface materials exposure. I cannot seem to get these two to complete. I did make the assumption that they are asking for the materials science lab experiment. The wording perhaps hints at another type of experiment though. One thing I thought of was perhaps I had already grabbed these earlier without having a contract for them and that since I gain no science from repeating them that the contract cannot be satisfied. If it is indeed a different experiment from the materials lab, and I need to do a surface materials exposure, which part would I need for that?

This is an awesome mod btw, love it. 

Thanks

P.S.   Did you remove the rescue missions from the vanilla game where we rescue various Kerbals stranded in orbit? I found those rather enjoyable along with picking up some free Kerbalnauts.

Edited by r3_141592654
Additional Question

• 3 weeks later...

How do I blacklist certain science categories?

The SIGINT from DMagic was already mentioned, but there's also problem with the WildBlue MOLE experiments (it keeps popping "Empty slot for an experiment" which isn't possible to complete).

I found this:

@CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS[StationScience]
{
    @EXPERIMENT,*
    {
        ignored = true
    }
}

But... I don't know what the hell this is saying.

Mole is a bit unique in some of its contracts however I already made a patch for those. I did it as 2 separate files. They could be added into one file I just added experiments as I found them.

CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS
{
    name = WBIModuleScienceExperiment

EXPERIMENT
    {
	   name = WBIEmptyExperiment
        ignored = true
    }

name = WBIModuleScienceExperiment

EXPERIMENT
    {
	   name = wbiSaucerResearchExperiment
        ignored = true
    }

name = ModuleScienceExperiment

EXPERIMENT
    {
	   name = infraredTelescope
        ignored = true
    }

}

The second one is here.

CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS
{
    name = WBILDEF

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIBRE
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBISAME
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIGravioliWaveExperiment
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIOrbitalRecon
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBISpaceResearch
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBISpaceAdaptionStudy
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIPowerToolsEvaluation
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIConstructionTechniques
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBICrystalGrowth
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIIceCreamResearch
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBITemperatureStudy
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIThermalStudy
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIGooStudy
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBICryogenicResourceStudy
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBILongTermCryogenicMiniStudy
        ignored = true
    }
	EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBISAME
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIMESS
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBICryogenicStudy
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBILongTermCryogenicStudy
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBICryogenicRadiationStudy
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBISurfaceConstructionStudy
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBISoilAnalysis
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIMetallurgyAnalysis
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIChemicalAnalysis
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIExtractionAnalysis
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIKNUTS
        ignored = true
    }

EXPERIMENT
    {
        name = WBIBiomeMultiExperiment
        ignored = true
    }

}

@nightingale Fell free to use my  excludes for Angel125's mods if you want (Mostly Mole and I think one or 2 was pathfinder/buffalo.)

Edited by Vaga
Found more mole science to exclude and science from FlyingSaucers to add

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone else is getting this issue but I was getting an error which I think is linked to this Contract Pack - See the linked post. 

I disabled Field Research in the Contract Configurator options and the issue has totally disappeared now. Has anyone else had this issue? If so did you find a solution? The Field Research contracts were working fine until yesterday so I really don't know what happened :/ 

Edited by madindehead

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.