We are all murderers - how many Kerbals did you kill?

p8R

I have killed quite a few of them...though since 1.0 came out I have only lost Bob and that was because parachute was in wrong stage so when I decoupled service module before re-entering I have also activated parachute which was torn off a bit later when it opened.

In sandbox when testing out designs Jeb ends up dying (and being brought back to life) over and over and over (actually that's sounds more like torture than murder).

But it's been a very long time since I've lost a Kerbal on an actual mission, and I've never lost a Kerbal in career mode (I reload for game glitches, but not for pilot/design errors). There have been some close calls (mostly involving aircraft), I think Val should have died in my most recent career, but the new Inline Cockpit is ridiculously strong so she survived a really bad crash landing.

I haven't lost any in 1.0 yet. In 0.25/0.90 I lost a couple of poor explorers to mishaps on Duna (trying to take an EVA report while descending through the atmosphere; wind knocked him right off the ladder) and Ike (running out of EVA propellant in the middle of a very long leap; no way to slow down), and Jeb "mysteriously disappeared" (this was when I first learned about what happens to, say, an ejection seat that leaves the physics simulation radius).

One! :) The only one that died without me noticing it until it was too late and I couldn't get to an earlier game save :)

but many more died and been rborn through game load since then.

anyway, I only use Kerbals when I must, use probes instead

When I started playing there were no saves or reverts, if something went wrong and killed Jeb, Bill and Bob that was it (though of course they respawned). It also meant that every mission had to be done in one sitting from start to finish.

So yeah, I've had many kerbals die on my watch. Not sure how many, probably in the thousands at least.

So far zero in career mode, which I'm actually kind of proud of. Admittedly I'm playing very cautiously (nearly finished the tech tree and still not even been to Duna) and without any of the potentially Kerbal-killing "hardcore" mods like TAC LS and DangIt.

Last time I checked sandbox mode the casualty figure there was about fifty. In addition to some more mundane failed SSTO attempts and questionable stunt flying, this thing turned out to be a pretty effective Kerbal killer:

fzpiHM9.jpg?1

None.

I have not killed anything that can feel pain (animals [although some people say animals cannot think or feel pain, or learn, or have emotion], people, and I think I would feel pain with a kerbal death) in 3 years.

Jeb and Bill have been MIA a few times, but that is not death.

Edited by LABHOUSE

I normally don't set out to kill Kerbals. In the normal course of business, Kerbals are necessary for various menial tasks upon which parts of the space program depend. Thus, just as I try not to break necessary rocket parts, so I try not to kill necessary Kerbals. Merely keeping them alive, however, does not equate with a duty to bring them home. If I need a Kerbal for some job on another planet, then he's going to do that job until either he dies or his job is replaced by technology :).

However, the Almighty Kraken demands sacrifice, so there are times when I construct all sorts of fiendish devices and kill lots of Kerbals with them.

What does a 'revert launch' count as?

Does it matter if you revert before immediate physical danger?

In 0.90 I had a MIA because of recovering a kerbal outside a vessel and the vessel disappearing with another kerbal inside.

There has been the occasional experimental rocket or (usually) plane lost in simulation.

Aside from those, I think I had one un-revertable kerbal death in 0.90 and none so far in 1.0

On the other hand, I have had many 'I had a bad ascent profile and I will not be able to complete the mission if I use all the fuel I need to get a stable orbit, [revert]' scenarios.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.