post all your unconventional idea ! ( ONLY stock part )

This is an idea I had back in .90. The Lepton really showed off how messed up the old aero was, cause it flew just fine. Great, actually. It could do everything an STS clone could do, and it was more stable on top of that. It looked wonky as hell, but it was functional.

PHcyZhf.png

Of course, this thing almost certainly wouldn't work in the current aerodynamics system. It would take a lot of tinkering, at the very least.

Proof that it worked:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Using Airbrakes to secure docking.

http://i.imgur.com/PKjeBB4.png

Does that actually do anything once the ports are docked, or is it just for aesthetics? To my understanding collisions are generally checked only between vessels, not between parts of the same vessel. So I'd expect the airbrakes to happily clip through other parts if the vessel flexes.

OP, you method of docking, surpirsingly has been used since persistence was added, only the old method involved landing legs, which dosen't work now, and since we've got docking ports. Not to rain on your parade.

jENJZuL.png

Bring up oversize Modules in fairings with a large SSTO. Here its a Jool Tug, 4 LV-Ns attached to a MK3 liquidfueltank. A large size heatshield is in front of the tug, and a decoupler/ clamp for another LFO tug to pull the whole assembly (about 60m long finally) around in Kerbin SOI until the journey begins.

http://i.imgur.com/jENJZuL.png

Bring up oversize Modules in fairings with a large SSTO. Here its a Jool Tug, 4 LV-Ns attached to a MK3 liquidfueltank. A large size heatshield is in front of the tug, and a decoupler/ clamp for another LFO tug to pull the whole assembly (about 60m long finally) around in Kerbin SOI until the journey begins.

Great looking craft let down by something. Hmm what could it be?

Great looking craft let down by something. Hmm what could it be?

Perhaps too many fairings?

Kinda can tell from your banner...

Edited by R&DD

Lol, yeah. Great looking plane though. Is it inside the fairing?

From the look of it, no. I think the hub/tug had the fairings on it to be aerodynamic and was piggy-backing on the plane up to space... I also think the plane was decelerating when the fairings released, that would explain the spread.

Edited by R&DD

My most unconventional design that I can remember was a plan named the C-2 Rocket. While messing around with the new aerodynamics in 1.0, I built a plane to go as fast as I could. I put on really small wings so that it would have less drag, but as a result, it didn't have the lift required to fly at low speeds. To solve this, I went full Kerbal and strapped two S1 SRB-KD25k srbs to the side of it, slapped on four huge wings and called it good. Then, after finding that it had separation issues, I attached two RT-5s to act as powerful seperatrons.

lA3EQpN.png

Edited by TheTsar52

My most unconventional design that I can remember was a plan named the C-2 Rocket. While messing around with the new aerodynamics in 1.0, I built a plane to go as fast as I could. I put on really small wings so that it would have less drag, but as a result, it didn't have the lift required to fly at low speeds. To solve this, I went full Kerbal and strapped two S1 SRB-KD25k srbs to the side of it, slapped on four huge wings and called it good. Then, after finding that it had separation issues, I attached two RT-5s to act as powerful seperatrons.

http://i.imgur.com/lA3EQpN.png

That's pretty cool... do you have pictures in flight?

Lol, yeah. Great looking plane though. Is it inside the fairing?

Yes. here is a pic that explains more. This plane has the max load of 82.6tons LFO in MK3 tanks in the fairings.

The wings are swept up, the engines can be toggled asymetric verticaly to enable stable flight in any situation, hence the CoM and CoT differ while operation. I can show precise Pics if anybody is interested... the payload mount is also much variable, easy to do in SPH depending the size of desired modules/ tanks/ whatever.

Depending on the size of the Load some 3 Part or 5 Part fairing is mandatory, RCS downwards gently while opening, before circularisation burn so they dont end up as orbiting trash (obsolete, thanks Captain Sierra)

eROrCMN.png

vkYuiaS.png

The upper is the same plane body but with crewcapsule in front, 4 engines fewer, fewer LFO tank in front, depleted fairingmount detached and heatshield behind with airbrakes, after landing.

Edited by Mikki
obsolete, typo:)

before circularisation burn so they dont end up as orbiting trash.

stock fairings are non-persistent debris. They auto-delete after drifting a set distance away, or after unloading the scene, rendering the above step unnecessary. This was a gripe many people have with them and a key component as to why procedural fairings remains such a popular mod post 1.0.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.