We are all murderers - how many Kerbals did you kill?

p8R

My current career save? Three. Luddard got eaten along with his ship by space kraken and Cathy along with Billy-Bobfred sacrificed their lives when a SSTO landing has gone awry.

Lifetime? Let's say that I'm running low on coffins and honor board space, if I count in even the time when I was learning how to build a rocket. Nowadays their death rates are much lower, thanks to improved safety measures, improved craft design and more competent piloting. I lose about one kerbal per month, sometimes more, sometimes less, and always on test missions.

Oh, and there is the "Eve settlement". They're technically not dead, but their odds of seeing Kerbin ever again are... well... you know the drill.

Just bought the game, already killed 20. 16 were on the same rocket that pitched over soon after launch. 1 died after a failed EVA to my little space station, after banging his head on a solar panel and tearing it off, he spun into atmosphere and baked alive because I didn't know RCS controls well enough.

I play with BD armory....it must be thousands of poor green targets Kerbals. Although, I must say I never shot a Kerbal, but only the vehicles they were in. There is a difference between war and murder.

The thing that I find surprising is that there are people that till bother to count the number of dead kerbals ;) I for myself have no clue of how many died since I put Jeb in a capsule in top of a SRB with no chute in my first time playing a long long time ago :P

Playing SETI career and I sent a four crew mission to a Near Kerbin Asteroid (shoutout to CustomAsteroids!) only to realise I don't have enough fuel for capture burn when returning to Kerbin and my docked Orion-esque vehicle can only sit three.

I figured out that I'll sacrifice Val for her badS abilities. She went in at 3500 m/s...

Counting those killed in the few seconds before quickloading or reverting to launch? I probably kill at least one Kerbal per hour if I'm flying a manned craft (counting quickloads/reverts) even now though I've been playing since 0.20, usually because of carelessly rushing things. But I usually don't leave them dead if I reason they wouldn't have died if I was actually paying attention.

My original acquaintance tryout of KSP (sandbox): dunno, 6 to 8 I'd guess.

My pre v1.0 game (science sandbox): 0

My current game (science sandbox): 0

That does include a small amount of cheating though. Not in current game. But in the pre-v1.0 game, Jebediah once fell to his death while testing ladders. Previously I had managed to drop Bob from 120,000m or so. He bounced mightily but was otherwise fine. Thus I reasoned that the game had misled me to believe that the Kerbals were basically indestructible outside a rocket. And since I had been misled I was entitled to revert or reload. Likewise, while my memory is rather vague on this, I'm reasonably sure that a full crew succumbed once, while a rocket just spontaneously self-destructed on the launchpad. I think I had speeded up time to get daytime, and when back to timewarp 1, the rocket just collapsed. Again, I figured the game had been "unfair" and so I was entitled to revert the Kerbals back to life.

I do revert often. But not to save any lives. Usually it's an unmanned testvehicle and I revert because it's the quickest way "back to the drawing board", or VAB.

I'm very cautious, meticulously careful, and care a lot about my Kerbals and safety. I enjoy the game more, that way.

I test, test, test, test and test. And anything dangerous is tested unmanned.

P.S. And I just remember. There was an incident in my current game as well. I had a ship in solar orbit, when there was a big boom. When I went looking for the vessel, it and it's crew had ceased to exist. I had no problems considering it "unfair", whatever had happened, and reloaded an earlier save.

Edited by Vermil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.