The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

I'm working on a submission for this challenge. Currently trying to polish things up and follow the rules. In doing so, I encountered three instances of part clipping, as seen in the three images in this Imgur album. The first one is an instance of a strut clipping through a fairing. The second is an instance of a separator clipping into a external command seat, and the third is a minor case of a radial parachute clipping into a radial decoupler. Might not even be visible from the image. Is any one of these in violation of the rules? Thanks in advance.

Hi all, sorry for the lack of comments recently, I've moved and had problems with internet this past week with no end in sight.  For those few with pending submissions I'm working on them when I get the time and bandwidth.

Drills should not be clipped when they are retracted.  It is okay if they clip when they are moving to the deployed position or when deployed.  Mk2 Expansion is exactly as SpaceplaneAddict said.

Thanks for checking, IncongruousGoat, all three of those are fine.  Any clipping of structural parts through fairings is okay because they are buggy with regards to when and where you can place struts.

On 1/3/2016 at 4:07 PM, Mikki said:

Congratulations Mikki, you have completed the challenge on the ISRU level!  I liked your prepared-for-anything approach and seeing how you approached the logistics of refueling.  

18 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

OF COURSE! This mod looks awesome!  And it's using the stock system and is balanced to stock so it will be allowed (only on the ISRU level of course).

@sdj64

Hi :)

I'm making a new SSTO for the ISRU Jool 5 Challenge to try the mission in my 1.05 hard mode career:

LEB3iPW.jpg

But before to start the mission, i would like to know if the "Drill-O-Matic" and the "Convert-O-Tron" in the two pictures below are ok with the clipping rules of this challenge ?

J9Pgxgv.jpgy53pPzf.jpg

Thank's for getting a look :)

Fly safe with Valentina !

Edited by astrobond

OH MY GOSH!!!

2 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Congratulations Mikki, you have completed the challenge on the ISRU level!  I liked your prepared-for-anything approach and seeing how you approached the logistics of refueling...

Thank you so much!!! :)      YESSSSS!!!! :confused: :0.0: :D :rolleyes: :confused: SO MUCH YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello!

Here is my submission to the Jool 5 challenge!

The mission was conducted in version 1.05, completely stock.

3 kerbals came along for the ride, Jeb as a pilot, Bob as a scientist & navigator, and Bill as a passenger along for the ride.

The mission was 1 launch from Kerbin, with no refueling. Total mission cost was 732,680 funds.

No additional rovers, probes, etc were brought along.

This was completed in Career mode in a legitimate save-no cheating in of money or funds here!

Sorry for not providing video, but I suspect my computer would have choked if I tried to do that. The game was already running disgustingly slowly-just getting to LKO took over an hour.

Oh, and there is a typo in the album. I really did mean solar, not soalr. Sorry.

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

On 1/24/2016 at 2:52 PM, IncongruousGoat said:

Hello!

Here is my submission to the Jool 5 challenge!

The mission was conducted in version 1.05, completely stock.

3 kerbals came along for the ride, Jeb as a pilot, Bob as a scientist & navigator, and Bill as a passenger along for the ride.

The mission was 1 launch from Kerbin, with no refueling. Total mission cost was 732,680 funds.

No additional rovers, probes, etc were brought along.

This was completed in Career mode in a legitimate save-no cheating in of money or funds here!

Sorry for not providing video, but I suspect my computer would have choked if I tried to do that. The game was already running disgustingly slowly-just getting to LKO took over an hour.

Oh, and there is a typo in the album. I really did mean solar, not soalr. Sorry.

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

Congratulations, IncongruousGoat, you have completed the Jool 5 challenge on Level 1!  Your mission reminds me of some of the really early Jool 5s when there were no Kerbodyne engines, but of course that's because you didn't unlock them yet!  Great job making do without some of the most powerful parts researched.

@astrobond The amount of clipping looks pretty minimal, you're good to go.

13 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Congratulations, IncongruousGoat, you have completed the Jool 5 challenge on Level 1!  Your mission reminds me of some of the really early Jool 5s when there were no Kerbodyne engines, but of course that's because you didn't unlock them yet!  Great job making do without some of the most powerful parts researched.

@astrobond The amount of clipping looks pretty minimal, you're good to go.

*blinks* *blinks again* *rubs eyes* 

I... got accepted? HUZZAH!

Ok. part 1. I don't know how many parts there will be but there will probably be around 4 for the assembly alone because this album represents about 25% of the screen captures that I have of the assembly. I haven't completed the whole mission yet but Taranis Transfer is currently en route to Jool. 

A little on the name: Taranis is the Celtic god of thunder. I originally had everything named "Jool XXXX" but decided that I wanted it to be more flavorful and started looking through Wikipedia's list of deities for inspiration. I think I'll have a mission named after a bunch of Norse or Egyptian gods at some point with each module named after a different god but that's for the future and will probably happen after 1.1 drops.

Anyway, if the judging panel wishes for more screen shots or any of the lift vehicles be re-flown, I can oblige but the payloads are what they are. Honestly, the most agonizing part was docking everything together and I feel like I documented that pretty well. 

On 29/1/2016 at 3:07 PM, astrobond said:

Hi all :)

I started a Mission Report, that's just the beginning, but if someone want's to get a look, that's here ;) :

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/130960-isru-rhino-ssto-explorer-mk1-jool-5-mission/

I will update as soon as i go further in the mission...

Fly safe with Valentina :)

Chapter two uploaded :) (Vall and Laythe ok)

Edited by astrobond

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.