The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

My Level 2 stock mission report here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135300-Jool-5-moons-or-bust?p=2222482#post2222482

- Which game versions did you use? 1.0.4

- What mods did you use, if any? MJ, KER, some ambient light fix thing, temperature warning mod

- How many Kerbals are on the mission? 2

- How many launches was needed to start your mission from Kerbal? 4

- How much did your mission cost? Quite a bit

- Did you needed a refueling mission? Yes

- Did you bring a Living Quarter (Hitch-hiker's Storage or Passenger Cabins) for the guys during the long journey? Nah, they roughed it

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc? Nope

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it! There's stuff in the album. It was lots and lots and lots.

- Any additional note or description? See the mission report post.

I have started designing a ship for the job! Hopefully I'll be able to start my mission soon ^^. For now it seems the mothership will be just under 300 tons (just me or is that a bit much?) anyway, Hopefully I'll post back in the not too distant future :P

And for all the others, Good Luck!

Stock Grand Tour Complete! Landed on all bodies in the game that one can land on (including Eve!). Deployed a manned science Rover on each landing. Mission was achieved with a single 600 ton launch. No staging was used outside of the Eve Lander, and all parts were returned to the surface of Kerbin with the exception of the Eve lander. ISRU was used to refuel along the way.

Only mods used were tools. Kerbal Engineer, Better Time Warp, Transfer Window Planner.

Hyperedit and the stock debug panel were, of course, not used during the mission

Turned out I had significantly more extra Delta V than I anticipated. I plan on making an updated version at some point with some fun optionals added. If anyone is interested in the .craft file let me know.

Time Lapse:

Much shorter edit with music:

https://youtu.be/jpn4IKX7IyY

- Which game versions did you use? 1.04

- What mods did you use, if any? Better Time Warp, Kerbal Engineer, Transfer Window Planner

- How many launches was needed to start your mission from Kerbal? 1

- How much did your mission cost? 496381 Launch Cost. Of this, 133769 goes towards the eve lander, the only part not returned to Kerbin.

- Did you needed a refueling mission? Only ISRU

- Did you bring a Living Quarter (Hitch-hiker's Storage or Passenger Cabins) for the guys during the long journey? No, but with the large excess of delta V I had, this could be done in a future mission

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc? Fully equipped science rover landed on each planet and moon

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it! The tightest part was making it from Kerbin to Minmus with the Eve Lander still attached. There was still plenty of Delta V extra, some more optionals could certainly be packed on, one could also reduce the liquid fuel packed during launch, as the nuclear engines are not burned that long.

- Any additional note or description?

With the detachable, redockable rover, One could collect science data from every biome in the game with this build. I was not playing from a fresh campaign so I only did a token Rover expedition on each planet and moon.

I wanted to Report the salvage value, but couldn't make sense of it. Here is the screenshot for someone who understands the calculation: https://gyazo.com/5390330a811ff94e84c83f610266c94a

One could remove the eve lander and put all sorts of payload on the top. Passenger Cabins, Satellites, Swimming Pools Etc.

Kerbal Engineer reports 6821 delta v. Actual results may vary. Uses both Nuclear and Conventional rocket engines, can use ISRU to refine ore mid flight.

Edited by EvermoreAlpaca

Hi sdj64 and all :)

Here is my entry for the "ISRU LEVEL" of the "ULTIMATE JOOL-5 CHALLENGE Continuation for KSP 1.0!":

The Plan:

Less than 300t ISRU SSTO Full science EXPLORER. to make the mission... and a little more xD

The Final Ship:

299,974 Kg

338,021 funds

91 parts

The Mission:

KSP 1.04, Full stock, only mods used: KER and Precise Node.

The B.O.B. successfully landed and refueled on Minmus, Moho, Gilly, Duna, Ike, Dres, Eeloo, Tylo, Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol, The Mun and.... Kerbin :)

Bob and Jeb are 56 years olders but still alive and at home xD

No KSP parts were too much hurt in the pictures (I removed the "before F9" pics xD )

Total cost: 27024 funds...

Added Science at the end: 16262.

Crew: 2 Kerbal

Launches: 1

Refueling: ISRU of course ^^

Additionnal Stuff: All science onboard.

I would like to Thank cubinator who's mission tempt me to do this ISRU entry challenge with almost the same type of SSTO :)

The Mission Report with full comments:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/134955-KSP-1-04-STOCK-ISRU-Mammoth-SSTO-Explorer-Almost-Gran-Tour

Fly safe with Val !

My Level 2 stock mission report here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135300-Jool-5-moons-or-bust?p=2222482#post2222482

- Which game versions did you use? 1.0.4

- What mods did you use, if any? MJ, KER, some ambient light fix thing, temperature warning mod

- How many launches was needed to start your mission from Kerbal? 4

- How much did your mission cost? Quite a bit

- Did you needed a refueling mission? Yes

- Did you bring a Living Quarter (Hitch-hiker's Storage or Passenger Cabins) for the guys during the long journey? Nah, they roughed it

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc? Nope

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it! There's stuff in the album. It was lots and lots and lots.

- Any additional note or description? See the mission report post.

Nice job, it's not easy to make a lander that can land on such a diverse set of moons. You have accomplished the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 2!

Stock Grand Tour Complete! Landed on all bodies in the game that one can land on (including Eve!). Deployed a manned science Rover on each landing. Mission was achieved with a single 600 ton launch. No staging was used outside of the Eve Lander, and all parts were returned to the surface of Kerbin with the exception of the Eve lander. ISRU was used to refuel along the way.

Only mods used were tools. Kerbal Engineer, Better Time Warp, Transfer Window Planner.

Hyperedit and the stock debug panel were, of course, not used during the mission

Turned out I had significantly more extra Delta V than I anticipated. I plan on making an updated version at some point with some fun optionals added. If anyone is interested in the .craft file let me know.

Time Lapse:

Much shorter edit with music:

https://youtu.be/jpn4IKX7IyY

- Which game versions did you use? 1.04

- What mods did you use, if any? Better Time Warp, Kerbal Engineer, Transfer Window Planner

- How many launches was needed to start your mission from Kerbal? 1

- How much did your mission cost? 496381 Launch Cost. Of this, 133769 goes towards the eve lander, the only part not returned to Kerbin.

- Did you needed a refueling mission? Only ISRU

- Did you bring a Living Quarter (Hitch-hiker's Storage or Passenger Cabins) for the guys during the long journey? No, but with the large excess of delta V I had, this could be done in a future mission

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc? Fully equipped science rover landed on each planet and moon

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it! The tightest part was making it from Kerbin to Minmus with the Eve Lander still attached. There was still plenty of Delta V extra, some more optionals could certainly be packed on, one could also reduce the liquid fuel packed during launch, as the nuclear engines are not burned that long.

- Any additional note or description?

With the detachable, redockable rover, One could collect science data from every biome in the game with this build. I was not playing from a fresh campaign so I only did a token Rover expedition on each planet and moon.

I wanted to Report the salvage value, but couldn't make sense of it. Here is the screenshot for someone who understands the calculation: https://gyazo.com/5390330a811ff94e84c83f610266c94a

One could remove the eve lander and put all sorts of payload on the top. Passenger Cabins, Satellites, Swimming Pools Etc.

Kerbal Engineer reports 6821 delta v. Actual results may vary. Uses both Nuclear and Conventional rocket engines, can use ISRU to refine ore mid flight.

Great mission! Our first full grand tour with ISRU! You have accomplished the Jool 5 Challenge on the ISRU level!

Hi sdj64 and all :)

Here is my entry for the "ISRU LEVEL" of the "ULTIMATE JOOL-5 CHALLENGE Continuation for KSP 1.0!":

The Plan:

Less than 300t ISRU SSTO Full science EXPLORER. to make the mission... and a little more xD

The Final Ship:

299,974 Kg

338,021 funds

91 parts

The Mission:

KSP 1.04, Full stock, only mods used: KER and Precise Node.

The B.O.B. successfully landed and refueled on Minmus, Moho, Gilly, Duna, Ike, Dres, Eeloo, Tylo, Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol, The Mun and.... Kerbin :)

Bob and Jeb are 56 years olders but still alive and at home xD

No KSP parts were too much hurt in the pictures (I removed the "before F9" pics xD )

Total cost: 27024 funds...

Added Science at the end: 16262.

Crew: 2 Kerbal

Launches: 1

Refueling: ISRU of course ^^

Additionnal Stuff: All science onboard.

I would like to Thank cubinator who's mission tempt me to do this ISRU entry challenge with almost the same type of SSTO :)

The Mission Report with full comments:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/134955-KSP-1-04-STOCK-ISRU-Mammoth-SSTO-Explorer-Almost-Gran-Tour

Fly safe with Val !

Another near-Grand Tour with a very stylish ISRU ship. Great job! You have accomplished the Jool 5 Challenge on the ISRU level!

Another question, can I use AIES Technologies for some parts on my rocket?

Unfortunately, these mods are both still balanced to 0.90 ISP values. That means they're too overpowered compared to stock now.

It might impair your ship's refueling rate but not its capability. It can still refuel to 100% with ISRU and this is not a timed challenge, so a size and weight improvement is in fact improving the ship's performance. The Mk2 to 2.5m adapter is a very under-utilized part, in my opinion. Try it out!

Thanks for all the submissions, everyone:

JebsDead, if you like to browse the forums without logging in, I sent you a message with a few questions about your video and once you're clear I can put your name on the leaderboard.

E805BzRo, congratulations on your successful mission at level 1! Your mothership and Laythe plane look great, and I like the apporach of using the final stage of the Tylo lander for the other airless moons.

John FX, That is a very very detailed album of your ship's assembly. The ship looks capable, let's see what you can do with it!

iLikeRovers, congratulations on your successful mission at level 2! Your landers looked great and I could see the focus on efficiency in all parts of the ship.

Well it turns out that the Jool 5 craft post 1.0 needs a redesign. The NERVA powering the lander tug are just producing too much heat and the RTGs are exploding during long burns, looks fixable with a slight redesign though. It also seems that the Laythe lander could do with some more chutes.

Will report back later...

Whats the difference between IRSU and Jeb's level, i mean which one is better in terms of the best level?

and does a Grand Tour count in Jeb's level?

Hi Crazy-Engineer :)

ISRU Level was added when ISRU became a Stock part of KSP...

I think The Best Historical level is Jeb's level WITHOUT ISRU !

(and best of the best a Jeb's level gran tour without ISRU)

For a Gran Tour to be in the Jeb's level Hall of fame, you must comply with the Jeb's level rules, without ISRU.

BTW, each level is already a real challenge, even with ISRU, so feel free to chose what you want, if you successfully meet the challenge, you really deserve the badge :)

But if you use ISRU in your mission, it will always be in the ISRU level.

Fly safe with Valentina !

Edited by astrobond

Whats the difference between IRSU and Jeb's level, i mean which one is better in terms of the best level?

and does a Grand Tour count in Jeb's level?

Hi Crazy-Engineer :)

ISRU Level was added when ISRU became a Stock part of KSP...

I think The Best Historical level is Jeb's level WITHOUT ISRU !

(and best of the best a Jeb's level gran tour without ISRU)

For a Gran Tour to be in the Jeb's level Hall of fame, you must comply with the Jeb's level rules, without ISRU.

BTW, each level is already a real challenge, even with ISRU, so feel free to chose what you want, if you successfully meet the challenge, you really deserve the badge :)

But if you use ISRU in your mission, it will always be in the ISRU level.

Fly safe with Valentina !

I just wanted to note that I removed the grand tour Jeb's Level heading from the leaderboards. Not because I don't want to recognize people who do it but because most people doing grand tours now are using ISRU (In Situ Resource Utilization - that means the drills, ore tanks, and converter). If you do want to do a grand tour without refueling, it is a seriously tough challenge that only few players have accomplished. And not a single one since KSP 1.0. I have an attempt in progress but it's slow going. Done the Mun and Minmus so far, but I might not have enough xenon to finish.

ISRU and Jeb's level pose different kinds of challenges. Jeb's level is more of a classic science/career style if you've played before KSP 1.0, while ISRU uses the new parts and refueling to hop from moon to moon. You can also gather science on the ISRU level if you want and your total will be noted in the leaderboard.

A grand tour in Jeb's level still needs to follow all the rules. That means no ISRU.

b9 aerospace has been updated to 1.0.2: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104966-1-0-2-B9-Aerospace-Procedural-Parts-0-40-Updated-09-06-15

But im still seeing b9 aerospace listed in orange

Edit: I noticed this is only the procedural parts ;.; , sorry and just ignore this post.

Edited by Crazy-Engineer

Can MK2 Essentials and MK2 Expansion be added to the allowed mods? Mk2 essentials basically adds reaction wheels, batteries and decouplers in the mk2 size, so I they aren't OP. MK2 Expansion adds plenty of other stuff, I'm not sure if it's overpowered or not, though.

I'm curious as to whether RemoteTech could be added as an allowed mod? As far as I remember it shouldn't interfere with the actual challenge since it involves a kerballed craft, while RT handles unkerballed vehicles - but it would be fun to have, imo.

Will try this with v. 1.0.4 one of these days, I think.

Minimal expedition with Val in progress: Laythe, Pol, Bop finished and looks like I have enough xenon for completing mission.

Start mass - only 18.821 t. Direct transfer to Jool (for Kerbin orbit -> Laythe orbit transfer I spent 2481 m/s of dV and 6264 units of xenon).

Craft on runway (with proud name - "Jovian fork" :D):

0onaoIr.jpg

On orbit, ready for departure:

wHnE8dIh.jpg

Normal ascent sequence - explosion of empty overheated tank with empty forward wings is a standard procedure in rocket science, do not worry

t7lo7Ash.jpg

Accurate detaching Laythe lander (be carefully, Val, do not destroy solar panels):

VRBOBZ2.jpg

A4f6skE.jpg

After Laythe landing

5UL6NdQ.jpg

Pol landing:

3jrv1f6.jpg

Minimal expedition with Val in progress: Laythe, Pol, Bop finished and looks like I have enough xenon for completing mission.

Start mass - only 18.821 t. Direct transfer to Jool (for Kerbin orbit -> Laythe orbit transfer I spent 2481 m/s of dV and 6264 units of xenon).

Craft on runway (with proud name - "Jovian fork" :D):

http://i.imgur.com/0onaoIr.jpg

On orbit, ready for departure:

http://i.imgur.com/wHnE8dIh.jpg

Normal ascent sequence - explosion of empty overheated tank with empty forward wings is a standard procedure in rocket science, do not worry

http://i.imgur.com/t7lo7Ash.jpg

Accurate detaching Laythe lander (be carefully, Val, do not destroy solar panels):

http://i.imgur.com/VRBOBZ2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/A4f6skE.jpg

After Laythe landing

http://i.imgur.com/5UL6NdQ.jpg

Pol landing:

http://i.imgur.com/3jrv1f6.jpg

Mightily impressive craft! How long was the longest burn time?

Mesklin... just WOW ^^

I love the "Normal ascent sequence - explosion of empty overheated tank with empty forward wings is a standard procedure in rocket science, do not worry" ;)

Totally Kerbal !

Still Tylo to do...

Fly safe with Valentina ;)

Jool 5 Challenge: "Voyage of the Nautilus"

ISRU, SSTO Everything, Life Support, 6 Kerbals, 4 years round trip.

Here is my submission for the ISRU level:

All the details can be found in the Mission Reports thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/136816-Jool-5-Challenge-Voyage-of-the-Nautilus?p=2246049#post2246049

Enjoy

-EBAO

QmrIvEH.png

Edited by EBAO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.