[1.11.0] [0.9.0] Hot Spot - Better Thermal Data

zengei

Hot Spot

ckan-HotSpot-d21900.svg  license-MIT-blue.svg  HotSpot.svg?maxAge=2592000  total.svg?maxAge=2592000  total.svg?maxAge=2592000

iNFIDxf.png

Hot Spot is a MIT-licensed mod that displays better thermal data to the user.

Download

Information

• For more information and installation instructions please see the README.
  • For changes please see CHANGELOG.
  • For future enhancements please see GitHub issues.

Source: GitHub

License: MIT

Edited by zengei

So I have this vessel, it's 4 separate launches, docked into one ship for a big old mission. I'm getting this weird effect when trying to enable the overlay, for some reason it's only showing me the overlay on the last piece that was docked to the others.

The right-click temp info for individual parts works ok for everything else, it's just the overlay that seems borked:

PU7hH6h.png

What are the temps of the highlighted and non-highlighted parts respectively?

hhSvhBP.png

7fm2ahd.png

This is strange, I usually test all my contraptions in sandbox before I spend all the time launching and docking in career. So I have another version of this craft that I assembled in the VAB and HyperEdited into space as one ship and it behaves normally when trying to enable the heat overlay. It's only the separately launched and docked version in career that acts weird like in the pics....

Well the good news is that unless there's a bug in the temperature display (highly unlikely, it just reads the temperature right off the part) the overlay is accurate. By default anything below 273.2K (freezing point of water) will be blue transitioning to purple the colder it is. The unhighlighted parts are ~287-289K, basically room temperature, where the color gradient transitions to fully transparent so there's effectively no color.

Why those parts are so much colder than the others I couldn't begin to say, I just show the data. :) I would guess maybe because those parts were in space much longer so they had time to cool down radiatively, but if I read your initial post correctly the cooler parts were the more recently launched ones? /me shrugs

It does make sense that other parts in space longer would be cooler. Now that you've mentioned it, I could be mistaken on which part was brought up last. I should have marked them somehow! The first piece up was one of the long sections, then the 2 in the middle, then the other longer section was docked last.

I've been actually thinking that the entire craft is bugged somehow, the temp gauge shows correctly, it's just the colors that are not showing up. I'll continue on with the mission and see what happens, I had just finished docking and decided to check the temps when I saw this anomaly :)

(EDIT) --> So I quicksaved and did a long burn, and the color overlay worked just like it should. I think maybe I was so used to seeing the stock overlay where the entire craft starts out red, that I didn't take into account the different pieces being put together having different temps. Once I fired it up, it all evened out normally and worked like I expected it should. Now if Squad would work on docking ports not transferring heat :)

vDE6ppa.png

Edited by Eleven

Note, when parts are around room temperature it's perfectly normal not to have any color. If you want to see some color even then, you can create a MM patch and stick it somewhere in GameData like:

@ENHANCED_THERMAL_DATA:NEEDS[EnhancedThermalData]
{
@THERMAL_OVERLAY
{
@GRADIENT
{
@STOP[Standard]
{
@color = #888888
@alpha = 1.0
}
}
}
}

This edits the gradient stop at room temperature to be fully opaque (@alpha = 1.0) and makes it grayish (@color = #888888) (pure white doesn't look very good).

• 3 weeks later...
Zengei, would it be possible to show the flux of the part in a manner similar to Thermal Monitor? My understanding is that it's getting it from the debug menu.

I've implemented support for all 5 kinds of thermal rate¹ in both the context menu and overlay, but I'm waiting on 1.0.3 and it's potentially breaking changes to the thermal system to release it. See this README for info. I've also renamed the mod to Hot Spot, and it'll be fairly easy to add support for other metrics (not just thermal data) in the future.

¹To my understanding, the way KSP uses "flux" is this context is a misnomer. A flux is a change in some quantity per unit area. From what I can see all of KSP's "flux" measurements are simply changes in energy per unit time (i.e. a power), so I've chosen to avoid using the word "flux".

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if you want to give the new version a try you can download a nightly build from here; remove the EhancedThermalData folder of course. This is not an official release of course and will very likely break with 1.0.3.

v0.2.0 is out now for KSP 1.0.3 and has been renamed to "Hot Spot". Big features in this release are support for thermal rate metrics and configuration settings from a GUI accessible from the AppLauncher (settings will be made persistent in a future version).

I don't want to be picky.... but heat glowing in real life goes from red, to orange to white glowing hot.

Yes, and as mentioned in the README that's the black body color scheme that KSP defaults to... which is not very intuitive. This isn't a representation of black body radiation, it's a informational overlay designed to provide information to the user at a glance; when you see something red, you don't think "cool". Instead I've used a color scheme inspired by weather maps that's significantly more intuitive: red is hot; blue is cold.

Edited by zengei

Yes, and as mentioned in the README that's the black body color scheme that KSP defaults to... which is not very intuitive. This isn't a representation of black body radiation, it's a informational overlay designed to provide information to the user at a glance; when you see something red, you don't think "cool". Instead I've used a color scheme inspired by weather maps that's significantly more intuitive: red is hot; blue is cold.

Oh, yeah, that makes more sense.

hi all! i just installed this mod and i'm testing on re-entry with a few kerbals in an apollo capsule. when i right click, the command module shows an external temp of 1100k and and internal temp of 630k. does this seem right? 630k is 674f. i dont think the internal temp gets that hot does it? maybe i'm wrong and the kerbals can just take the heat! :cool:

hi all! i just installed this mod and i'm testing on re-entry with a few kerbals in an apollo capsule. when i right click, the command module shows an external temp of 1100k and and internal temp of 630k. does this seem right? 630k is 674f. i dont think the internal temp gets that hot does it? maybe i'm wrong and the kerbals can just take the heat! :cool:

That's probably accurate, the thermal system doesn't model parts made for habitation that would include insulation and active temperature regulation. A crew capsule is just like any other part in KSP.

public static double GetThermalFlux(this Part part)
{
return part.thermalInternalFluxPrevious
+ part.thermalConductionFlux
+ part.thermalConvectionFlux
+ part.thermalRadiationFlux
+ part.thermalRadiationFlux;
}

Is two times radiation right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi zengei,

KIS mod makes all items without modules stackable in it's inventory. If a certain mod adds a module to all parts then this KIS feature gets broken. To make your mod support KIS it needs a simple config:

@KISConfig
[*]
{
@StackableModule
{
moduleName = EnhancedThermalDataModule
}
}

Would you mind making a KISsupport.cfg file with this code and including it in your next release?

Hi zengei,

KIS mod makes all items without modules stackable in it's inventory. If a certain mod adds a module to all parts then this KIS feature gets broken. To make your mod support KIS it needs a simple config:

@KISConfig
[*]
{
@StackableModule
{
moduleName = EnhancedThermalDataModule
}
}

Would you mind making a KISsupport.cfg file with this code and including it in your next release?

v0.4.4 is out now with support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.