What software do you guys use to make textures?

Go hardcore. Use zbrush:sticktongue:

in all fairness i use mostly use photoshop + filters for general texturing but the projection master in zb has a lot of nice texturing features. Combine it with a bit of surface sculpting you really got something.

GIMP + Blender bakes (shadow/light, AO, Norm, baking procedural textures onto a UV texture map occasionally). I totally forgot that I had the old free PS laying around, or I might have started learning and using that; but GIMP seems to do everything I need. Maybe someday I'll look into some of the real/professional tools to see what all the excitement is about :)

Some ppl also use mudbox for texture painting directly on your 3dmodel(projection painting).

I havent really tried it but its similar to the same feature available in blender and zbrush(projection master).

The advantage as i see it over flat texturing in ps/gimp is that you see the result as you paint. This is very useful for painting extra scratches etc. Tho some things like adding geometric shapes edge effects and patterns are much better done i ps/gimp imo.

Ofcource if you are just texturing other ppls models then ps/gimp might be the only thing you need.

As said texture baking(color/ao/normals/cavity from highpoly or directly from your lowpoly) is also very valuable in the texturing process but not required

Edited by landeTLS

• 4 weeks later...

Photoshop + Quixel Suite here. Quixel is especially cool, because you can import a 3D model and see all changes you make in real time. And it has a very nice collection of premade materials. For normals I use Blender baking and Quixel nDO. NVIDIA Photoshop plug-ins enable Photoshop to open edit and save .DDS files directly.

dAoAFRw.png

Edited by Enceos

Photoshop + Quixel Suite here. Quixel is especially cool, because you can import a 3D model and see all changes you make in real time. And it has a very nice collection of premade materials. For normals I use Blender baking and Quixel nDO. NVIDIA Photoshop plug-ins enable Photoshop to open edit and save .DDS files directly.

http://i.imgur.com/dAoAFRw.png

Wau that quixel looks good. I think I will try it to see the changes I made to the texture.

I use Photoshop. I believe CS2 is free these days.

So is CS6 if you download it from the "right" places. If you refer to CS2 (briefly) being available on the Adobe website with "enterprise" codes (not requiring activation), that was a mistake by Adobe; in no way has Adobe released CS2 into the public domain; it remains copyrighted (and is not available for free through Adobe).

Wau that quixel looks good. I think I will try it to see the changes I made to the texture.

Quixel 3DO is free. The rest of the suite is relatively cheap. I personally fell in love with both nDO and dDO, the second one requires some tutorial watching and experimenting before you can master it. They are currently building the Megascans library, some of the materials are already included with dDO.

Edited by Enceos

I've been working on a couple projects, but I can't seem to texture them well using GIMP. When you make your mods, what software do you use to texture them?

There's a GIMP plug-in to handle DDS files, but I do most of my texture work in Paint Shop Pro and then use GIMP as a converter. PSP does have layers and that is a useful tool, but if I were starting from scratch , no experience, I'd be inclined to concentrate on GIMP. I am constrained by my history.

There's a GIMP plug-in to handle DDS files, but I do most of my texture work in Paint Shop Pro and then use GIMP as a converter. PSP does have layers and that is a useful tool, but if I were starting from scratch , no experience, I'd be inclined to concentrate on GIMP. I am constrained by my history.

I get that. I used to use PSP for many years. Photoshop is much more powerful, but PSP does a lot of what you need. And of course GIMP is free. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.