The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

I think I`ll have a go if only to make my Jool 5 badge valid post 1.0 (although I suspect the same designs won`t need too much adjustment as I did it with FAR and DRE)

I`ll report back when I get the time to redo all of it...

EDIT : Preliminary reports suggest that the lifters have had to be beefed up to account for the Isp atmo changes post 1.0 which has increased costs by a fair amount.

Edited by John FX

My current Jeb level, SSTO, ISRU, Jool 5 mission has passed all major events. All these is left is to refuel on Pol and punch it for a one year return trip home. (Then edit gobs of video into something watchable). Hopefully I will post early next week.

Never done the Jool 5, so thought it was about time I did.

I see the 2nd level is unclaimed so far, so I'll have a try at that.

I expect someone has tried this way before but it's new to me: I'm going to use one rocket lander for all five moons, with no chutes or aerobraking, just straight down and back up on rockets. I've done some limited testing in the flight-sim (hyperedited to orbit and tested) and it seems like it might work OK. I'm also going to use a nuclear tug to deposit the lander in orbit and collect it again. The tug will ferry the lander each time to and from a centrally (as yet undecided) location in the Jool system to rendezvous with a mother ship with loads of fuel on board.

So far I have put the lander and tug in HKO. Next bit will be to put the mothership up there too, then dock it up and fly the whole thing to the Jool system.

Any input gratefully appreciated!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Never done the Jool 5, so thought it was about time I did.

I see the 2nd level is unclaimed so far, so I'll have a try at that.

I expect someone has tried this way before but it's new to me: I'm going to use one rocket lander for all five moons, with no chutes or aerobraking, just straight down and back up on rockets. I've done some limited testing in the flight-sim (hyperedited to orbit and tested) and it seems like it might work OK. I'm also going to use a nuclear tug to deposit the lander in orbit and collect it again. The tug will ferry the lander each time to and from a centrally (as yet undecided) location in the Jool system to rendezvous with a mother ship with loads of fuel on board.

So far I have put the lander and tug in HKO. Next bit will be to put the mothership up there too, then dock it up and fly the whole thing to the Jool system.

Any input gratefully appreciated!

http://imgur.com/a/7Cw3j

Hi Foxster and welcome to this big challenge :)

Your mission should be ok !

If you have enough dV and TWR to land your 4 spikes lander and go back to tylo orbit, and as you seems to have good aerodynamics, Laythe should be Ok too :)

(I hope you also tried your lander on the simu in atmospheric landing, because without chutes that can be hard to keep aligned on retrograde vector...)

The other three Jool moons are really easier ^^

BTW I just landed my B.O.B. stock ISRU on Tylo, i hope that will be ok too for Laythe without chutes... xD

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/134955-KSP-1-04-STOCK-ISRU-Mammoth-SSTO-Explorer-Almost-Gran-Tour

Then i'll try to finish my almost gran tour and i hope i'll be in this challenge on the ISRU part :)

Fly safe with Valentina !

Edited by astrobond

Hi Foxster and welcome to this big challenge :)

Your mission should be ok !

If you have enough dV and TWR to land your 4 spikes lander and go back to tylo orbit, and as you seems to have good aerodynamics, Laythe should be Ok too :)

(I hope you also tried your lander on the simu in atmospheric landing, because without chutes that can be hard to keep aligned on retrograde vector...)

The other three Jool moons are really easier ^^

BTW I just landed my B.O.B. stock ISRU on Tylo, i hope that will be ok too for Laythe without chutes... xD

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/134955-KSP-1-04-STOCK-ISRU-Mammoth-SSTO-Explorer-Almost-Gran-Tour

Then i'll try to finish my almost gran tour and i hope i'll be in this challenge on the ISRU part :)

Fly safe with Valentina !

Thanks for the welcome.

Any suggestions for the best place to park my mothership? Needs to be somewhere that my tug can tow the lander to and back from each moon with a minimum of dV.

Thanks for the welcome.

Any suggestions for the best place to park my mothership? Needs to be somewhere that my tug can tow the lander to and back from each moon with a minimum of dV.

Hi again :)

Hard for me to find the best answer... I usually make standards orbits with mothership+lander(s).

From what i readed on this forum, if you have enough dV on the lander and to keep as much fuel as possible on the mothership, you can make maximal elliptical orbits with the mothership (and minimal capture burn) but that will need more fuel on the lander to land (more speed at PE) and to make the "rendez-vous" after re-orbit.

You can also park the mothership in a Jool orbit (maybe above Tylo Orbit or near Vall Orbit, don't know what is best) and use Tylo and/or Laythe gravity assist to go where you want and back to the parking orbit, but i never tested this kind of parking orbit ^^

BTW, gravity assists in Jool system can save a LOT of fuel, so you almost always can find a solution to finish the mission :)

Hope this help ;)

Edited by astrobond

Having done this once I found it most expedient to allow myself to be guided by whichever encounter allowed me to gain the encounters and orbit adjustments i needed. A tug with enough Dv will get your lander from any moon to any other moon. Just get your mothership to an orbit just outside tylo and send your lander to and fro from there.

Well an update to my attempt is an album showing the construction of my interplanetary craft.

The next album will show travel to the Joolian system

Edited by John FX

I've been working on this for a while, big ship, lots of dV remaining. Any ideas on how to get a decent transfer to Bop or Pol from a 100km equatorial orbit around Tylo? I've already landed at Laythe and Vall and finished my Tylo landing as well.

The alex moon launch window planner lets you do moon to moon within a planetary system!

I did it! For my 2nd attempt I chose to be as light as possible with the landers, its amazing how much difference a lighter payload has!

I still had loads of dV from the mother-ship, so I think the single launch vehicle could be lighter if I was more elegant with my Joolian manoeuvre .

4 Kerbanauts lived in the Mk2 passenger capsule and there was room for 2 on each lander.

Launch Vehicle was 789 763 Koins, Mass of 1343.6 tonnes and dV of 18000 m/s.

Mods used:

Kerbal Engineer,

Precise Node,

Docking Port Alignment Indicator.

I used quick-load a few times for tricky moments, the trouble is the save state doesn't remember if the resources tab was open, so there's a few pictures that only have kerbal engineer dV info. I hope this is fixed

The Laythe lander might be controversial, but I like to think there is a hatch in the fairings or its hinged :)

I did it! For my 2nd attempt I chose to be as light as possible with the landers, its amazing how much difference a lighter payload has!

I still had loads of dV from the mother-ship, so I think the single launch vehicle could be lighter if I was more elegant with my Joolian manoeuvre .

4 Kerbanauts lived in the Mk2 passenger capsule and there was room for 2 on each lander.

Launch Vehicle was 789 763 Koins, Mass of 1343.6 tonnes and dV of 18000 m/s.

Mods used:

Kerbal Engineer,

Precise Node,

Docking Port Alignment Indicator.

I used quick-load a few times for tricky moments, the trouble is the save state doesn't remember if the resources tab was open, so there's a few pictures that only have kerbal engineer dV info. I hope this is fixed

The Laythe lander might be controversial, but I like to think there is a hatch in the fairings or its hinged :)

http://imgur.com/a/9AdBc.

Hi iLikeRovers :)

Excellent Jool5 attempt !

I liked the "Who needs ladders on Tylo!"

Congrat's :)

@SpaceplaneAddict Its unlikely you can use Tweakscale, it depends how you use it, have a read of this post.

I would try to stay away from Tweakscale. Especially for the heat shields, these are design challenges that you and everyone attempting this challenge has to deal with. Go ahead with your mods if you can prove they were strictly aesthetic, but improving the ship's performance or taking away an essential part of the challenge (aerobraking difficulty for the heat shield) would not be allowed.

Edited by iLikeRovers

I wanted to Tweakscale an ISRU to fit in a Mk2 Cargo Bay. I don't see a problem there, technically it would IMPAIR my ships refuel capabilities.

It might impair your ship's refueling rate but not its capability. It can still refuel to 100% with ISRU and this is not a timed challenge, so a size and weight improvement is in fact improving the ship's performance. The Mk2 to 2.5m adapter is a very under-utilized part, in my opinion. Try it out!

Thanks for all the submissions, everyone:

JebsDead, if you like to browse the forums without logging in, I sent you a message with a few questions about your video and once you're clear I can put your name on the leaderboard.

E805BzRo, congratulations on your successful mission at level 1! Your mothership and Laythe plane look great, and I like the apporach of using the final stage of the Tylo lander for the other airless moons.

John FX, That is a very very detailed album of your ship's assembly. The ship looks capable, let's see what you can do with it!

iLikeRovers, congratulations on your successful mission at level 2! Your landers looked great and I could see the focus on efficiency in all parts of the ship.

This is gonna be hard. I wanted to build using exclusively parts saying Mk2 in them. Oh well, sacrifices must be made.
Having nearly finished the challenge now I can offer a few bits of advice:

Don't do like I did and use one lander for everywhere. It will be too big and you will need lots of fuel shipped to the Jool system to feed it. Take along two or three landers designed for particular moons and discard them when you have finished with them. Keep them as small and efficient as possible. Consider command seats to save the weight of capsules.

Don't make a huge wobbly rocket to ship a massive craft to Jool. It will be very hard to maneuver and will be difficult to keep on course. Better to take the ISRU route if you are going to need a lot of fuel.

Don't rush things. Gives yourself days or weeks to do this and take breaks. You will get bored and be tempted to give up otherwise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.