The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

18 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

@sdj64 I found kinda loophole in forbidden mods it mentions propelantless space engines but in theory that means while not in space you can use them

So, electric propellers? Dunno how useful those are going to be, since (if they were designed with physics in mind) they don't really work in the transonic and supersonic regimes due to aerodynamic weirdness connected with the sound barrier.

44 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

So, electric propellers? Dunno how useful those are going to be, since (if they were designed with physics in mind) they don't really work in the transonic and supersonic regimes due to aerodynamic weirdness connected with the sound barrier.

No, I had in mind something from "cheat" mod , it isn't cheat because it is mod and for example engine that would take 10liquid fuel/s with 2000kN thrust

18 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

No, I had in mind something from "cheat" mod , it isn't cheat because it is mod and for example engine that would take 10liquid fuel/s with 2000kN thrust

The rules allow the maintainer to ban mads that are overpowered - there's no loophole there.  No offense, but save yourself the grief, plenty of folks have completed the challenge without "cheat" mods.

9 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

The rules allow the maintainer to ban mads that are overpowered - there's no loophole there.  No offense, but save yourself the grief, plenty of folks have completed the challenge without "cheat" mods.

I'm just trying to help so there isn't something like that...

Just now, Numerlor said:

I'm just trying to help so there isn't something like that...

My apologies for jumping to unwarranted conclusions.

But my basic point still stands - there isn't a loophole because it's covered by the higher level rule that allows the maintainer to ban overpowered mods.

19 hours ago, Numerlor said:

@sdj64 I found kinda loophole in forbidden mods it mentions propelantless space engines but in theory that means while not in space you can use them

This rule is meant to allow "propellantless" engines that only work in atmosphere, such as electric propellers and nuclear thermal turbojets.  Those are based on real physics and technology because they use atmospheric gases as their reaction mass.  For this challenge, they can only be used on Laythe or in Jool's atmosphere if you wanted to go there, but to get back to orbit you would still need a regular rocket engine.

An engine that can produce thrust in space with no propellant breaks the laws of physics (at least as far as we know) and is banned because it makes the challenge too easy.

Edit: in previous versions of KSP, I had a rule that any mod was banned unless you asked first.  I took that rule out because it became cumbersome to handle all the requests and the vast majority of mods are not overpowered.  But, if you go looking for loopholes I will have to add those mods to the banned list.

Edited by sdj64

6 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

This rule is meant to allow "propellantless" engines that only work in atmosphere, such as electric propellers and nuclear thermal turbojets.  Those are based on real physics and technology because they use atmospheric gases as their reaction mass.  For this challenge, they can only be used on Laythe or in Jool's atmosphere if you wanted to go there, but to get back to orbit you would still need a regular rocket engine.

An engine that can produce thrust in space with no propellant breaks the laws of physics (at least as far as we know) and is banned because it makes the challenge too easy.

I have mistaken propellantless engine with Reactionless, but while nuclear turbojets are pretty real (just not as effective) electric propellers are just theory now, at least they write about it in that way 

is a propulsion technology for spacecrafts, which could allow thrust generation in low orbits without the need of on-board propellant

But that was just 5 minute research and one surely works and second has high chance to work, I just thought that you automatically wrote space in fron of engine

1 minute ago, Numerlor said:

I have mistaken propellantless engine with Reactionless, but while nuclear turbojets are pretty real (just not as effective) electric propellers are just theory now, at least they write about it in that way 

But that was just 5 minute research and one surely works and second has high chance to work, I just thought that you automatically wrote space in fron of engine

I meant a literal propeller engine, like on an RC plane or helicopter.

The engine in the article you linked uses trace gases from the atmosphere that extend up to low orbit (in real life but not in KSP).  You still wouldn't be able to use it in interplanetary space.

Yes, I did mean reactionless, but propellantless is a less ambiguous descriptor in terms of KSP game rules.  A solar sail is propellantless, but not reactionless.  I know there have been some solar sail mods in KSP, and those are banned too under that rule.

55 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I meant a literal propeller engine, like on an RC plane or helicopter.

But wouldn't that be bit overpowered? Or impossible with normal electricity generation? CH-47 can haul max of 10t cargo and it has twin engines with power of 2796 kW

Also I'm sorry for being annoying :D

Spoiler

I know that KSP Universe is not ours but it is based on ours and you are trying it to match our laws of physics and there is no way anything could power engines so big, for example best reactor from NearFuture Electrical has outpu of 3000ec/s and IF 1ec=1kW that would mean it can power one engine from CH-47 , but probably  cannot take off because of it's 10,888t Weight

Edited by Numerlor

This is from my Jool-5 SSTO/Circumnavigation challenge, but I think it counts here.  You guys should give it a shot; it's a real test of patience and perseverance. The badge below links to it. 

Part 1 Highlights:  

30:55 Vall Rising (Tylo?)

1:07:07 Sketchy Laythe Takeoff

Part 2 Highlights:

10:04 Vall Summit

16:58 Tylo Landing

25:25 Tylo Summit 

28:46 Rendezvous in Tylo Orbit

2.5 hrs at 16x speed means that this mission took me 40 real life hours-not counting another 10-15hrs of testing.

Edited by HarrySeaward

1 hour ago, HarrySeaward said:

This is from my Jool-5 SSTO/Circumnavigation challenge, but I think it counts here.  You guys should give it a shot; it's a real test of patience and perseverance. The badge below links to it. 

Part 1 Highlights:  

30:55 Vall Rising (Tylo?)

1:07:07 Sketchy Laythe Takeoff

Part 2 Highlights:

10:04 Vall Summit

16:58 Tylo Landing

25:25 Tylo Summit 

28:46 Rendezvous in Tylo Orbit

2.5 hrs at 16x speed means that this mission took me 40 real life hours-not counting another 10-15hrs of testing.

Wow

can't wait to see your submition in the elcano thread

6 hours ago, Ziv said:

Hey everyone, I'm so happy to see the JOOL-5 still up and running!! :)

It's been great running the challenge and still seeing continuing interest and new entries all the time.  Thanks for your continuing support!

@HarrySeaward Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 1!  Sorry it took so long to review, I had to find time to watch your 2.5 hours of video.  Your plane was impressive and compact, and I liked the minimalist rover integrated into your Tylo lander.  It must have taken a lot of dedication to complete all of the long drives.  I have to ask, though, is there a reason for using parachutes rather than horizontal landing?  Does the plane not have enough lift from its wings?

2 hours ago, sdj64 said:

It's been great running the challenge and still seeing continuing interest and new entries all the time.  Thanks for your continuing support!

@HarrySeaward Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 1!  Sorry it took so long to review, I had to find time to watch your 2.5 hours of video.  Your plane was impressive and compact, and I liked the minimalist rover integrated into your Tylo lander.  It must have taken a lot of dedication to complete all of the long drives.  I have to ask, though, is there a reason for using parachutes rather than horizontal landing?  Does the plane not have enough lift from its wings?

The chutes are there because the ship has about a 1-in-3 chance of a rapid, unplanned disassembly on landing--even while performing landings that would be successful with other vessels.  I spent a long time trying to find the weak link (various autostruts, actual struts, rigid/non) but settled for the compromised solution. 

If one were to attempt my version of the Jool-5/SSTO/Elkano, I highly recommend taking the time to land as near to the equator as possible. I wasted 4+ hrs on Tylo driving from 20°S latitude to cross into the northern hemisphere. 

2 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

@sdj64 Is this ship OK to be used? Or is it clipping a bit too much?

NAAdMCZ.jpg

viAfhJc.jpg

What. The. Kraken.

Okay, I'm a fan of doing things overkill, but something tells me you went a bit too far. Have fun with the stuts on that thing :P 

I'm also planning on doing the Jool-5 soon in a Sandbox save. I've played KSP for the past two years, so I HAVE to do this sooner than later. @sdj64 is mining and ore processing allowed in the Jool system?

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

What. The. Kraken.

Okay, I'm a fan of doing things overkill, but something tells me you went a bit too far. Have fun with the stuts on that thing :P 

I'm also planning on doing the Jool-5 soon in a Sandbox save. I've played KSP for the past two years, so I HAVE to do this sooner than later. @sdj64 is mining and ore processing allowed in the Jool system?

The overkill is intentional, this thing can pull up 2250 tons in LKO without a problem. Also, auto struts is a beast!

Edited by Planetace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.