[1.11.0] [0.9.0] Hot Spot - Better Thermal Data

zengei

Can someone explain this to me? I'm currently on the dark side of Mun and my solar arrays have strange radiation rates (see pictures).

How can it be that on the same craft, one array (the hotter one) gets heat in and the colder one gets heat out?!

How can it be that one gets radiation (radiative) heat input anyways?!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968773291/screenshot/634230361579881969

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968773291/screenshot/634230361579882240

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968773291/screenshot/634230361579882417

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968773291/screenshot/634230361579882613

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968773291/screenshot/634230361579882812

Note:

The two crafts (front right) are linked via a KIS pipe, so they actually are one.

Edit #1:

After playing with the debug menu:

If I disable conductive flux, the radiative flux starts to go down to 0. But doesn't go below.

Edit #2:

Shortly after sunrise on Mun, radiative flux goes below 0 but only for a little while until it goes above 0 again and stays there for the day.

Edit #3:

Getting massive neg. rad. flux while timewarping. Jumps to pos. rad. flux again after resetting to 1x timespeed.

Edited by DocMop

really nice mod, thank you

Docmop, i don't know for your problem, does it do it in stock too or at least without the KIS link?

Some imrovements i will see welcome:

-a button to toggle all the display in the part right-click wich remenber the cheked boxes when disabled to avoid a list exiting the screen when we don't need thermal display, maybe when left click the mod icon,

and keep the right click on the icon for the settings like the mod Trajectories does.

-support for blizzy's tool-bar, to fine tune our screen.

Edited by Skalou

@Skalou

Removing FAR changed the behaviour a bit, but only so that the parts stopped changing flux in high frequencies.

And the problem with one panel having rad flux+ and the other one having rad flux- are gone.

However, the strange behaviour while time-warping is still present and has nothing to do with KIS as it happens to non linked vessels too.

• 6 months later...

v0.5.0 released with support for the Toolbar mod contributed by nanathan.

By default the AppLauncher button and Toolbar are both configured to "auto", meaning if the Toolbar mod is installed the AppLauncher button will hide itself and the Toolbar will be used preferentially. If you prefer to always have the AppLauncher button you can create a MM patch to force it to be enabled like so:

@HOT_SPOT:AFTER[HotSpot]
{
    %GUI
    {
        %APPLAUNCHER
        {
            %enable = true
        }
    }
}

Edited by zengei

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question... Why is thermal rate given in kW? My only issue with this is that kW as a unit is useless in thermo calculations without given specific heat numbers for each part, and there very clearly aren't. Thermal Monitor gives thermal rate as K/s, which is the unit I want, but Hotspot gives a breakdown of where the heat is coming and going, which is very useful for troubleshooting heating issues.

tl;dr would adding the option of displaying thermal rate as K/s be considered, and if not, why not?

7 hours ago, jdjk7 said:

Question... Why is thermal rate given in kW? My only issue with this is that kW as a unit is useless in thermo calculations without given specific heat numbers for each part, and there very clearly aren't. Thermal Monitor gives thermal rate as K/s, which is the unit I want, but Hotspot gives a breakdown of where the heat is coming and going, which is very useful for troubleshooting heating issues.

tl;dr would adding the option of displaying thermal rate as K/s be considered, and if not, why not?

Actually each part in KSP does have a specific heat, it's necessary for the thermal simulation to make any sense. I just don't think it's readily shown anywhere. Could be something I add to this mod.

Anyway, why don't I show thermal rate in K/s? Because the native unit is in watts, calculating K/s is just more effort on my part, and nobody has asked for it yet.

Now that you have I'll probably implement it at some point.

Question and perhaps a feature request:

Do you guys find that there's a certain temperature "mode" that's most helpful? This mod gives a lot of data, which is awesome, but it feels like too much to have on all the time. And the overlay only let's you pick one option. Particularly curious of parts tend to fail more often because of high internal temps or skin temps. I expect the answer is hard to say, but just curious.

I thought it might be nice if we had the option for the overlay to cycle rather than toggle. I imagine you can choose from all the options, just like for the right click menu. And instead of F11 toggling a single option on/off it would cycle through all of the options you chose. The overlay is most helpful to me, and it would be nice if I could check multiple options at a glance like this.

10 hours ago, zengei said:

Actually each part in KSP does have a specific heat, it's necessary for the thermal simulation to make any sense. I just don't think it's readily shown anywhere. Could be something I add to this mod.

Anyway, why don't I show thermal rate in K/s? Because the native unit is in watts, calculating K/s is just more effort on my part, and nobody has asked for it yet.

Now that you have I'll probably implement it at some point.

I figured there must be a specific heat or equivalent, but yeah, I've never seen it. Would be a neat feature for those who are versed in thermo.

A K/s unit would be very appreciated. The lack of it is pretty much the only gripe I have about your mod, which is otherwise works wonders.

On 4/29/2016 at 11:34 AM, jofwu said:

I thought it might be nice if we had the option for the overlay to cycle rather than toggle. I imagine you can choose from all the options, just like for the right click menu. And instead of F11 toggling a single option on/off it would cycle through all of the options you chose. The overlay is most helpful to me, and it would be nice if I could check multiple options at a glance like this.

Added as issue #63.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, I'm looking to beef up the gallery in the OP. So if you use this mod and think you have some good screenshots of it in action, I may feature it in the gallery.

Requirements:

• Has to have the Hot Spot overlay enabled (obviously).
  • At least 1920x1080 (HD) resolution.
  • Max or near-max graphical settings (they should look good!)
  • No UI elements, F2 is the default keybinding to hide the UI elements.
  • You must license it under a Creative Commons license of your choice, excluding the NoDerivatives (ND) licenses.

Send me a private message with your screenshot(s) (don't post in this thread) along with the license, Hot Spot metric and scheme being used, and any prominent part/visual mods used (people will inevitably ask).

Thanks!

Edited by zengei

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, keidax said:

Having an issue with 1.2.0: the overlay is not working at all. Pressing F11 just gives me the stock thermal overlay. Context menu metrics seem to be fine though.

Need logs and the bug reproducible in a clean install with only Hot Spot and Module Manager installed. See:

Also, create a file in your GameData directory (that ends with .cfg) with the follow content to enable debug logging:

@HOT_SPOT:NEEDS[HotSpot]:AFTER[HotSpot]
{
    %DIAGNOSTICS
    {
        %logLevel = Debug
    }
}

I just installed the latest HotSpot in KSP 1.2. I did not have it there before, since I started over with a clean install when 1.2 hit.

What I noticed right away, on a 560-part monster rocket I happened to drag to the launch pad, was the old "pause every few seconds" behavior I used to have with KSP 1.1.3 and earlier. When I removed HotSpot and launched the same monster rocket, it performed fine, no pauses.

We know Squad drastically improved performance, in part by eliminating usage of all foreach and LINQ statements in Unity. Might this add-on benefit from a similar optimization?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.