The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

6 hours ago, Crazy-Engineer said:

Also can i re-purpose the mothership's engine for a lander?

It would be fun to try this challenge with only a single engine on the entire ship.   Or has that already been done on the irsu level?  

There isn't a vital community thread anywhere for Grand Tours, so I feel like this one has adopted them in a way.  This was originally planned as a low mass eve mission, and evolved from my previous lightweight eve design.  It already had ISRU to refuel via minmus on route to Eve, so converting it into a true grand tour mining ship wasn't that far of a stretch.  

Launch Weight is 25,129 kg with 66 parts.

Lands on all planets and moons

Single Stage excepting air breathing engines detached on Kerbin ascent and Eve Lander.

ISRU refueling employed everywhere but Eve.

Grand tour took slightly under 39 years.  I wasn't going for speed in particular, but I did want to make sure it wasn't absurdly long.

Edited by EvermoreAlpaca

5 hours ago, EvermoreAlpaca said:

There isn't a vital community thread anywhere for Grand Tours, so I feel like this one has adopted them in a way.  This was originally planned as a low mass eve mission, and evolved from my previous lightweight eve design.  It already had ISRU to refuel via minmus on route to Eve, so converting it into a true grand tour mining ship wasn't that far of a stretch.  

Single Stage excepting air breathing engines detached on Kerbin ascent and Eve Lander.

Grand tour took slightly under 39 years.  I wasn't going for speed in particular, but I did want to make sure it wasn't absurdly long.

An Imgur Album Wud be nice
Anyways nice tour, tats one sleek looking SSTO plane :)

On 12/27/2015 at 1:26 PM, EvermoreAlpaca said:

Wow!

Just amazing! The Eve lander is so tiny!

I tried something similar in 1.0.4 when there was no small ISRU and drills. My plane was 50 t, and I failed to do Eve.
You Eve solution is brilliant. :lol:

Edited by Teilnehmer

On 12/27/2015 at 2:26 AM, EvermoreAlpaca said:

Great job!  Excellent video and music selection, and a very well engineered craft.  Of course we at the Jool 5 welcome adopted Grand Tours, but only if they do conform to the rules.  One is "no seats for interplanetary transfers" and also that Hyperedit button was looking at me funny...

Sorry but though it is really impressive it can't go on the leaderboard.

On 12/27/2015 at 8:04 AM, Crazy-Engineer said:

Is Realchutes mod Allowed, cause my stock parachutes wont slow down due to some kinda FAR bug
Somehow Realchutes seem to work...

Yes, realchutes is allowed.

No worries mate, It wasn't designed with this challenge in mind, and I already completed the challenge with another mission, I just figured the folks here would be interested.  Good point on the seats rule.0.  As for hyperedit, I can't imagine who would want to do a large scale mission without testing it first.

Here's my Vall trip. Again, the whole Vall piece of the JoolCano -5 can be found in the mission report, but the trip to and from Vall is below. :D

Heading from Laythe Orbit to Vall

Returning from Vall Surface back to the Mothership at Laythe

17 hours ago, Mods_o_joy said:

Why is KAS/KIS not allowed?, and the Bobcat Soviet engine's, and why cant we Mine resources to refuel?

They didnt say u cant mine, just that mining resources scores you on ISRU Level.
And as for Bobcat Soviet engine's, i was the one who suggested it and apparently it is overpowered
And Im not sure why KAS/KIS isn't allowed

Important announcement, everyone!

So I've been thinking recently about KAS/KIS because many people have requested it and I have decided to reverse my earlier decision.  Despite offering some advantages over stock gameplay (allowing you to reuse certain parts and modify craft to reduce weight or change functionality, especially in combination with other mods), KAS and KIS are now allowed.  I've also added a few other mods that depend on them.  If you have a question about a KIS dependent mod, please ask again and provide a link so it can be added to the list!

Remember that the low mass sub-challenge is STOCK only (information mods are still allowed).

On 1/6/2016 at 11:41 AM, DMSP said:

Pathfinder is allowed now on ISRU submissions.  I can't tell from its forum post whether it adds new ways to gain science but it doesn't matter really since ISRU submissions are not scored on science.

Edited by sdj64
bolded "KAS and KIS are now allowed" to make it more clear

Couple of quick questions.

Is mechjeb allowed for construction, everything else I could probably do and or figure out but docking has always been a challenge.

Can I use Hyperedit to check if a lander is viable before attaching it to my to and fro vessel? ( I don't mean attaching it with hyper edit, I merely mean checking wether it is viable.)

Is quantum struts allowed?

(If these have already been asked I apologize.)

Edited by The Space Core

mechjeb is allowed.

You can do anything you want using any mods you want as long it is not part of the actual mission.   Most of us test the landers with help of hyperedit or save editing before going to Jool

8 hours ago, Nefrums said:

mechjeb is allowed.

You can do anything you want using any mods you want as long it is not part of the actual mission.   Most of us test the landers with help of hyperedit or save editing before going to Jool

Got it! What about quantum struts though?

Damnit, spent 7~ hours today doing 2 launches (main ship had 850 parts and literally took 4 hours to orbit it, running KSP on a calculator :P)

While building the main ship I went with LV-N's for interplanetary phase and removed all oxidizer from all tanks except launch phase (which I used mammoths). My plan was to use a lander for all 5 moons, while refueling from the mothership in between.

So I got to orbit and double checked my resources.. 1400~ oxidizer...

Sigh.. Back to the drawing board, and will restart my launch tomorrow. So far I've had a lot of fun designing! Glad I found this part of the forum, kept me from going insane in career mode.

3 hours ago, Hexlord said:

Damnit, spent 7~ hours today doing 2 launches (main ship had 850 parts and literally took 4 hours to orbit it, running KSP on a calculator :P)

While building the main ship I went with LV-N's for interplanetary phase and removed all oxidizer from all tanks except launch phase (which I used mammoths). My plan was to use a lander for all 5 moons, while refueling from the mothership in between.

So I got to orbit and double checked my resources.. 1400~ oxidizer...

Sigh.. Back to the drawing board, and will restart my launch tomorrow. So far I've had a lot of fun designing! Glad I found this part of the forum, kept me from going insane in career mode.

You can get that mod that allows for dumping of fuels it was allowed.

@sdj64

Hi there, it is done. And i am done too now.

I think i made the Jebediah level with ISRU style (Valentina landed any moon), my updated link in the post above shows the required details.

Greetings Mikki, i go back to Duna now, Jeb is bored after 10 years hanging around there with the guys...:D

Could OSE Workshop be allowed?

It's a mod that allows you to 3D print parts, and works with KIS and KAS.

It requires fuel and resources to work, and each part takes a while to print. It can't make fuel or anything.

Thanks, even if it's not allowed, I'm still making this mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.