The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

3 hours ago, Sean24135 said:

I posted my Imgur album about two weeks ago, was it declined or has he just not seen it yet?

He is on a trip wo Internet access. Said he be back on the 20th.

Your entry looks fine to me.

On 01/06/2015 at 3:51 PM, sdj64 said:

Any helpful mod is allowed which doesn't add parts and doesn't change the physics (MechJeb, information mods, alarm clocks, enhanced navballs, docking cams, texture replacers, clouds, protractor, fuel balancer, chatterer, etc).

@littlebuddy0 I'd suggest that you reread the rules and mod lists. If you missed this then it's possible you missed something else important.

I had a devil of a time building a mothership to fit all my various landers, since originally I was going to take three.  I've changed it to two, but now I have to take along a refuelling probe that can refuel the top half of my Tylo lander for use on Pol, Bop, and Vall.  I'm also trying to overestimate fuel use a bit so I make sure I have plenty, but without going overboard.

I have a feeling that the actual mission will be a cakewalk compared to the engineering beforehand.

:lol: Having so much fun, though.

@Barefoot Friar If constructing a suitable mothership is proving difficult, it may benefit you to make just one lander that's capable of SSTO from everywhere but Tylo (challenging but doable) with a custom descent stage for Tylo. About 3000 delta-v should be good for the SSTO part (more if it's not particularly aerodynamic), with probably another thousand or so (and pretty high thrust-to-weight) in the descent stage. Although it's probably best to leave good room for error on that descent stage in any case, considering the immense difficulty of a Tylo landing compared to anywhere else.

Fun to see that so many are still trying this challenge, I bet this is the oldest still active challenge on the forum, considering that it was first posted in 2013.

I'm looking forward to see what designs you come up with!

@Mesklin have you goten that sub 11t entry working?

On 18.05.2016 at 7:31 PM, Nefrums said:

Fun to see that so many are still trying this challenge, I bet this is the oldest still active challenge on the forum, considering that it was first posted in 2013.

I'm looking forward to see what designs you come up with!

@Mesklin have you goten that sub 11t entry working?

I am a little busy right now (business trip is ongoing), I hope I finished my entry in the nearest holidays (only trip to home left with 1400+ m/s of dV on board)

Edited by Mesklin

21 minutes ago, Mesklin said:

I am a little busy right now (business trip is ongoing), I hope I finished my entry in the nearest holidays (only trip to home left with 1400+ m/s of dV on board)

Nice!

Getting home should take less than 500 m/s dV, when doing a powered tylo assist then going Kerbin->Kerbin->Eve->(2x kebol orbit)->Kerbin.

Edited by Nefrums

And, finally, my entry in low mass category (deep reworking my one of my entry for version 1.0.5):

1. Start mass: 10.775t

2. Horizontal takeoff from Kerbin on one RAPIER and vertical landing to Kerbin without any devices - in suit

3. Economical Kerbin-Laythe trajectory: I spent ~1250 m/s dV (Eve-Kerbin-Kerbin flybys). One ion engine for all space maneuvers.

3. Winged  Laythe lander with ion scooter as second stage, same ion scooter for Pol and Bop

4. 2-staged Tylo lander without probe and SAS - only chair, based on 48-7S "Spark" engine. Lander mass: 1.558t with pilot

5. Single staged Laythe lander (2 LV-1R "Spider" engines). Lander mass: 0.524t with pilot

6. Mods used: BetterBurnTime, BetterTimeWarp, HistorianExpanded, IndicatorLights, MechJeb, Kerbal Alarm Clock, KER, Precise Node, Tajectories.

7. Tricks:

a) antenna at the nose of craft works like very good heat shield, with it small detail I could reach 1500+ m/s not so high in atmosphere.

b) fairings are really heavy thing, I tried to make craft's covered part with minimal length and diameter.

Several videos:

Kerbin ascent: https://youtu.be/gF9CTEtJLg0

Laythe ascent: https://youtu.be/ZmfN_s_1hwk

Tylo landing and ascent: https://youtu.be/nS64aVCzzRI

Edited by Mesklin

9 hours ago, Mesklin said:

And, finally, my entry in low mass category (deep reworking my one of my entry for version 1.0.5):

1. Start mass: 10.775t

2. Horizontal takeoff from Kerbin on one RAPIER and vertical landing to Kerbin without any devices - in suit

3. Economical Kerbin-Laythe trajectory: I spent ~1250 m/s dV (Eve-Kerbin-Kerbin flybys). One ion engine for all space maneuvers.

3. Winged  Laythe lander with ion scooter as second stage, same ion scooter for Pol and Bop

4. 2-staged Tylo lander without probe and SAS - only chair, based on 48-7S "Spark" engine. Lander mass: 1.558t with pilot

5. Single staged Laythe lander (2 LV-1R "Spider" engines). Lander mass: 0.524t with pilot

6. Mods used: BetterBurnTime, BetterTimeWarp, HistorianExpanded, IndicatorLights, MechJeb, Kerbal Alarm Clock, KER, Precise Node, Tajectories.

7. Tricks:

a) antenna at the nose of craft works like very good heat shield, with it small detail I could reach 1500+ m/s not so high in atmosphere.

b) fairings are really heavy thing, I tried to make craft's covered part with minimal length and diameter.

Several videos:

Kerbin ascent: https://youtu.be/gF9CTEtJLg0

Laythe ascent: https://youtu.be/ZmfN_s_1hwk

Tylo landing and ascent: https://youtu.be/nS64aVCzzRI

Hi @Mesklin:)

Just... Excellent !

Less than 11T. unbelievable  but true !

Big big congratulations :)

You didnt' flew really safe with Val... but she is alive xD

Well done!

I'll post my entry later tonight. 

I like the trick with the antenna! I opted for just letting the nosecone overheat. And go with the Oscar b in front above 10km.

One tip about the fairing. There is a feature/bug in that the part you close the fairing around does not have its drag affected at all by the fairing. And a part will have its drag increased a lot if it is followed by a smaller part, even if that is bellow the fairing.

If you where to replace the t200 tank with 2x t100 tanks and close the fairing to the one in front it would reduce drag and allow for greater airbreathing speed.

What intake did you use?

For my entry I used only three engines.

By letting the nosecone overheat I was able to reach 1640 m/s in air breathing mode,  This greatly reduced the amount of lf/ox I needed to carry.  Last entry i made had 13 oscar b tanks, this one needed only 6.

I found that the radial ram intake gave better performance then other intakes, they seam to have better drag/intake air ratio then other intakes. I needed 3 of them to avoid the rapier loosing thrust at 15+ km altitude

I made LKO -> Laythe for 1024.5 m/s dV by starting with a muun flyby.

I used a two stage ion lander for val,  That is staged batteries. :D This allowed me to land on Vall with only one ion engine.

Instead of rtg i used one solar panel. This made the battery recharge time go from hours to days.

My Tylo lander had only 4k m/s dV but this is enough to land at 9km altitude.  The lander will roll over on landing but jeb can flip it.

Take of mass is 8.6 

Hello everyone and thank you for your patience while I was away.  I will respond to questions now, and will review all of the pending entries soon.  Mesklin and Nefrums, your low mass rivalry has been really entertaining so far, can't wait to see the entries in more detail!  I didn't think it could be done under 10 tons!

On 5/6/2016 at 0:41 PM, Barefoot Friar said:

Question about a mod:

May I please use NecroBones' Lithobrake Exploration Technologies?  I am specifically interested in the ladders, though the landing legs are nice, too.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you may use it.  Masses of the parts look balanced.

On 5/6/2016 at 2:18 PM, Crazy-Engineer said:

This could prove useful for huge eve landers.
Also what about Ven's Stock Part Revamp? its basically stock

Yes, Ven's Stock Revamp and all the new parts it adds are okay to use.

On 5/14/2016 at 11:44 PM, Crazy-Engineer said:

The most challenging part for me is tat i have this NO Littering extraterrestrial planets thing, so i almost always go for SSTO's
I always like a challenging gameplay, dark souls 3 anyone?
And as for completing the challenge both ways (ISRU and Non-ISRU) does tat mean u get to keep 2 badges?

Each entry gets its own line in the hall of fame.  There is only one badge for both ways to complete it but I don't care if you put it in your signature twice :D

On 5/16/2016 at 5:48 PM, Crazy-Engineer said:

Any idea of how much Δv for a grandtour with aero-braking?
Ive got all my landers ready now I just need to make my mothership

My grand tour mothership went to all except Moho, and had 8800 + 1600 for the booster stage for leaving Kerbin.  Using a smaller ship to go to Moho, Dres, Eeloo while your mothership waits at the larger planets will save a lot of dV.  I would say 15000 to be safe if you want to go to all the planets with your whole mothership.  Depending on the max temperature of your heat shield and your skill with gravity assists, it may be less.

@sdj64 Thanks!  I went ahead and began the challenge without those parts, so as it turned out I don't need them after all.  Still, it will be good for future challengers to know it's available.

I am completing this in 1.0.5 because 1.1.2 was crashing way too much to be usable.  If this isn't acceptable, I won't even waste your time with an entry.  Just let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

1 minute ago, Barefoot Friar said:

@sdj64 Thanks!  I went ahead and began the challenge without those parts, so as it turned out I don't need them after all.  Still, it will be good for future challengers to know it's available.

I am completing this in 1.0.5 because 1.1.2 was crashing way too much to be usable.  If this isn't acceptable, I won't even waste your time with an entry.  Just let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes 1.0.5 is fine still, it will probably go in the spoiler with the other 1.0.5 entries but you can still get reviewed and claim the badge.

14 hours ago, Nefrums said:

What intake did you use?

Same as you - pair of radial ram intake.

Your entry simply incredible, 8.6t ?!, perfect craft and perfect piloting.

About Tylo lander, I am thinking about very similar craft, but I could not decide problem with crashes when detaching forward tank with working engine. Simply off engine for short time, applause.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.