The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

23 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Mod query: I'd like permission to use Mk2/Mk3 Stockalike Expansion. :) Or to know if they're banned.

Currently banned.  I am thinking about changing the way the mod list works for 1.2 though, it's gotten very clunky and has been the most time consuming part of the challenge to manage.  So there may be changes.

5 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Waiting for 1.2 to give this a go. I've been to 3 moons in one mission, but not all 5. I think I can do it.

I'm sticking with 1.1.3 myself...  I've played out games with Remotech and don't really want to add that level of challenge.  Doubly so since my mission architecture depends so heavily on unkerbaled flights.

1 hour ago, DerekL1963 said:

I'm sticking with 1.1.3 myself...  I've played out games with Remotech and don't really want to add that level of challenge.  Doubly so since my mission architecture depends so heavily on unkerbaled flights.

Well if the mission has at least one crew member on the mothership and one on the lander and/or any other ships than comms won't be needed unless it's a hitchhiker pod or a seat.

3 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Well if the mission has at least one crew member on the mothership and one on the lander and/or any other ships than comms won't be needed unless it's a hitchhiker pod or a seat.

True, but that doesn't really match what I want to do.

On 10/2/2016 at 3:19 AM, sdj64 said:

I am thinking about changing the way the mod list works for 1.2 though, it's gotten very clunky and has been the most time consuming part of the challenge to manage.  So there may be changes.

There's something that I've been wondering about the way science returns are handled, and since you mention rethinking how modded entries work, I think this is a good time to bring it up.

Perhaps it may be a good idea to have two categories for highest science returns: one category for stock science equipment, and another category for science-focused attempts with permitted science equipment mods installed. It's a very different challenge to design a lander that contains all of the stock equipment than it is to design one that contains all of the stock equipment plus all that DMagic provides (I'm not referencing other mods here because I'm not sure if there are any other allowed ones that add in science equipment). DMagic also has some very large pieces of equipment for orbital science that (and I can speak from experience here) are very much a pain to attach to a vehicle other than a dedicated science satellite. The option for modded science gathering attempts might also make rovers more worthwhile, since there's so much added benefit to a half-hour drive to the next biome.

1.2 has arrived!  And with it, some new and improved rules, designed to make your Jool 5 experience easy and hassle-free.  As always, there is nothing banned in the new rules that was previously allowed, so your in-progress designs do not need to be changed.

I know that there will be some backlash especially with the mod list decision.  The change will hopefully bring more variety and encourage more players to attempt this challenge if they don't have to leave behind their favorite mods.  There were relatively few attempts in 1.1, so hopefully this change will bring more people to take on the Jool 5.

I hope that the change does not cheapen the accomplishment for those who accomplished it already.  Like the majority of challenges that allow mods, there will be a note STOCK or MODDED in the descriptions for all of the upcoming 1.2 entries.

@DerekL1963 all of the mods on your list are allowed (both in 1.1.3 before the rule change and in 1.2 after).

27 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

@DerekL1963 all of the mods on your list are allowed (both in 1.1.3 before the rule change and in 1.2 after).

Thanks!  I've done all my practice runs and setup in 1.1.3...  and as much as I'd love to be one of the first to climb on the 1.2 board, I'm going to dance with the one I'm with as it were.

I like the new rules setup, better to just have once category ("banned").  Makes your life much easier.

My crazy SSTO Space Carrier has made it to Minmus!  At about 140 dV short, but Jeb's still grinning despite the bridge being the only part still in one piece.

Kk3dSBo.png

With careful piloting, I should be able to pull this off!

Edited by sdj64

And were done:  http://imgur.com/a/mK5Ij

Mother ship and all landers are single stage.

Guess this is the first entry in 1.2?    Is this the first fulle reusable entry wo ISRU?

5 Kerbals where on the mission, 1-2 landed on each moon.

Mods: KER, mechJeb, PreciseNode

dV info: Hard to say with airbreathing engines, but the mothership had over 4 km/s dV in LKO.  Tylo/Vall lander had little over 5km/s and the ion lander had over 9km/s.

Flawless as always, @Nefrums.  Congratulations, you are the first finisher of the Jool 5 Challenge in 1.2, on level 3!  I am not sure but I do think it's the first non-ISRU fully reusable entry. There has been one before, EvermoreAlpaca's modular grand tour in 1.0.5.  Great job with the compact landers and fitting everything into one Mk3 cargo bay, and an impressively small plane overall.

Edited by sdj64
corrected mistake

6 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Flawless as always, @Nefrums.  Congratulations, you are the first finisher of the Jool 5 Challenge in 1.2, on level 3!  I am not sure but I do think it's the first non-ISRU fully reusable entry.  Great job with the compact landers and fitting everything into one Mk3 cargo bay, and an impressively small plane overall.

Thanks. It is accuatly two Cargo bays, one large and one small.

6 hours ago, Nefrums said:

Thanks. It is accuatly two Cargo bays, one large and one small.

Oh, I didn't catch that.  It does have 5 sections...

Also, I have successfully landed my carrier on Minmus!  Now the real mission can begin!  The goal for the mission is to go to every biome in the Jool system for maximum science points (I will see if the ship can make it back from low Jool atmosphere.  Probably it can't since it will overheat and also not have enough fuel to return).  As a bonus, it has a crew capacity of 35, and 25 Kerbals are on board.  Its SSTO ability with all chemical rockets means that the whole carrier can land on every moon.  As you can see, it uses ISRU, it also carries a plane, rover, and lander that can be refueled from the ship.

I will probably start a thread in mission reports soon, to avoid repeatedly posting here.

tcYCZTl.png

On 6/1/2015 at 10:51 AM, sdj64 said:

2. No part-clipping of functional parts (fuel tanks, batteries, crew pods, engines, science parts, SAS) into each other. It is okay to clip structural and non-functional parts, wings, and heat shields.

Do nosecones count as non functional parts? Here's a picture of what I have so far..

4HJNhsR.png

On 10/17/2016 at 8:47 PM, sdj64 said:

I am not sure but I do think it's the first non-ISRU fully reusable entry

I think @EvermoreAlpaca did this before but either way @Nefrums that is absolutely amazing. I can't even build a cargo SSTO much less a Jool 5 variant. Excellent work, as ever.

On 18/10/2016 at 3:49 PM, sdj64 said:

Also, I have successfully landed my carrier on Minmus!  Now the real mission can begin!  The goal for the mission is to go to every biome in the Jool system for maximum science points (I will see if the ship can make it back from low Jool atmosphere.  Probably it can't since it will overheat and also not have enough fuel to return).  As a bonus, it has a crew capacity of 35, and 25 Kerbals are on board.  Its SSTO ability with all chemical rockets means that the whole carrier can land on every moon.  As you can see, it uses ISRU, it also carries a plane, rover, and lander that can be refueled from the ship.

OMG, that's my dream ship right there! My own interplanetary ISRU SSTO made it to Laythe but was about 50 m/s short of being able to reach Vall from there and I abandoned it a couple of months ago. You've really made my fingers itchy to go and try my hand at a better version :wink:

8 hours ago, McQuacker said:

OMG, that's my dream ship right there! My own interplanetary ISRU SSTO made it to Laythe but was about 50 m/s short of being able to reach Vall from there and I abandoned it a couple of months ago. You've really made my fingers itchy to go and try my hand at a better version :wink:

Go to Pol first!  Vall is much higher on delta V since you have to spend about 1000 getting from orbit to the surface.  Despite being farther, Pol is much lower gravity and you can use a Tylo gravity assist to get there.  My ship probably wouldn't be able to go direct from Laythe to Vall either.  From any moon, Pol is the easiest refueling stop especially with gravity assists to help you out.

17 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Go to Pol first!  Vall is much higher on delta V since you have to spend about 1000 getting from orbit to the surface.  Despite being farther, Pol is much lower gravity and you can use a Tylo gravity assist to get there.  My ship probably wouldn't be able to go direct from Laythe to Vall either.  From any moon, Pol is the easiest refueling stop especially with gravity assists to help you out.

0.o I'd never even considered that. I'll be sure to try - with my NEWER, AWESOMERDER AND SHINIER spaceplane :D

A quick update on my submission-in-progress: I have initiated a flyby of Laythe putting me into orbit where I will flyby laythe 2 successive times and then by Tylo. I am considering dropping landers off early but I will need the ion shuttle for Laythe, I might b able to balance it though. If not the mothership can easily get the job done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.