The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

On 9/13/2016 at 7:11 PM, sdj64 said:

That's ridiculous.

Congratulations Nefrums, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 6.4!  (actually Level 1 but it's so much more impressive than that).  The little radial reaction wheel seems like a surprise MVP (most valuable part!) because it makes all of those tiny final stages that much lighter.  I also see lots of VX series 2 engines.  It was interesting to see what you did with reentry when the speeds are so high and the rules don't exactly account for balance with a rescaled system.  It was impressive to see the efficiency and arrangement of everything, especially the landing on Tylo.

@sdj64 thanks! It was actually alot easier than i expected.

What should I do next? Level 2 with x10 scale and TAC life support? That might be fun.

6 hours ago, Nefrums said:

What should I do next? Level 2 with x10 scale and TAC life support? That might be fun.

Life Support needs more love for sure. Apart from the extra mass the LS consumption complicates dV budgets and you also have to worry about the 6 hour suit EVA limit for any lawn chair landers.

I swear to god I finally have an Eve lander and could of had a working Grand Tour ship ready in the next few months and then BAM probe telemetry. Now I need to bring a relay with me, I'll just pack more xenon.

I also have what should be a smaller version of my original submissions's ship working which I will likely use as a relay satellite once the Jool 5 segment is completed.

I am Back! I have completed my Mothership for Kerbalism Jool 5 Challenge! Because I could.

xa9bbHN.jpgmKPvzTm.jpg

The Command Module Of the Mothership. It also carries the lander's and an Ion Tug

VtKe0gr.jpg

To have the kerbals survive the journey to Jool, The Scientists at Repo tech Inc, Have let us use one of there Cryogenic Freezing Chambers to freeze our kerbals through the journey. We also have a Greenhouse for when the kerbals are not in Deep Sleep.

cim1OVS.jpg

The Propulsion Stack uses 5x Nova Nerva Clusters (From Ven's stock revamp. It has Same ISP as Regular Nerva) with a Revolutionary Design that reduces Radiation from the engines.

Now For the lander Equipment

WjDvP5p.jpg 

This is my Low Grav Lander That can land on Vall, Pol, and Bop. But it cant Land on Laythe and Tylo itself, It needs Help.

amOfj4F.jpg

This is the Low Grav lander with the Tylo Excursion Module. It docks to the bottom to of the Low Grav lander to act as a Lower Stage.

lxAjTeN.jpg 

And this is the Laythe Excursion Module. This is used before the TEM and it is a Whiplash jet engine with wings and some Atmospheric Science to compliment it. 

ufjn0kO.jpg

This is the Ion tug that will carry the Lander to its Destination. it also has plenty of Life Support for the transfers to keep the kerbals alive and happy.

4TqTYlS.jpg 

As well as landers, the Mothership can carry 2 Atmospheric probes to the surface of Laythe, and into the depths of Jool. 

(Please note, Return Capsule not included in purchase of the Jool 5 Mothership)

Edited by Starslinger999

@Mesklin @Nefrums lovely low mass missions!

I see you both used inline fairings - last time I tried that it sent my drag way up. Are there any gotcha with those? like: don't 'only just' close it, or something about the size of the node connected to the front of the fairing, or radial stuff in the fairing (seems like you had plenty). I'll have to give it another try but if you all have any advice I'd appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, DBowman said:

@Mesklin @Nefrums lovely low mass missions!

I see you both used inline fairings - last time I tried that it sent my drag way up. Are there any gotcha with those? like: don't 'only just' close it, or something about the size of the node connected to the front of the fairing, or radial stuff in the fairing (seems like you had plenty). I'll have to give it another try but if you all have any advice I'd appreciate it.

One tip.  the inline fairing does not affect the drag of the part it is closed around. That part still has normal drag, and this drag is affected by the relative size of the part infront and behind it.   This is a bit counterintuitive as the part behind it is inside the fairing.  

So to avoid extra drag make sure the part you close the fairing around does not have a smaller part behind it.

Also note that there are some bugs where some parts still generate drag inside a fairing,  I think it is mostly RCS parts and kerbals in command chairs.

9 hours ago, Nefrums said:

So to avoid extra drag make sure the part you close the fairing around does not have a smaller part behind it.

Ah thanks. I think this is what got me; replace a terrier with three sparks, so an oct strut is behind the fuel tank but in the fairing. In that case the tank should really count the fairing as 'whats behind me for drag computation'. Do you know is the issue raised as a bug?

Working on my own Jool-5 mission with all four Kerbals landing on all moons, returning as much science as possible (in my career mode game). Just finished assembling the craft in orbit, which took 5 launches. Here's a lovely screenie of the craft in LKO:

058.png

Almost 400 tons, almost 1000 parts. Image report of the assembly in the following imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/eIHuh. Soon to be updated with the full mission report - wish me luck!

(Note: I used HE for testing the separate landers but forgot to remove it before starting the mission. I'll uninstall it before continuing to prevent confusion)

Edited by McQuacker

Hmm, seems I may need some help. Right now my ship has just entered Jool's SOI with (according to KER, which is having trouble with all the docked modules) about 800 m/s delta-V left in the interplanetary engines. My hyperbolic periapsis is at about 50,000 km, well within Tylo's orbit, and I'm pretty much perfectly in the equatorial plane. However, I can't seem to find a Tylo encounter that will get me in an orbit around Jool without a burn of at least 1,500 m/s. I have previously managed to do this without needing to do any burning at all and I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Any tips here?

You need to correct the timing of your jool flyby in order to do it when Tylo is in the correct place. This correction is cheaper the earlier it is done.  

It would have been 100 timers cheaper to do the same correction just after leaving kerbin soi. It will be expensive to do this late.  

1 hour ago, Nefrums said:

You need to correct the timing of your jool flyby in order to do it when Tylo is in the correct place. This correction is cheaper the earlier it is done.  

It would have been 100 timers cheaper to do the same correction just after leaving kerbin soi. It will be expensive to do this late.  

Ah no, I can get a Tylo encounter with only a small burn. The problem is that it doesn't put me in a stable orbit - I still need to do a burn at either my Tylo or Jool periapsis to get there, with a minimum of about 1,500 m/s - or so I found.
What would the correct place for Tylo be then? Say the direction of my entry is at zero degrees, at what phase angle should Tylo be when I encounter it?

Finished fueling up my Juno 5 Mothership last night. It only took EIGHT trips. Eight identical trips. Ugh. 

After I finished fueling up and transfering crew, I launched the ship on a prograde burn to leave Kerbin SOI just ahead of the required plane and Jool iinterception burns.  It's really interesting how much fuel I'm burning this early in the mission profile. I think my ship lost a third of its mass just to leave Kerbin SOI.

1 hour ago, McQuacker said:

Ah no, I can get a Tylo encounter with only a small burn. The problem is that it doesn't put me in a stable orbit - I still need to do a burn at either my Tylo or Jool periapsis to get there, with a minimum of about 1,500 m/s - or so I found.
What would the correct place for Tylo be then? Say the direction of my entry is at zero degrees, at what phase angle should Tylo be when I encounter it?

You want your relative velocity towards Tylo to be as low as possible,  That happens when your ship and tylo are traveling in the same direction.  Best is if you can get the intercept as close to your Jool PE as possible.  

Like this:  (green line)

uXieZLI.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nefrums said:

You want your relative velocity towards Tylo to be as low as possible,  That happens when your ship and tylo are traveling in the same direction.  Best is if you can get the intercept as close to your Jool PE as possible.  

Like this:  (green line)

Thanks! I'll try again soon, though probably with a smaller vessel - this one just took too long to assemble, and it made the game too slow for my taste.

@Paranoid Shark Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 3 Jeb's Level!  Awesome use of two space shuttles.  Your small Cupcake-esque landers were also impressive.  Cormorant Aereonology looks balanced, it is allowed for future entries as well.

Is this really the first Jeb's level entry in 1.1.3?

Because you posted in the Shuttle Challenge thread, I'm providing a link so everyone can see your entry.

Edited by sdj64
mistakenly said wrong level...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.