The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

On 22/03/2016 at 7:34 AM, Nathaniel411 said:

I wish the cargo bays were larger :( I wanted to fit a plane inside for laythe but ended up the wings going through it. I had to put it outside ;.;

I recon I could build you a lathe capable ssto that'll fit in a large cargo bay.  I think I've done it before.  I'd need to check.

14 hours ago, Fellow314 said:

I recon I could build you a lathe capable ssto that'll fit in a large cargo bay.  I think I've done it before.  I'd need to check.

wuuut a cargo bay capable ssto with no part clipping, cud u link it i really wanna see one cause im horrible with aero :( and yet i've got FAR on :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Crazy-Engineer said:

wuuut a cargo bay capable ssto with no part clipping, cud u link it i really wanna see one cause im horrible with aero :( and yet i've got FAR on :rolleyes:

Well, I couldn't find one in this version so I got a bit carried away and stayed up too late.

There is clipping, I'm afraid, sorry.  Not of the utterly outrageous type but it's definitely there.  I think a non-clipped version's possible, but it would have to be longer.

It works on Kerbin and on Laythe.  Landing on Laythe requires a downhill landing site though.  De-orbit is with the RCS  It would need more solar panels or an RTG for use on Laythe beyond testing as the pair of panels really struggled that far from the sun.

The launch profile's a bit old school. :)

(Edit - Just seen you have FAR on.  I've never used it.  I suspect that the design will fail fairly quickly under the more rigorous demands of FAR :D )

77KTc7X.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlmlmpvxyva65tt/SSTOIAB%20NMJ.craft?dl=0

Edited by Fellow314

wuuut a cargo bay capable ssto with no part clipping

Well, depends on your concept of an SSTO. Some people inherently thing "spaceplane" when they say SSTO, so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. But since Fellow314 posted something similar above, here's my most recent Laythe SSTO (which I used in my Jool5 submission). It's a bit tighter on fuel than I intended.

anYSxPg.jpg

There are a lot of options available for cargo bay sized SSTOs if you aren't meaning "with wings" (which you said in a previous post). Even with wings, you can still get away with small designs, but you sometimes have to work hard to drive down the size.

4 minutes ago, Claw said:

Well, depends on your concept of an SSTO. Some people inherently thing "spaceplane" when they say SSTO, so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. But since Fellow314 posted something similar above, here's my most recent Laythe SSTO (which I used in my Jool5 submission). It's a bit tighter on fuel than I intended.

There are a lot of options available for cargo bay sized SSTOs if you aren't meaning "with wings" (which you said in a previous post). Even with wings, you can still get away with small designs, but you sometimes have to work hard to drive down the size.

Very true.  The design I posted above only really needs the wings for landing (and because I like spaceplane SSTOs :) )  It would probably be more efficient to take the wings off and put legs and a parachute on it :)   It might be a little hotter on re-entry without the wings though.

Edited by Fellow314

Here's my submission finally

ALSO- I had hyperedit installed but DID NOT USE IT. I used it to test the landers and if necessary will make additional videos proving all my landers work.

- Which game versions did you use?

I used KSP version 1.0.5

- What mods did you use, if any?

I had texture replacer for the spacesuits and KER for delta-v measurements.

- How many Kerbals are on the mission?

Halman Kerman was the only kerbal who went on the ship. (both attempts)

- How many launches was needed to start your mission from Kerbin?

1 launch.

- How much did your mission cost?

727773.6 funds was the final cost of the mission.

- Did you needed a refueling mission?

I did not need to send a refueling mission.

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc?

I did bring an ION lander that i ditched there as a Pol/Bop lander/escape pod back to Kerbin but besides that no.

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it!

It is in the bottom of the video near the Nav-ball and I talked about it in the beginning of the video.

- Any additional note or description?

My ship was called the Joolius Caesar III. 1 Launch, 6 moons. After coming back to Kerbin I risked it by going to Minmus where the lander made it's final landing and is now stranded in orbit. I made it back to Kerbin with only 500 delta-v left.

2 minutes ago, Fellow314 said:

It would probably be more efficient to take the wings off and put legs and a parachute on it

Yeah. It's not apparent in that picture, but the nose was the landing parachute stack (jettisoned before takeoff). I originally was also going to jettison the landing legs, but turns out it was better to keep them for aero stability on this little craft. The blunt nose ended up being more of an issue than I expected (hence the "lighter on fuel").

1 minute ago, Claw said:

Yeah. It's not apparent in that picture, but the nose was the landing parachute stack (jettisoned before takeoff). I originally was also going to jettison the landing legs, but turns out it was better to keep them for aero stability on this little craft. The blunt nose ended up being more of an issue than I expected (hence the "lighter on fuel").

That's a very neat design next to my over-complicated variant.

in 0.x nosecones were mostly optional.  It seems in 1.0 poor aerodynamics will punish you.

On 3/27/2016 at 8:21 PM, Claw said:

Ahh the toroidal clipping exploit, i think this is allowed for this challenge as sdj64's submission did include this
either ways tats one simple and cool design, i like it ^_^
well as for SSTO it means any Single Stage To Orbit vehicle even if its a brick (doesn't necessarily have to have wings)

Just now, Crazy-Engineer said:

Ahh the toroidal clipping exploit

I'm not sure what you mean by clipping exploit. They are stacked on the nodes and attached to the bottom of the service bay. I do like the shiny gold, and it turns out the aerospike makes for great Laythe reentry protection. :P

I do share the same SSTO definition as you, but not everyone on the forum thinks of "SSTO" the same. There are quite a few that mean "with wings," which was sort of alluded to in an earlier post.

2 minutes ago, Crazy-Engineer said:

no-offense im just a part clip hater 

I take no offense from your comment, and you can hate clipping all you want. I'm just saying that I've attached them at the nodes with zero offset. So I don't know what exploit you are talking about. Also, stock KSP makes no effort to conceal parts from the aero model based on clipping. So even if clipping is done, it doesn't provide any aerodynamic exploit unless it's used to overlap things inside a cargo bay..

wait so toroidal's dnt burn up on re-entry?

They'll burn up if they aren't hidden behind something. In the case of my lander, the Aerospike acted as the "heat shield" during reentry. It went in aerospike first.

FmQUa0Z.jpg

Tweakscale is not allowed, because resizing engines is an overpowered ability, and it makes it much harder to see how big someone's craft is.  With hundreds of screenshots per mission it's really important that I can see at a glance, for example "that's a Rockomax tank, so the lander must be 2.5m."  This supersedes my previous comment "if all you're doing is resizing tanks, go ahead" because I realized how much more confusing it would be to judge entries.  There are plenty of mods for more tanks if you feel lacking in tanks of a certain size.

Atomic Age is not allowed, due to the 1500 Isp Lightbulb engine.

Ven's Stock Revamp is allowed.

@Claw @Crazy-Engineer There is a good deal of volume clipping on stacked toroidal tanks but that's Squad's decision to put the nodes there, not mine.  It is allowed for this challenge.

Edited by sdj64
forgot VSR

@Byronacles, @EvermoreAlpaca, and @Draradech, congratulations on completing the Jool-5 Challenge!

Byronacles, your Level 3 mission was clean and simple, and I liked the style of the long thin external tanks.  From your album it looked like you had a lot of fun with the mission!

EvermoreAlpaca, another extremely impressive mission completed on Level 1.  Now you're just showing off!  Just kidding of course.  Your skill in design and flying is absolutely exemplary, and your video does a great job of explaining all that's going on.

Draradech, great job on Jeb's Level.  One of the most massive missions yet it looked very low on part count for the size.  Awesome rescue on Kerbin escape trajectory at the end!

Thank you for your patience Claw and JacobJHC, your entries will be reviewed soon...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.