One launch

Cost: 127,676

Mass: 19,996 kg

dV used for mother ship:

LKO -> Laythe orbit: 1135dV

Laythe orbit -> Tylo orbit: 108 dV

Tylo orbit -> Vall orbit: 74 dV

Vall orbit -> Kerbin intecept: 288 dV

Lots of gravity assists, inducing a powered one for the return trip. Mother ship stayed in elliptic orbits at the edge of SOI of all moons, and stayed in Vall orbit during Bop and Pol landings.

The Ion scooter played a big part in the mission. It landed on 4 of the moons, acted as tug to low orbit and back on tylo, and pushed the mother ship back to kerbin.

Cred goes to PLAD for showing us that it is possible to get to Jool for less than 1100 dV

Edited by Nefrums

Hi Nefrums :)

Just..... WOW !!!

Fully mastered mission and flyby's, beautiful ship and landers..... wow wow wow :)

(Only one strut used, you beat me lol)

Ion Scooter is top !

CONGRATULATIONS !

I'll soon be on the second place of the Jool low mass challenge ;)

I too approve of course this mission :)

Fly safe with Val !

Thanks! There where struts between the front and back wings as well.

I tried to make as low dV burns as possible even when it was obvious that i had more than enough left, just to know exactly how mush fuel i should bring on the next attempt. :wink: Next ship will have 6k xenon instead of 8k.

Edited by Nefrums

Nefrums, that is a really superb Jool-5 mission! Masterful use of flybys, I've never had the guts to use a multi-orbit build up to the K-E-K-K-J departure because of the tight Eve flyby window, but you did it! Clever design too, I especially like how the wings for that great-looking Laythe lander are functional for the Kerbin take-off as well.

(And thanks for the cred:))

So, after getting bored with my previous attempt, I'm going to try this again ISRU-style. Hopefully my eye-candy mods are going to keep me interested for long enough to complete my mission.

Is it fine if I do this on Mac 64-bit? I can switch to 32-bit, but I'm not sure if my RAM can take the graphics mods on a 32-bit installation and, at least so far, other than occasional minor issues that shouldn't affect the mission, 64-bit seems solid.

I've pretty much got it done; there's minor parts clipping. Fuel cells, drills, and jets are clipping into the cargo bays slightly; the fuel cells are unavoidable due to weird placement parameters on the interior of the cargo bay, unfortunately, and for the jets I'm hoping that the fact that the clipping only occurs when the cargo bays are open will forgive me.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've got more cargo bay clipping further back, but I have no plans to open that cargo bay. I'm just using it as a service module.

EDIT: Those are not the images I was looking for. Stand by while I fix this.

EDIT 2: Fixed.

EDIT 3: Derp. Forgot to mention that I was asking if this is okay.

EDIT 4: Embedded album refuses to update to include the last image. See the whole thing here.

Edited by Whovian

And here it is:

http://imgur.com/a/JkU35

Version: 1.0.4

Mods: KER, Precise node

One kerbal

One launch

Cost: 127,676

Mass: 19,996 kg

dV used for mother ship:

LKO -> Laythe orbit: 1135dV

Laythe orbit -> Tylo orbit: 108 dV

Tylo orbit -> Vall orbit: 74 dV

Vall orbit -> Kerbin intecept: 288 dV

Lots of gravity assists, inducing a powered one for the return trip. Mother ship stayed in elliptic orbits at the edge of SOI of all moons, and stayed in Vall orbit during Bop and Pol landings.

The Ion scooter played a big part in the mission. It landed on 4 of the moons, acted as tug to low orbit and back on tylo, and pushed the mother ship back to kerbin.

Cred goes to PLAD for showing us that it is possible to get to Jool for less than 1100 dV

Amazing mission! The precision in those high orbits was a work of art. Didn't think under 20 tons was possible but you proved everyone wrong. You are now in first place for the low mass challenge!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank's a lot sdj64 :)

First until Nefrums' mission ! lol

Still in a hurry to see it also :)

BTW, can I add the http://i.imgur.com/TDIcZyO.pngbadge to my signature with a link to this challenge ? ^^

Fly safe with Val !

Yes, you and Nefrums can both add the low mass badge.

So, after getting bored with my previous attempt, I'm going to try this again ISRU-style. Hopefully my eye-candy mods are going to keep me interested for long enough to complete my mission.

Is it fine if I do this on Mac 64-bit? I can switch to 32-bit, but I'm not sure if my RAM can take the graphics mods on a 32-bit installation and, at least so far, other than occasional minor issues that shouldn't affect the mission, 64-bit seems solid.

Yes, it's fine. 64 bit has nothing different in physics so it would be fine if you're confident it's stable enough.

I've pretty much got it done; there's minor parts clipping. Fuel cells, drills, and jets are clipping into the cargo bays slightly; the fuel cells are unavoidable due to weird placement parameters on the interior of the cargo bay, unfortunately, and for the jets I'm hoping that the fact that the clipping only occurs when the cargo bays are open will forgive me.

http://imgur.com/a/sNTke

I've got more cargo bay clipping further back, but I have no plans to open that cargo bay. I'm just using it as a service module.

EDIT: Those are not the images I was looking for. Stand by while I fix this.

EDIT 2: Fixed.

EDIT 3: Derp. Forgot to mention that I was asking if this is okay.

EDIT 4: Embedded album refuses to update to include the last image. See the whole thing here.

It looks okay. You could try mounting the drills and fuel cell banks on cubic struts to get them completely inside the cargo bay if you want. The jets clipping when the cargo bay is open is alright too.

I'm looking at attempting this at some point in the future, and I want to know which mods I use are allowed and which aren't. Here's a screenshot of my Gamedata folder:

usuR4YW.png

Also, could there be a seperate category (or at the very least bonus points) for doing it using IVA/Cams (if RasterPropMonitor is installed) and/or using kOS?

Edited by Alex33212

I'm surprised no one is in the ISRU hall of fame yet. I've got a design that should work, and I found it to be easier to design than a traditional ship...maybe because I didn't have KER when I was working on those pesky complex staging arrays ;)

I'm surprised no one is in the ISRU hall of fame yet. I've got a design that should work, and I found it to be easier to design than a traditional ship...maybe because I didn't have KER when I was working on those pesky complex staging arrays ;)

I am in the process of filming an epic Jeb level attempt with ISRU, but ISRU makes it to easy, so my craft is a 600 ton monster, ~7,000 Dv, 6 Kerbals, Roverdude's life support mod with supplies for 2,300 days, AND it does not stage. With ISRU, it can SSTO everywhere, even Kerbin.

I have done a LOT of planning, and testing, and it "should" work. Currently I'm speeding to Jool with a travel time of 500 days. Injection burn and Bop landing will be the next trick.

Real life keeps getting in the way, but I plan to submit in the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm doing the same thing, but with only 5300 m/s, which got me to Minmus to refuel. I'm not sure when I will submit it, it's currently gone from Minmus to Ike, Duna, Dres, Laythe (twice), Pol, Tylo, then back to Pol. It's eventually going to go back deeper into the solar system to visit Gilly, Moho, and maybe Eve. It'll probably be a week or two for me.

Hello together!

I throw my hat in to this challenge, finally!

After re-reading the OPs rules i realized my recent Vessel doesn`t apply to the challenge, so i slapped another STOCK vessel together. I started to make a accurate documentation, from first launch and pics in the VAB/ SPH with the total funds visible which will be fired on this mission. A missionreport is gonna be set up in the fanworks soon (done, link below). Also the craftfiles.

My Kerbals zealously scienced the magnificient kurvature of tasty bananas, and after eating enough of them, they just built this while i was asleep, a picture from the launchpad:

JqTQ2KI.png

I managed to lift it to orbit, some landers and a Laythe SSTO are still to be docked, Bobby Kerman will attempt to perform a complete Jool-5 competition.

Just another pic before ejecting second stage on ascent:

oW3OrsA.png

I have to play this in my careersave, so please be patient, i have to make some contracts during this mission, you know, funds...

The Vessel is officially named "CRAZY BANANA" :D!

Missionreport:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133265-CRAZY-BANANA-Jool-5-attempt

Edited by Mikki
typo and such... foreign languages... uuuh:), linkfix

Can there be a list of entries pending review in the opening post?

Also, as far as I can tell, collecting ANY science in a level 3 entry gets you Jeb's level, right? (That's what the opening post sounds like it's saying.)

Yes, any amount of science plus the requirements of level 3. You're right.

Hello together!

I throw my hat in to this challenge, finally!

After re-reading the OPs rules i realized my recent Vessel doesn`t apply to the challenge, so i slapped another STOCK vessel together. I started to make a accurate documentation, from first launch and Pics in the VAB/ SPH with the total funds visible which will be fired on this mission. I missionreport is gonna be set up in the fanworks soon. Also the craftfiles.

My Kerbals zealously scienced the magnificient kurvature of tasty bananas, and after eating enough of them they build this while i was asleep, a picture from the launchpad:

http://i.imgur.com/JqTQ2KI.png

I managed to lift it to orbit, some landers and a Laythe SSTO will still be docked, Bobby Kerman will attempt to perform a complete Jool-5 competition.

Just another pic before ejecting second stage in ascend:

http://i.imgur.com/oW3OrsA.png

I have to play this in my careersave, so be patient i have to make some contracts during this mission, you know the funds...

The Vessel is officaly named "CRAZY BANANA" :D!

What a crazy ship! Can't wait to see what it can do!

Also, just noticed that we've been stickied for September. Awesome work on the entries so far, and I hope that we can get many more!

I'm preparing a Jool-5 trip/challenge 2nd Level and Jeb Level : (100% stock)

One big main ship with lots of fuel capacity and room for 2 Kerbonauts (2 pilots)

+ One lander (39t, 4450 m/s delta-V, twr 2 (kerbin) can orbit kerbin) designed for all moons for 2 Kerbonauts (1 scientist and 1 engineer) with all scientific instruments

One launch with a little refuel (115t) in LKO

I'm not sure of the final design but for now it's looking like this on the launch pad :

A1edlNr.jpg

Without the launcher delta-V is around 9.7k m/s, the tanks docked between the lander and the main ship will be additionnal tanks for Tylo.

It'll be my heaviest launch, part count is decent with 354 part.:)

With KJR and a few struts, it's very rigid.

Edited by xebx

I'm back! I've now finished my Great Expedition and made a thread describing it. Here it is: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133811-Jool-5-And-Then-Some?p=2185701#post2185701

I think this is the first ISRU submission, if it is accepted (which is most likely going to happen.) Thanks to anyone who reviews it!

I'm back! I've now finished my Great Expedition and made a thread describing it. Here it is: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133811-Jool-5-And-Then-Some?p=2185701#post2185701

I think this is the first ISRU submission, if it is accepted (which is most likely going to happen.) Thanks to anyone who reviews it!

Hi cubinator :)

First to approve your Expedition :)

What a looooong journey with lots of nice pics !

And congrat's for being the first to make the ISRU Jool 5 Challenge :)

A lot of tries on Eve, no success, but i know that Eve SSTO is another challenge... ;)

That's OK for me, lot of work, landed on everything but Eve with 4 Kerbals, with a single ship fully recovered..., well done !!!

I ... just sent a ship out, spent a number of hours missioning, landed on Laythe, and was about to land on Tylo ... then I noticed I'd had HyperEdit installed the whole time (as I'd been using it to test my Laythe SSTO and forgot to uninstall it for the actual mission). Do I need to do-over everything or is this okay? I should clarify that I never actually used HyperEdit during the mission.

EDIT: Nvmd, looks like my Tylo lander doesn't work so it's quite irrelevant.

Edited by Whovian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.